Thread: Node2 Colo UK

Node2 Colo UK

Anyone have any opinions on Node2 colocation up in near Derby?

Seem to offer a good price point, but whats the service like?

I think you mean Node4? AFAIK they only have connectivity from Kingston to the site..
    UK Dedicated Servers since 2003
    www.ukservers.com - 0800 610 1 620

I went to visit them a couple of weeks back. Facility is good (owned building, pretty much custom build out, physically secure), pricing is *great*, location is ideal for driving to (right next to the derby ground and very little traffic (except match days)). They have plenty of capacity available (30+ racks avail now and a second hall being built out).

The downsides? No 24/7 onsite engineer (out of hours, on-site access is available 'within 1 hour') and they only carry Kingston from the facility itself with everything else coming in from exchangepoint london and telecity. Also though there's just the single generator and grid feed at this point.

I was only assessing them for a DR solution, for which they seem more than capable. For more critical items you'd probably need to look closer and do your own cost/benefit on them.

All of the above is based on a 30 minute tour/meeting, from memory and without actually having any equipment housed there... So double check everything I said too
    Last edited by PipeTen; 02-25-2008 at 08:52 AM. Reason: clarified remote hands being 'available' but no 'onsite' 24/7

I suppose that explains the price point they offer!

Thanks for the input

we had a customer who moved from them to us recently. They escaped their contract ahead of time (after 1 month) due to network capacity issues on backhaul links to london.
    Goscomb Technologies Limited - www.goscomb.net / AS39326
    E: [email protected] P: +44 (0) 203 129 4400 F: +44 (0) 203 129 4410
    IP Transit :: Colocation :: Dedicated Servers :: Leased Lines :: DSL
    Registered in England and Wales No. 05672987 - VAT Registration No. 853 7954 80

They did mention upgrades to connectivity but what exactly that was escapes my memory. That doesn't sound promising though.

Single sub-station, multiple (3 I believe) generators. Upgrading to gig between Derby & London I'm told.
    Karl Austin :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    UK Business Hosting and Managed Servers - Hosting for Business Users :: 0800 5429 764
    Call us today and ask about our hosting solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by KDAWebServices View Post
    Single sub-station, multiple (3 I believe) generators. Upgrading to gig between Derby & London I'm told.
    It was explained to me as generator (no S) and I wasn't allowed to see it on my visit (it's out the back). The PDF says however: "The 3x 800kVA Generator (N+1) backs up the UPS in the unlikely
    event of a prolonged mains power failure. The generator is
    diesel driven and there are contracts in place with suppliers to
    make sure the generator keeps going." which says generator (again no S but also 3x)...