Help critique my build and needs

This will be my first dedicated box, have been on a shared server for awhile. Our business has had a nice 'catalog' website for awhile, but we've decided to go e-commerce and are thinking dedicated is the way to go for reliability, security, and speed. Right now we do about 300GB/mo bandwidth, so even with a substantial traffic increase we'll still be fairly low. We don't have a high-volume/inventory business or require a large database, so server speed trumps bandwidth and storage capacity.

quad-core Xenon/Opteron
    4GB ram
    100mbs port
    3000 GB/mo bandwidth over 100mbs switch
    2x 73GB SAS RAID-0
    CentOS/Mysql/php server setup

There are couple of things I'm not sure on and need help deciding:

1) I'm leaning towards a Xenon 3060, but to be honest I'm not sure.

2) The 3000GB bandwidth seems like a better choice vs. 10mbs unmetered since our sales are limited to North America and allows for a better price/performance when peak bursts are factored in.

3) I'll probably go with a 64-bit install for memory addressing, but never had a choice before on a shared-host so I've never dealt with it.

4) I was wondering about backup options too. We've been quoted at 100GB backups for $50/mo and 40gb Evault Disk to Disk for $40/mo. We'll certainly never have more than 10GB storage, so high capacity bandwidth isn't necessary. I'm wondering why that Evault backup is so much more/GB than the other 'plain' backup?

Nice specs there.

If you are ordering this server with cpanel, stay in 32bit first for stability.

You might also considered a managed server if you do not have experience in managing server.

Net

That's a nice hardware setup, the only thing I am wondering is:
    You probably like the 3060 for it's 4MB cache, but it is not a quad-core
    quad-core Xenon/Opteron
    Indeed the difference between 10mbps unmetered/3000GB is only 300GB in bandwidth, but during peak times 100mbps will be a lot more usefull.

As far as memory/OS goes, 32bit will be fine, but if you ever want to upgrade to 6/8GB ram you will have to look for a 64bit OS (or operating systems like Windows Server 2003 Enterprise, which allows 8GB ram on a 32bit OS).

And as Net already recommended, you may want to look for a managed server, just because it saves you a lot of time and headaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Net View Post
    Nice specs there.

If you are ordering this server with cpanel, stay in 32bit first for stability.
    Thanks for the heads-up. We're thinking about using cpanel since we're used to a similar proprietary panel from our old host. On the other hand, I only used it to manage e-mail accounts and pay bills, so it's not mission critical.

Quote Originally Posted by Net View Post
    You might also considered a managed server if you do not have experience in managing server.
    Considering this too, either 3rd party or via host.

Personal opinion, though, I would recommend 3rd party, such as the one for $30/mo (I forget the name).

Also, usually 100mbit ports are a bit extra, just so you know. Though with such a low transfer requirement I'm sure a host can work out a deal with you.

Quote Originally Posted by JelloX View Post
    Personal opinion, though, I would recommend 3rd party, such as the one for $30/mo (I forget the name).
    Platinum Server Management by any chance?

Ok, seems like managed is the way to go along with 32bit O/S and cpanel. The hosts I've been really considering don't offer managed directly, so anyone have opinions 3rd party guys like Platinum Server Management?

Thanks for all your answers so far, really appreciate it.

You may want to do a search for PSM on these forums. They are loved . (also loved by me )

Quote Originally Posted by CaroNet-Rob View Post
    You may want to do a search for PSM on these forums. They are loved . (also loved by me )
    Indeed I did after my last reply
    Price seems about right, also like how they aren't 'pro-active' but will post notices on their website for recommended patches. Definitely like the notion of hands-off management for the big stuff.

Might even help put our merchant bank at ease. Their a little, shall we say 'anxious,' about agreeing to allow online transactions.

Looks like I've got a plan, thanks again for all the advice.