Question vBulletin Dedicated Hosting Specifications Questions..

Hi All,

I will be moving my vBulletin forums to a new dedicated server soon. I have been looking around for a suitable server specs, and I would like to ask you the following questions:

1- If I have the option to maximize one of the following only: the Processor, The Memory, or The Hard Disk. Which one should I go for?

2- Are there any certain settings that I can change in my server environment to get maximum performance for my forums?

3- Do you recommend a certain provider for dedicated servers? Which? And Why?

The goal is to maximize the performance of my 500 Online users vBulletin forums.

Waiting for your answers.

Thanks All.

VidER

Greetings Vider

With vBulletin, there are a few things that can help you:

1) Run memory caching to greatly reduce your server load and increase speed

2) For 500 users online, you should consider using a good amount of RAM and a little less on processor.

And use a PHP cache like eAccelerator or xCache.
    :: iMountain.com Solar Powered Hosting - Same location for 20 years
    :: Clustered, HSphere, Webhosting, VPS, Dedicated and Luxury clusters
    :: Specializing in Database clustering and optimization for vBulletin, Joomla and Wordpress sites.

1- If I have the option to maximize one of the following only: the Processor, The Memory, or The Hard Disk. Which one should I go for?
    Memory for sure.
    2- Are there any certain settings that I can change in my server environment to get maximum performance for my forums?
    Depends on forums. Are the active visited or are they have large content only?
    3- Do you recommend a certain provider for dedicated servers? Which? And Why?
    Go through offers section for dedicated and maybe for VPS.
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
    >>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.

What kind of budget are you setting for this project?

With something that is highly dynamic you may want to nix the idea of a VPS -- though based on your first question I suspect you're looking only towards dedicated only.

The cost difference between a celeron with 512MB RAM and a multi-core Xeon with 2GB RAM isn't that great these days. All can be had for less than $100/mo.
    Take 2 Hosting, Inc. - Hosting Done Right
    Fully automated setup - new servers in as little as 10 minutes
    http://www.take2hosting.com/

Quote Originally Posted by msherman View Post
    What kind of budget are you setting for this project?

With something that is highly dynamic you may want to nix the idea of a VPS -- though based on your first question I suspect you're looking only towards dedicated only.

The cost difference between a celeron with 512MB RAM and a multi-core Xeon with 2GB RAM isn't that great these days. All can be had for less than $100/mo.
    1. Self promotion is not allowed in any forum except the advertising forums. Just because you don't actually throw your company's name in your post doesn't mean it isn't implied.

2. Don't base the "market price" for multi-core Xeons/2GB RAM based on your own pricing.

6. What type of content does your forum consist of primarily? (text, images etc). One thing to keep in mind is the disk speed. If your forum visitors post pictures in large quantities, then your server disk drives may become the bottleneck, assuming bandwidth doesn't slow you down. You may wish to consider 10,000RPM SATA drives or something even faster if the price differences aren't all that dramatic.

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies.

My Forums are sports forums. So you expect to have a lot of text and images. But I don't host those images, users upload them on free sites and add them to their posts.

I get availability issues during events. Like if the team won a match or something, when I visit the forms few hours after the match it would be dead with TCP error or database errors!

Thats the main reason behind switching servers. I currently run the site on Dedicated as well, but I don't like the host + I guess the environment needs some optimization for this specific type of applications.

Any other suggestions and recommendations guys?

VidER

Get a lot of bandwidth and RAM.

You can get a decent Dual core for $80/month at a lot of places. I run some major sites on a dual core with 2GB RAM and it does well. I don't think you need a $400 server for a forum
    Cash4Berry.com - Sell your cell for cash!

Thanks xtrafile1.

To be honest with you the average rate for the servers I found on that category is around $300!

VidER