Steadfast Networks - My Opinion

I've recently been mentioning my positive experience with HostGator in various posts here. Due only to a change in my own needs, I chose to switch hosts. Based only upon what I've read in these forums, I decided to give Steadfast Networks a try. Here are my initial thoughts...

The Plan

Shared hosting, "Basic Plan" for the moment, but I expect to upgrade to a higher shared plan in the near future.

Account Setup:

Lightning fast. Received the confirmation email with initial logon credentials within a minute.

Control Panel:

I've been creating websites for close to 15 years. For a short time I was also a hosting reseller. 100% of my experience has been with WHM/Cpanel and I know my way around that combination very well. Steadfast uses H-Sphere. This caused me a little concern before signing up, but I am an IT Director by trade and assumed I'd be able to figure it out with relative ease.

Upon my initial login to my shiny new control panel at Steadfast, it took me about 5 minutes to learn my way around.

As the day, night, and morning, went on, I found myself digging deeper into H-Sphere. About half-way through today (day 2 of hosting), the revelation struck me...

What the heck was I doing for all those years with CPanel?!?!? H-Sphere is amazing. I hope that I never see CPanel again. Now, I'm basing this on H-Sphere at Steadfast - and I can only assume that it's a pretty "standard" version of it. But, I am 100% satisfied with this change.

Moving In:

So far I've moved about 9 of my websites over to Steadfast - all from HostGator. 5 of those are Wordpress blogs.

95% of the move went perfectly smooth. The static websites were an easy copy, no surprises there. For the Wordpress sites, I simply exported the data from MySQL at HostGator, then imported into the new databases I set up at Steadfast, and copied over the relevant files. Again, most of this went very smooth - with the exception of one import, for which I had to contact Steadfast support (more on that shortly).

For whatever reason, my FTP downloads from HostGator were much slower than my FTP uploads to Steadfast. I did not conduct any thorough tests of throughput here - it's merely an observation.

Support:

During the initial day of moving in, I submitted 3 support tickets to Steadfast. One of them I canceled shortly after submission because the error was on my end. Now, on to the remaining two...

The first support ticket was submitted with a "normal" status at 5:20PM. The initial response from their support arrived back to me at 5:31PM. Not only was I 100% satisfied with the speed of the reply, I was 100% satisfied with the answer. Although - due to my own problem - the issue was not immediately resolved, I continued to receive similarly quick replies to my follow-up questions, until I was able to resolve the problem (with a database import). I could not have asked for better service.

The second support ticket was related to spam control, and was also not urgent. The response to this ticket was more than acceptable, and answered the question accurately and completely on the first reply.

I rarely need to contact support for my hosting needs. Usually less than once per year. But I'm happy to see that when I do, I can expect a quick response from Steadfast.

The Servers:

None of my websites use a huge amount of server or bandwidth resources. My initial opinion is that the load times are about the same as HostGator, but that any MySQL calls are measurably quicker. I'll do more analysis on this over time, but everything is better than expected at the moment.

My Conclusion:

Unless there are any surprises coming up, I expect that I'll be sticking with Steadfast for quite a while. Based upon what I've seen so far, I would recommend them without hesitation.
    ~ "Hello, my name is Tom, and I'm a web hosting addict..." ~
    A couple of my most recent addictions include:
    Blog About Nothing - No, really...
    Death Etc. - Bringing The Macabre To Life

thank you for this review. I got out my credit card and I am about to sign up with them(as soon as they answer my support ticket)

Even though this is mostly an initial experience type of review, I like it. Do give us updates from time to time.

What the heck was I doing for all those years with CPanel?!?!? H-Sphere is amazing. I hope that I never see CPanel again.
    That's a quote that H-Sphere could put up on their site.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    That's a quote that H-Sphere could put up on their site.
    First of all, thank you for the kind words. Do you mind if we use that testimonial regarding H-Sphere on our site? That is one issue we have, people used to cPanel that don't like the idea of changing, but after changing I'd say 90%+ prefer H-Sphere over cPanel. Comments from people who have made the change would likely be a great help.

Also, I'm glad everything has gone smoothly for you. If you do ever have an issue that isn't resolved promptly feel free to contact me directly.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Quote Originally Posted by KarlZimmer View Post
    First of all, thank you for the kind words. Do you mind if we use that testimonial regarding H-Sphere on our site? That is one issue we have, people used to cPanel that don't like the idea of changing, but after changing I'd say 90%+ prefer H-Sphere over cPanel. Comments from people who have made the change would likely be a great help.

Also, I'm glad everything has gone smoothly for you. If you do ever have an issue that isn't resolved promptly feel free to contact me directly.
    Karl - You are more than welcome to quote anything I've written for use on your website, along with my name and website - just email me if you have any questions. I'd be happy to answer questions that might calm the anxieties of other CPanel refugees.

- Tom

Quote Originally Posted by KarlZimmer View Post
    ... but after changing I'd say 90%+ prefer H-Sphere over cPanel...
    ... and doctors have been unable to determine what's wrong with the other 10%.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike in FL View Post
    Some people are just THAT used to cPanel, or I guess it is more common that Fantastico had one app they needed that EasyApp in H-Sphere doesn't have and they don't want to bother following a couple lines of instructions to install it themselves, even though we'd be more than happy to help them if there were any issues.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Glad to see you have found a good host to stettle down with.

One question does anyone have a link to a " H-Sphere" Demo User, I can only find a demo for the admin section, and im not sure if its a old version runnning but it does not look to impresive.

Thanks,
    Ash

steadfast.net has a working demo

Thanks gigzone, didn't think about looking at a company that sold the hosting, was looking for one hosted by the company who designed the product themselves.

Thanks

Edit:

Thanks Gigzone again, I didnt want to create another Post and Hijack this OP Topic anymore, thanks for all the links will have a look at the CP now.
    Last edited by Ashley Merrick; 02-24-2008 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Thanking gigzone

http://www.psoft.net/h_sphere_demo_page.html
    and from their site

You can login as admin (login: admin, password: admin) or a test reseller (login: reseller1, password: reseller11) and create/select user accounts. Alternatively, you can signup for an account "from the street".

H-Sphere really is that good. If you have to run a panel, H-Sphere is the way to go.

Nice initial review. Please do keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike in FL View Post
    I suspect that heavy use of pharmaceuticals is the cause...

...or maybe the cure.