Question Hosting Software Javascript required?

I'm looking for everyones thoughts on common hosting software such as billing and support systems requiring javascript.

At this point in time would you consider this a negative in anyway?

Like for example to do listings of data you need javascript to take advantage of sorting, filtering ect.

Considering every browser supports javascript I was thinking to myself is it really necessary to build the same full out functionality not using javascript and web 2.0 type feel.
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and VPS Hosting
    PHP 5.3.x & PHP 5.4.x & PHP 5.5.X & PHP 5.6.X & PHP 7.0.X Support!

I dont see it as negative really. I have a few choice words to describe people that do not have js turned on by default on their browser.

Sure, stick to Javascript only. IMO that is no problem...

However, remember to use <noscript> or whatever to inform the user if they have Javascript disabled - or use some sort of gateway to check Javascript is enabled before even entering the panel.

You may perhaps want to make a version that mobile users can make use of too, for a few of the main functions. This may be the part that you wish to work with non-javascript supporting browser as some mobile devices could run into problems.

Our in house applications all make use of javascript to generate easy to manipulate listings of things and a lot of other neat web 2.0 like things. We've been debating having client side of some things act like this as well. We've also been looking into letting our customers make use of some of the software where it makes sense. So I figured may as well ask other web hosts since our customers are web hosts themselves who would use the software.

So still looking for more opinions on this
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and VPS Hosting
    PHP 5.3.x & PHP 5.4.x & PHP 5.5.X & PHP 5.6.X & PHP 7.0.X Support!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
    I'm looking for everyones thoughts on common hosting software such as billing and support systems requiring javascript.

At this point in time would you consider this a negative in anyway?
    Yes.

It really depends what your corporate values are, and who your target audience is.

If it's almost entirely non-security conscious users, you can assume they'll run their browser at lower security settings.

If you want to support security conscious users, then you must assume they have tuned their browser settings to the highest possible settings, which by definition exclude client side scripting.

Here's an objective experiment: examine the last 100 vulnerabilities at any major security site (e.g. CERT), and see how many casually end with a statement to the effect of oh, by the way, none of this applies if you have client side active scripting off.

Ultimately, it's your choice whether to follow the herd or aspire to a higher level.

Speaking of security, I highly recommend the following book:

Innocent code : a security wake-up call for Web programmers
    by Sverre H. Huseby
    published John Wiley & Sons, 2004

It's an excellent starting point to improve your understanding of web security, and is sufficiently well written that it can be understood even by relatively new programmers, while not being boring for intermediates & seniors. It's very thin, and focused. Zero fat.

Since it's Javascript, some people will have problems loading it. You have to decide whether the improved functionality for most is worth the loss in compatibility/viewability for a few.
    SHAW NETWORKS Simple. Professional. Reliable. Web Hosting Done Right.
    Low Cost & Award-Winning: cPanel Reseller Plans 24/7/365 Live Technical Support
    Website: www.shawnetworks.com Fast Response E-mail: sales @ shawnetworks.com
    Sick of downtime? Fed up with excuses? Drop your host! Switch to Shaw Networks.

I dont understand why people winge and moan about javascript.
    Most browsers these days support security policies to allow trusted websites with the use of Javascript, so even if they restrict websites from using it by default, there is no reason why people need to be anal about websites or services using javascript..

Without javascript, we wouldnt have AJAX, validation could only be done in the backend, website functionality would limited.. There are more valid reasons but I cant think of any right now We have all this great technology advancing Internet presance and business.. AJAX, SilverLight are the next great innovations that will really push websites forward...

Most Mobile devises designed for internet usage support Javascript, and the ones that don't are only WAP browsers anyway.

Anyone who says having Javascript enabled is a security risk clearly has no idea how to configure a secure computer...
    SOA/SaaS/Cloud & Hosting Technology Evangelist
    Note: Any opinions expressed are my own and not of anyone else or my companies.