Rack power consumption in the UK

My nearest major city is Manchester, so naturally I'm looking for rackspace in the region.

Unless anyone has better suggestions, I'm thinking of going with NorthernColo. They start at 50/month but jump to 70/month if you draw more than 1A of current.

If my basic physics is anything to go by, 0.5A at our 240V means a maximum server power rating of 120 watts.

...are there any dual-core / 2GB RAM box configurations which consume less than 300W thesedays? My own USB mouse for my laptop consumes 50mA.

Otherwise I'm begining to think of their 0.5A pricing as being a bit of a scam, since the 1A price also pays for 2U worth of space.

Hi,

We have found servers based with 1 SATA drive, 4GB Ram and 1 x Quadcore 2.3Ghz uses around 0.5 amp.

-Chris

Dell r200 will pull about 0.2-0.3A

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

I build my own servers....

my usual spec is:

2.8 D Core
    1 x 250gb hdd
    2gb ram

doesnt pull no more then 0.3-0.4 amps. your have to have a serious server with lots of hard drives to pull 1.0a.

Thanks for the info, I didn't think modern servers were so efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by W3bbo View Post
    Otherwise I'm begining to think of their 0.5A pricing as being a bit of a scam, since the 1A price also pays for 2U worth of space.
    Not really, if you have 16Amps of power capacity in a 42U rack, that's 32x .5Amp servers, you will run out of power before you run out of space. UK colo pricing is increasingly being driven by power costs.

Servers based on motherboards supporting the Xeon 3000 series should be suitable.
    Andrew Ogilvie | Xtraordinary Hosting | AS30827 | Member of LINX
    Dedicated Servers in Central London | Xen VPS Linux & Windows | Complex Hosting | London BGP4 Bandwidth

Hi

for manchester look at www.ukeasily.co.uk they offer manchester colo, and so do www.melbourne.co.uk
    Cyber Host Pro Ltd - over 10 years in the UK hosting industry.
    Website Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Cloud VPS Servers | Dedicated Servers
    ★ WhiteLabel OnAPP Cloud VPS Reseller Program, Failover, 10Gbit SFP+ Dual SAN storage with Cpanel, Plesk & Windows server.
    www.cyberhostpro.com - UK Call Centre + 24x7 Online Chat

It's probably down to cooling reasons. i.e. my 47u rack has a 16 amp feed of which I can only use 8. Thats around .2 amps per U. More modern DCs probably have the cooling to do 16amps in one rack though.
    I use poweredge 2950's with dual (2.33Ghz-2.66Ghz) quad core Intel CPUs, 16gb RAM, 4 SAS drives, RAID controller, remote access card etc and they pull around 1.5-1.7 amps in 2Us.