Server for vB Forums as Big as WHT

I was wondering what type of specs (Processor, RAM, Bandwidth, ect) would be good for a vBulliten forum, say about as big and popular as WHT without any slow downs or anything? and how much a month do you think that would run, on average (unmanaged)?

Well I suppose a server would need to have a quad core processor, if not two quad processors, 12+GB RAM, Raid 10 array with SAS drives, and a good bandwidth pool from multiple tier 1 providers plus some good peerings.
    On the other hand you could also cluster it up and use dual processors and such, it all depends on how small your forum is currently and how big you expect it to grow.

You don't need that much RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by EEssam View Post
    You don't need that much RAM.
    You're silly.

You'll need several high-end, load balanced servers and a team of administrators who know what they're doing.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

I think he was talking about cristibighea's mention of needing 12gb+ ram
    $this->hasFlavr() ? $nom->nom('nom') : $want->doNot()

Yeah, I know. Our shared servers alone have 16 GB RAM and they don't work nearly as hard as I suspect WHT's servers do.

--Tina
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Don't forget to factor in some sort of DDoS protection/mitigation if you think you may become the target of a script kiddie or two.

While I suppose it's possible, I can't imagine many people would try to do it on one server. Get a big beefy SQL machine (possibly a MySQL cluster), and then load-balance across several webservers. Since I don't build busy server clusters for a living, I'll refrain from giving you specific details. But this isn't a one-server job, unless you buy Enterprise 10Ks.

(As an aside: what is WHT running for hardware?)

SQL:

Clustered configuration with a master 'write' server and replication down to multiple read / select nodes, preferably the use of a caching engine like memcached.

Web:

serveral hardware load balanced web servers

Exact specs will vary dependent upon your traffic and other specifics but expect your read db nodes to contain a minimum of 4 cores and atleast 16gb ram for optimal performance, the more of your db that can live in ram, the better.

so WHT has multiple servers and 16GB+ of ram??? thats insanity... the price for that must easily be 1000 bucks a month

i'm just 1 guy who knows wants to run a big forum, but knows nothing about php, mysql, ect except forums take up a lot of power. it doesn't even seem plausible for me to run a WHT-size forum...does it?
    Last edited by WebDivx; 02-25-2008 at 09:23 AM.

Get some sponsorships and ads placed on the site and the costs won't seem that high . In case you didn't know WHT is part of iNET Interactive which is pretty big.

Quote Originally Posted by WebDivx View Post
    so WHT has multiple servers and 16GB+ of ram??? thats insanity... the price for that must easily be 1000 bucks a month

i'm just 1 guy who knows wants to run a big forum, but knows nothing about php, mysql, ect except forums take up a lot of power. it doesn't even seem plausible for me to run a WHT-size forum...does it?
    Do you realize how much traffic and advertising revenue WHT gets? Last I remember, WHT is worth around $3,000,000.

No, it isn't plausible for you to run a WHT-size forum. Not because you don't have the capability, but because you don't have the vision.

--Tina

Quote Originally Posted by AH-Tina View Post
    Do you realize how much traffic and advertising revenue WHT gets? Last I remember, WHT is worth around $3,000,000.

No, it isn't plausible for you to run a WHT-size forum. Not because you don't have the capability, but because you don't have the vision.

--Tina
    I'm sure WHT is worth significantly more than that, take a look at their published advertising rates, I'm sure it's easily generating > $3mil/year in revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
    I'm sure WHT is worth significantly more than that, take a look at their published advertising rates, I'm sure it's easily generating > $3mil/year in revenue.
    Ya my guess is they could easily get 15 to 20 million, huge growth potential, traffic/community all built, etc..
    Like passive recurring revenue you can retire on?
    You focus on building your brand, we handle all support, billing, and more.
    Pressed.net - Start your own Managed WordPress Hosting Company