Desk Top versus Rack Mounted Servers

I have seen quite a few users stack all their desktops together in the datacentre racks instead of using rack mounted servers.

Actually between rack mounted servers and desktop servers (with the same motherboard and parts) which will be better in the racks and why?

Desktops will be better for ventilation and airflow. You can also fit as much cooling as you want and leave the side panel off. I think FDC do that.

Hi

The difference case rack or case normal, is the medition, case rack is medition for U's (height) on the case normal is predefine established format.(Tower, Big Tower, Barebone etc...)

The difference is the price for U's one tower equivaled 4 U's, is more expensive price, case rack equivaled U's the diference is the price expensive rent units rack on the distribution air for the conductions.
    "Security Through Obscurity" Linux most advanced operating system.

rackmounts are usually better for colo... you usually pay per U, so why buy the exact same server and ship it somewhere and it be a tower, and pay an additional 50 a month, whenevr a 1u does the same, and costs 50 less a month...

DC space is limited, so using less space saves you money...

I would disagree with the airflow comment... rackmount servers are giant vacuums... they have tons of fans in there...

I assume rackmounts have alot of cooling, So disregard my comment on airflow. Just never worked with a Rackmount before so wouldnt know Just know for a fact that with tidy cabling and a couple of fans ATX cases have decent airflow. Although my case im sure you wouldnt ever want one of them in a DC due to the huge size of it.

If you are using all 1 and 2u servers you will probably be far surpassing your datacenters Watt/SqFt rules, at least that is my experience. We have blades, 1u,2u,and 3u servers, along with mini-towers now. Sure the towers take a little more space, but when you already have to purchase excess 100% empty space due to the amount of power concentrated to the racks with the rackmount servers, it gets you to thinking about why not put some Towers in here use less power and fill some of this space?

Quote Originally Posted by tnndotnet View Post
    rackmounts are usually better for colo... you usually pay per U, so why buy the exact same server and ship it somewhere and it be a tower, and pay an additional 50 a month, whenevr a 1u does the same, and costs 50 less a month...

DC space is limited, so using less space saves you money...

I would disagree with the airflow comment... rackmount servers are giant vacuums... they have tons of fans in there...

Colocation you actually pay per sq ft and per Amp. It really depends on the price of the servers and price per sq foot to see if which makes better sense.

Quote Originally Posted by (Stephen) View Post
    but when you already have to purchase excess 100% empty space due to the amount of power concentrated to the racks with the rackmount servers
    Then it's time to pack and move on to a datacenter that can serve your needs. See http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=654426

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by boonchuan View Post
    I have seen quite a few users stack all their desktops together in the datacentre racks instead of using rack mounted servers.

Actually between rack mounted servers and desktop servers (with the same motherboard and parts) which will be better in the racks and why?
    I think it depends on what you have. Let say you have a whole rack but with little power supply, then tower cases can utilize the space and power fully. If you have too little space but lots of power, then rackmounts would utilize your resources better.

Rackmounts are some-time tricky to setup, especially for 1U cases, you are limited to use 1 add-on card (PCI/PCI-X/PCI-E/etc...) and sometime desktop board would not fit in it. Hardwares for rackmounts could be expensive - e.g compare a 1U power supply with a ATX power supply, 1U 400W power PSU sometime cost about $80-120 USD, but a ATX or mATX 400W PSU are much cheaper - $20-40 USD
    Last edited by YUPAPA; 02-23-2008 at 01:33 PM.

Leaving the side off of your desktop does not help with cooling. Proper cooling requires the air to be moved accross the components. By removing the side panel you may reduce the ambient temp of the case but you are actually raising the temp of the internal components.

Airflow is required to remove heat from a heat sync.

11. well, unless you want to take big risk by using those $30 cheapo tower with crapy power supply, a good tower case with good reliable PS is going to be just marginally cheaper than those mini/compact 1U chassis from supermicro (SC512/SC510/SC502/SC503; all come with super reliable PS). even if you opt for these "cheap" rackmountable cases, you still can stack a lot more units than towers can on those baker/bread racks. better yet, it gives you the flexibility to relocate these mini rack servers to a really 2/4-posts rack or cabinet later on if your requirements change.