MX record domain has expired. I need it chaged, kinda lost on what to do..

I have a site mydomain-name.com that is running and the mail server for it was mail.mydomain-name.org

However the mydomain-name.org has expired and I don't want to renew it. I just want to use the .com domain and have the mail use mail.mydomain-name.com

So i created the MX records for the .com domain .. Now my question is do i have to also contact my registar for the domain and ask them to update their records so that now it points to the new MX ??

I am really new at this stuff so please bare with me.. when i do an nslookup in DOS it still shows the .org as my mail server.

mydomain-name.com MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = mail.mydomain-name.org

Is this something that needs to be changed at the registrar level ??

You don't have to let your registrar know unless they're the ones providing DNS for the domain. You should be able to just make the changes on your DNS server that is authoritative for the domain. However, it can take some time for the changes to go through, based on the TTL value and some randomness.
    -Mark Adams
    www.bitserve.com - Secure Michigan web hosting for your business.
    Only host still offering a full money back uptime guarantee and prorated refunds.
    Offering advanced server management and security incident response!

You registrar has control over your name server entries only and the MX needs to be added to your dns zones, probably using your control panel such as plesk or cpanel (depending on what is installed.)

try a dns lookup after its added so that you d know when to start sending / receiving mails

Quote Originally Posted by bitserve View Post
    You don't have to let your registrar know unless they're the ones providing DNS for the domain. You should be able to just make the changes on your DNS server that is authoritative for the domain. However, it can take some time for the changes to go through, based on the TTL value and some randomness.
    Yes my registrar is the one who is providing the DNS for my servers.. my NS1 and NS2 are pointing to my host.

I assume I have to contact them then and tell them to update their records to point to the new mx domain?

Quote Originally Posted by activelobby4u View Post
    You registrar has control over your name server entries only and the MX needs to be added to your dns zones, probably using your control panel such as plesk or cpanel (depending on what is installed.)

try a dns lookup after its added so that you d know when to start sending / receiving mails
    I did add the MX to my .com domain in the control panel, however the NS for the .com domain is done through my host, so I assume i have to get them to update their end..

What is a good DNS lookup tool?

in that case, yes, you should contact your registrar.

Many registrars have their dns editing tool online and you should be having one too, which would help you setup the MX without actually contacting them.

you can try dnsstuff.com for dns lookups

Quote Originally Posted by activelobby4u View Post
    in that case, yes, you should contact your registrar.

Many registrars have their dns editing tool online and you should be having one too, which would help you setup the MX without actually contacting them.

you can try dnsstuff.com for dns lookups
    Thanx, I was afraid that was the case, will have to contact them, they unfortunately don't have a dns editing tool, have to ask them all the time i need changes made.

dnsstuff.com used to be great but now they want $$$. Might have to invest

Thanx for the tips.

The server where your domain is hosted does not have nameservers running?
    David | www.cliffsupport.com
    Affordable Server Management Solutions sales AT cliffsupport DOT com
    CliffWebManager | Access WHM from iPhone and Android

Quote Originally Posted by david510 View Post
    The server where your domain is hosted does not have nameservers running?
    I am using my hosts name servers for my domain.

Ok, then contact the host
    David | www.cliffsupport.com
    Affordable Server Management Solutions sales AT cliffsupport DOT com
    CliffWebManager | Access WHM from iPhone and Android

Why not give http://www.zoneedit.com a try. They are free, but only for 1 domain the last time I check.