Thread: DDOS and VPS

DDOS and VPS

I never had problems on my shared server from ddos but on my new VPS which stats are at:

256 + 64 MB ram
    768 MB Burst Ram
    10 GB disk space
    200GB bandwith
    Cpanel/ WHM

My host said they have optimized apache, and installed 'DDoS-Deflate' for preventing DDOS attack effectively. It will not allow the number of apache connections becoming more than 25 from the same IP.

They have added the cornjob which will execute 'ddos.sh' every seconds.

yet my sites are still down due to the ddos, anyone else have advice or problems with this?

Thats not much ram, maybe try upgrading your ram.

Alreadying spending $40 month and i cant afford more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeTFG View Post
    My host said they have optimized apache, and installed 'DDoS-Deflate' for preventing DDOS attack effectively.
    The thing about DDoS Deflate is that it is not a real time protection in its essence.

Running the netstat is yet another thing that is a negative, because it creates a huge amount of load on the server.

This protection is just banning identical IPs and this may, in most cases, ban a legitimate user who is not trying to DDos you.

Hi,

Actually I would recommend you to move to a server where they offer ddos protection at the network level. Specialized HTTP filtering is quite expensive, and not commonly offered by companies. For instance, try contacting www.gigenet.com or www.staminus.net or www.awknet.com. All three are specialized on ddos protection and might help you with it.

One customer of mine was having similar problems on his server (it was a dedicated server), he then moved to theplanet where they say every connection is protected by cisco guard, and it seems to have stopped, I'm not sure if it was the protection or the change of ip, but he seems happy enough now.

Best regards and good luck,

Quote Originally Posted by ElTino View Post
    This protection is just banning identical IPs and this may, in most cases, ban a legitimate user who is not trying to DDos you.
    Having mentioned that I think that eugeniopacheco's post comes right on time.

Quote Originally Posted by eugeniopacheco View Post
    Actually I would recommend you to move to a server where they offer ddos protection at the network level.
    This would be the best thing to do in such cases!

We have to mention one very important thing which is regarding DDos Deflate. This solution so to speak is meant to handle small attacks. When we talk about attacks from a major csale the picture is totally different. DDos deflate is incapable of dealing with massive attacks and that is 100% sure.

It performs the filtration on the web server level and limits the queries to just one IP.
    And when this number exceeds the capabilities of the server - game over
    Last edited by ElTino; 02-26-2008 at 09:32 AM.

I can not afford to pay that much a month for a server

for a more detailed view on whats taking up all my memory heres an image, any help would be nice

http://i32.tinypic.com/30tj8t1.png

and i dont have the money for a 200/month server as you posted.
    Last edited by JakeTFG; 02-26-2008 at 06:30 PM.

There are many vps hosts who are under your price range who will give you better specs then what you have for a lower price, Such as jaguarpc, and they will happily help you with ddos attacks if price is what your worried about