HostGator Initial Impressions - 10/10

I recently switched over to HostGator after a horrific experience with HostNine. I ended up leaving HostNine after a period of downtime followed by one of their employees making strange demands of me in exchange for downtime credit. That incident and their snotty staff, overloaded servers, and inadequate WHM replacement resulted in me looking for a new host. After reading some positive reviews of HostGator on WHT I decided to give them a try.

Setup - 10/10
    HostGator set up my account instantly, just as HostNine had done. One of HostGator's staff members called me up and asked me if I needed help migrating my accounts. They went ahead and moved my accounts/files/databases and WHMCS installation over for me. I had been dreading moving WHMCS over because I thought it would be a real pain to set up the new HostGator license but it turned out to be a non-issue. When I originally signed up with HostNine no one bothered to contacted me about migrating my accounts and I had to do it manually.

HostGator couldn't have handled setup any better so they get full points.

Services - 10/10
    One of the differences I have noticed is that my site now loads much faster than on the HostNine server. I suspect that this might be because HostNine allows resellers to oversell which leads to way too many accounts being crammed onto each server. I haven't had any downtime or temporary slowness with HostGator, so they get full points here.

Value - 10/10
    Great price and a free WHMCS license. Not much more for me to ask for.

Support - 10/10
    All of the staff members I've dealt with so far were polite and helpful. They took care of each issue quickly and called me up when they had questions. I guess they could always be a little faster, but they always replied to me in minutes so there's not much room for improvement there.

Another difference I noticed between HostGator and HostNine is that HostGator usually tried to take care of the issue before they replied to me. With HostNine the first reply was always something like "What's your domain?" or "Which account is this?" even if I had included that information in my ticket. I suspect that HostNine support people get paid per reply or something. Or maybe they just get a kick out of not helping people.

Business Practices - 10/10
    My previous hosts should try harder to emulate HostGator's business practices. HostNine seems to treat their customers like a bunch of drug addicts who will put up with anything as long as they get their next fix -- as long as they keep paying, HostNine doesn't really give a hoot. I think that because HostNine has a lot of new customers coming in because of their ad campaign and low prices, they don't really care if their old customers leave.

With HostGator, I was called a few minutes after opening my account. All of the staff members are polite and helpful. No complaints here, which is surprising because it is one of the main areas where other hosts seem to fall short.

-------------------------

I think that I might have made a mistake earlier by going with a host that has only been around for a year or so. It looks like HostNine has given in to the temptation to overload their servers in exchange for a higher profit margin on each server.

So far HostGator has had all the features my previous hosts had but none of their problems. I don't enjoy giving a host a 10/10, but I feel that I have no choice. In a month or so I plan on writing a more in depth review, so we'll see if they screw up in any way before then.

Final score: 10/10
      0 Not allowed!

Very well-written review. I'm looking forward to your update.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Cisco View Post
    Another difference I noticed between HostGator and HostNine is that HostGator usually tried to take care of the issue before they replied to me. With HostNine the first reply was always something like "What's your domain?" or "Which account is this?" even if I had included that information in my ticket. I suspect that HostNine support people get paid per reply or something.
    I can't speak for HostNine, but HostGator employees don't get credit for replies that don't resolve the issue. There is a bit more too it than that, but thats pretty much the way it works.
    drew@slicie.com - Vertical Scaling Servers
    30 Minute Backups - Pay for what you use
      0 Not allowed!

I recently switched over to HostGator after a horrific experience with HostNine. I ended up leaving HostNine after a period of downtime followed by one of their employees making strange demands of me in exchange for downtime credit. That incident and their snotty staff, overloaded servers, and inadequate WHM replacement resulted in me looking for a new host. After reading some positive reviews of HostGator on WHT I decided to give them a try.

Setup - 10/10
    HostGator set up my account instantly, just as HostNine had done. One of HostGator's staff members called me up and asked me if I needed help migrating my accounts. They went ahead and moved my accounts/files/databases and WHMCS installation over for me. I had been dreading moving WHMCS over because I thought it would be a real pain to set up the new HostGator license but it turned out to be a non-issue. When I originally signed up with HostNine no one bothered to contacted me about migrating my accounts and I had to do it manually.

HostGator couldn't have handled setup any better so they get full points.

Services - 10/10
    One of the differences I have noticed is that my site now loads much faster than on the HostNine server. I suspect that this might be because HostNine allows resellers to oversell which leads to way too many accounts being crammed onto each server. I haven't had any downtime or temporary slowness with HostGator, so they get full points here.

Value - 10/10
    Great price and a free WHMCS license. Not much more for me to ask for.

Support - 10/10
    All of the staff members I've dealt with so far were polite and helpful. They took care of each issue quickly and called me up when they had questions. I guess they could always be a little faster, but they always replied to me in minutes so there's not much room for improvement there.

Another difference I noticed between HostGator and HostNine is that HostGator usually tried to take care of the issue before they replied to me. With HostNine the first reply was always something like "What's your domain?" or "Which account is this?" even if I had included that information in my ticket. I suspect that HostNine support people get paid per reply or something. Or maybe they just get a kick out of not helping people.

Business Practices - 10/10
    My previous hosts should try harder to emulate HostGator's business practices. HostNine seems to treat their customers like a bunch of drug addicts who will put up with anything as long as they get their next fix -- as long as they keep paying, HostNine doesn't really give a hoot. I think that because HostNine has a lot of new customers coming in because of their ad campaign and low prices, they don't really care if their old customers leave.

With HostGator, I was called a few minutes after opening my account. All of the staff members are polite and helpful. No complaints here, which is surprising because it is one of the main areas where other hosts seem to fall short.

