Why paid web hosting?

except more space, more bandwidth, advertising etc why should i go for paid hosting over free?
    any paid hosts that are really cheap but have a huge amount included?

Mostly the advantage of paid hosting is you (usually) get better support for your site. And additional features such as MySQL, MSSQL on windows and a generally better service.

Paid hosts:
    1) does not force ads.
    2) have quality support
    3) offers resources you will need if you are to have popular site {MySQL databases, unlimited email acc...}
    4) does not force you to login every...day
    5) will give you lots of programs you may want to use
    6) may customize everything to your needs
    7) no limits to file types: host whatever you want,provided you have right to do so
    8) will give you certain bonuses (if you sign for a year, you get a discount: that means, they give certain sum back to you)
    9)will move your site for free
    10) you will be able to ask their reps directly at WHT

Quote Originally Posted by maniakaz View Post
    Paid hosts:
    1) does not force ads.
    Thats not true, look at hostgator !!

And you forgot the important thing to mention :

Site uptime !!

x10 makes you login every 2 weeks. i found this host webhostingpad.com (cant do it as a hyperlink- have less then 5 posts) which is good value IMO
    also a free .com domain

With a free host, you never know when they close down or how long your site may be offline.

For personal/hobby sites, free hosting would be okay. But as for sites with a good number of visitors and email going in and out throughout the day... Free hosting is no goood... People dont wanne keep coming back to a site which is up one day, and down the other day..

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous111 View Post
    x10 makes you login every 2 weeks. i found this host webhostingpad.com (cant do it as a hyperlink- have less then 5 posts) which is good value IMO
    also a free .com domain
    yeah yeah yeah

WHATEVER

Go use your "free" hosting, and leave us alone.

Posts like yours are a waste of time, because it's obvious you've made up your mind, and nothing written here is going to change your mind.

the best free host i found was **********.com
    minimal space though for a big website.
    x10 is rubbish. i dont use it. no MYSQL, useless.
    Last edited by anonymous111; 02-24-2008 at 05:02 PM.

Free hosting generally relies on ads. You get what you pay for; if you pay for shared hosting with a larger host you are taking a gamble on SLA/uptime.
    TWC, LLC - USA based w/ three teams behind us!
    We will beat any web development or design quote

http://totalwebcentral.com/

onepaid host forces to log in every 2 weeks.
    oneknown hosts seems to be forcing ads.
    And what about other paid hosts?

I did not mention that you'll get compensation if your site ad paid host is gone too much. What you will get if freehost's server crashes? An "excuse us, oops we did it again" email?

my price range is about $5 to $8
    or 2 to 5 a month hosting. any great web hosts for that price?

my price range is about $5 to $8
    or 2 to 5 a month hosting. any great web hosts for that price?
    What are your disk space and bandwidth requirements? With that budget I'm sure you'll have no problem finding a host. Just be careful and stay away from those hosts who give you a ton of space and bandwidth.
    Rageki Web Hosting Solutions - Canada & United States Web Hosting
    DirectAdmin & cPanel Control Panels
    99% Uptime!
    30 Day Money Back Guaranteed!

Yeah, watch out for oversellers. If the offers seem too good to be true, then they probably are.

Also the price depends on what sort of control panel and what platform you want, e.g Windows or Linux.

hard drive
    Space left= 56.4 GB

hard drive
    Space left= 56.4 GB
    Sorry I don't understand your post. How much space and bandwidth would you require for your hosting?
    99% Uptime!

it would be a reasonable site, but i dont have a great knowledge of coding. can do some HTML and basic CSS. need to work on that a bit.
    not a great deal of space and bandwidth however i would like hosting with advertising (google adwords) so i can get more traffic/ bandwidth. so a few GB space and 50 GB bandwidth would be fine

it would be a reasonable site, but i dont have a great knowledge of coding. can do some HTML and basic CSS. need to work on that a bit.
    not a great deal of space and bandwidth however i would like hosting with advertising (google adwords) so i can get more traffic/ bandwidth. so a few GB space and 50 GB bandwidth would be fine
    For 50gb of bandwidth I would suggest increasing your budget to around $5-$8 a month if you expect to get quality service.
    99% Uptime!

that is my budget 3 to 5 a month.
    what is the best hosting out there for that price?
    bluehost?

hard drive
    Space left= 56.4 GB
    I dont think this person knows. I think they posted the amount of free space from their own personal computer.

I would go with hostgator because they seem to be able to fulfill your needs.
    99% Uptime!

sorry that was a stupid mistake.
    my fault. disk space+ bandwidth are the first 2 things mentioned on a paid web host.

i dont operate off linux.
    or does it matter?

If you don't use linux you could always get Windows Based web hosting.
    99% Uptime!

It really does not matter when it comes to hosting what operating system the server has, either Linux or Windows. What does matter however, is the Control Panel offered and what your main objective regarding hosting content is going to be.

hostgator is for linux only, so would it work? that is what i am asking. and i have windows

Yeah it would, you only really need Windows hosting if you are going to use ASP scripts or need MSSQL.

Quote Originally Posted by iastaff View Post
    What are you trying to host?
    i wouldn't need MSSQL but i would need MYSQL to create a phpBB forum which would be part of it. it would have a theme (ranting/debates aka 'soapbox'anyone think that is a good idea?), possibly some videos, games, obviously a forum, archives (possibly)
    the actual rant/debate part of the site, a blog, video games, lots basically. also maybe a 'basement' selling the odd thing here and there and if the site became really popular, merchandise for the site

I think Linux would be very good for you. It will host a phpbb forum very well. As toyour Soapbox, it sounds like a good idea as well. People from all around the world love to debate.

i wouldn't need MSSQL but i would need MYSQL to create a phpBB forum which would be part of it. it would have a theme (ranting/debates aka 'soapbox'anyone think that is a good idea?), possibly some videos, games, obviously a forum, archives (possibly)
    the actual rant/debate part of the site, a blog, video games, lots basically.
    Well then Linux should be fine, with someone such as HostGator. But remember you can still use Windows hosting, you're not just limited to Linux.

thank you,
    debates would include things like euthanasia, abortion, smoking ban etc. i am interested in linux, apparently it has far less viruses then windows, but what do you do after downloading a FREE linux client?

For Linux hosting, you dont need to download anything. Everything is provided by your hosting company.

thank you,
    debates would include things like euthanasia, abortion, smoking ban etc. i am interested in linux, apparently it has far less viruses then windows, but what do you do after downloading a FREE linux client?
    You personally, don't have to download anything to do with Linux. The host does all that for you on their servers. All you need to do is upload your files from your Windows PC onto their servers. And then set up the MySQL database.

how long does that take? and which free client do you reccomend?

how long does that take? and which free client do you reccomend?
    Hosting set up is different for each provider in terms of time frames. For uploading, I would say go with CuteFTP. This is an excellent client.

Quote Originally Posted by iastaff View Post
    For uploading, I would say go with CuteFTP. This is an excellent client.
    Aye, thats an awesome piece of software.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmaps View Post
    Aye, thats an awesome piece of software.
    I totally agree. Its one of the fastest FTP clients I have ever seen. I have used it for over 2 years now and wouldn't ever think of using anything else.

isnt filezilla any good or core FTP lite?

isnt filezilla any good or core FTP lite?
    Yeah they are still good, it's just that CuteFTP is the best in my opinion. You might also want to have a look at SmartFTP. Thats pretty good aswell.

You pay for what you get, especially when its crunch time. And if you don't pay anything.....