-------------------------

I think that I might have made a mistake earlier by going with a host that has only been around for a year or so. It looks like HostNine has given in to the temptation to overload their servers in exchange for a higher profit margin on each server.

So far HostGator has had all the features my previous hosts had but none of their problems. I don't enjoy giving a host a 10/10, but I feel that I have no choice. In a month or so I plan on writing a more in depth review, so we'll see if they screw up in any way before then.

Final score: 10/10
    I don't understand. Last night on AIM you told me you weren't satisfied with HostGator's service and wanted to keep your account at HostNine to see where things went and how we could improve in your eyes.

You then began to tell me how Lance from HostGator gave you four free months of hosting for bashing us on WHT and you agreed to accept additional free months of hosting for future negative posts against us.

I didn't want to mention it on a public forum because to me it's ridiculous but I just have trouble understanding how a review like this or any other review that you make about HostGator can be reliable when you're rewarded with free hosting for making posts on WHT....
    Ben Gabler
    Chairman & CEO, Rocket.net
    Web Hosting Industry Veteran (HostNine, Hostgator, GoDaddy, StackPath)
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by hostnine View Post
    I don't understand. Last night on AIM you told me you weren't satisfied with HostGator's service and wanted to keep your account at HostNine to see where things went and how we could improve in your eyes.
    I told you I no longer wanted to keep my account and asked for it to be terminated.
    You then began to tell me how Lance from HostGator gave you four free months of hosting for bashing us on WHT and you agreed to accept additional free months of hosting for future negative posts against us.
    That is simply not true. It is slander and I am surprised that you would stoop so low.
    I didn't want to mention it on a public forum because to me it's ridiculous but I just have trouble understanding how a review like this or any other review that you make about HostGator can be reliable when you're rewarded with free hosting for making posts on WHT....
    This is a textbook example of defamation. You are absolutely false.

If anyone actually believes hostnine I can provide you with my chat log and show you the bill for my first month of HostGator hosting.

Edit: Actually, I guess I'm not that surprised that HostNine would stoop to an ad hominem attack like this.
    Last edited by Cisco; 02-24-2008 at 08:34 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Here,

I'll provide them for you.

HNine Ben: At this point I have no problem providing you with the $9.98 to your paypal
    fr8xx: I'm not sure if I want to terminate my account
    fr8xx: There's something else you might want to know about
    fr8xx: I signed up for an account with HostGator
    fr8xx: and one of their employees, Lance, called me up, because he knew that I was a previous HostNine customer
    fr8xx: and he gave me 4 months for free hosting because he said that he liked my WHT posts
    fr8xx: and wants me to write more posts for additional free months
    HNine Ben: interesting
    fr8xx: I like their free hosting, but I have some problems with their accounts

I xx'd out your AIM screen name since your instant messenger handle is not public on the forum.
    Ben Gabler
    Chairman & CEO, Rocket.net
    Web Hosting Industry Veteran (HostNine, Hostgator, GoDaddy, StackPath)
      0 Not allowed!

chat logs prove nothing. screenshots do

Hostgator likes ciscos posts?
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=664454
      0 Not allowed!

Cisco, please provide us with your chat log Also, keep in mind chat logs (text) can be easily modified, any of you have screenshots?
      0 Not allowed!

Cisco, we can solve this dispute right now. Is there any reason a HostGator review thread needs to say anything about HostNine, or any other host?
      0 Not allowed!

Screenshots can also easily be modified, unfortunately.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by the_pm View Post
    Cisco, we can solve this dispute right now. Is there any reason a HostGator review thread needs to say anything about HostNine, or any other host?
    I just left HostNine for Host Gator so of course I ended up comparing them.

Update: Ben from HostNine and I have discussed this issue, and I want to retract my statement where I called him a liar. He explained what he thought to me and I don't think he meant anything malicious. I'm going to ask the mods to remove that post of mine.
      0 Not allowed!

Were you really offered 4 months of free hosting to post reviews?
      0 Not allowed!

Question

I just left HostNine for Host Gator so of course I ended up comparing them.

What about the post below:

Here,

I'll provide them for you.

HNine Ben: At this point I have no problem providing you with the $9.98 to your paypal
    fr8xx: I'm not sure if I want to terminate my account
    fr8xx: There's something else you might want to know about
    fr8xx: I signed up for an account with HostGator
    fr8xx: and one of their employees, Lance, called me up, because he knew that I was a previous HostNine customer
    fr8xx: and he gave me 4 months for free hosting because he said that he liked my WHT posts
    fr8xx: and wants me to write more posts for additional free months
    HNine Ben: interesting
    fr8xx: I like their free hosting, but I have some problems with their accounts

I xx'd out your AIM screen name since your instant messenger handle is not public on the forum.

Did they (HG) actually offered you free hosting for review?

If the above is not true, then HostNine is lying?

Net

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Net View Post
    What about the post below:

Did they (HG) actually offered you free hosting for review?

If the above is not true, then HostNine is lying?

Net
    HostGator is not giving me free hosting. Also, HostNine is not lying, they were just misinformed. I have spoken with Ben from HostNine and I believe him.
      0 Not allowed!

I am really confused on your reply.

You said: " and he gave me 4 months for free hosting because he said that he liked my WHT posts "

So, you are saying you ignored this and decided to pay it instead of getting the free months offered to you?

Net
      0 Not allowed!

I can provide you with my chat log and show you the bill for my first month of HostGator hosting.
    Please do so at http://www.webhostingtalk.com/helpdesk/.
      0 Not allowed!