Mailing List Friendly Hosting Company

Looking for a hosting company that is mailing list friendly. By that I mean my business sends out our list 2-3 times a month to about 30,000 email addresses.

My current hosting is split dedicated service that worked great the first month I had it now it's taking 2 and 3 times as long as it should to send the list. They are trying to get me on a full dedicated server for this.

By friendly I mean they allow unlimited outgoing mail and not the 11 per connection or 500 per day you see at some companies.

My list is a user requested list with all spam compliant opt in and out functions.

Thanks

Brian

In what period of time would you like to see 30.000 emails to be send ?

It will be very hard or almost impossible to find that in a shared environment. All shared hosts will have limits on the number of emails.

I guess, you will have to look at some VPS options.
    What is your budget?
    iHubNet Ltd - Premium Hosting Solutions 4 ALL
    Solid Support Solid Equipment Solid Network
    Shared Hosting / Reseller Hosting / Managed Server
    Matt A.

Quote Originally Posted by 040Hosting View Post
    In what period of time would you like to see 30.000 emails to be send ?
    Well it used to take 4 hours and now is taking 9?

I would suggest VPS or server... as I can see others think almost the same. You just need a good VPS host... take look at ApolloHOsting, Liquid Web, Verio, etc...
    DawHB.com - Web Hosting Blog | VPSHostDir.com - VPS Hosting Media

I second everyone of you who recommend a VPS. It doesn't have to be "high grade" either, just choose a mailserver that is effecient - such as qmail, and set up a relay-service for your mailinglists there.

Try Offshoremode, they allow bulk mailing.

I'd go either for a VPS, or an autoresponder/newletters hosting service. There's a number of them around, and maybe someone can actually recommend you a specific provider.

I would actually recommend Aweber... you'll get far higher deliverability with them than you will with a qmail/sendmail-sent mailing. And it'll cost you a bit less than a VPS.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

For a mailing list that have 30k addresses, you certainly need a VPS.

Most shared plans will only allow around 500 email per day.

Well, he might find a host who will work with him up to 8,000-10,000 emails a day ... but not 30,000.

30k is way over the top, for shared hosting.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

Your have to look for either a VPS or a company that soly run mailing list for you, VPS may be the best option, however If you don't have much skill in the admin side of a server.

Then it may be your best option to grab your self a managed VPS, also will be worth contacting the sales team of the company just to check weather they will be happy/alllow 30,000 emails to be sent via your VPS, always safe to check.

As I doubt your be able to find a Shared Host with a semi Decent uptime that will allow you to send 30,000 emails.

Can't agree more. Check with their sales before sign-up is always a good idea. 30k emails is not a small job even for small VPS.

I doubt a VPS would help, the OP already mentioned he was on a SPLIT dedicated server, those have in general much more capacity as a standard VPS in CPU and Memory.

I believe the OP should check with his current provider why the splitted service is under performing and maybe look to a small dedicated server.

A VPS is not always the natural step between shared-hosting and dedicated-hosting.
    cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

Quote Originally Posted by bithost(NET) View Post
    I would actually recommend Aweber... you'll get far higher deliverability with them than you will with a qmail/sendmail-sent mailing. And it'll cost you a bit less than a VPS.

Bailey
    I checked the prices doing a calculation based on the (roughly) figues the OP stated, and yes indeed - you are right. I do wonder about Aweber's net-abuse record though, as in that line of business it is a hard task keeping up with all of these blacklist agencies.

However, the OP wouldn't have to worry about that outsourcing to such a company, which is a plus.

Have you taken a look at Topica btw?

Aweber's abuse record is excellent, actually, since their system mandates double-opt in to even get the email addresses into their system. They also have dedicated staff who work with ISPs and blacklists to get issues cleared up. They really do an excellent job. Remember they are monitoring their deliverability rates themselves; when they see an issue, they pounce on it. I've checked their blacklist status many times over the past 3 years and they have consistently been very clean. Since mailing is all they do, they have the In's and the relationships with the key people in the industry.

Personally, I am a huge fan of self-mailing lists. I ran the Mojo Mail (now Dada Mail) user forum for a couple of years... I have always self-mailed my stuff for a number of sites/projects. I do believe there's a time and place for self-mailing.

However I do also believe that once you reach that threshold, where the list is large and deliverability is really critical ... then it's time for a professional mailer service. And in the case of Aweber, it's quite affordable.

Bailey

Quote Originally Posted by bithost(NET) View Post
    Aweber's abuse record is excellent, actually, since their system mandates double-opt in to even get the email addresses into their system.
    Hello there ms joker ()

So, what happens when a company with a large existing email-list wants to migrate to Aweber? Will Aweber turn down their business if the client don't want to go through the loops of using double-opt in?

Yes.

Bailey

Flexible and trusting their clients

20. Perhaps you might want to consider a mailing list management service list Aweber instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
    Flexible and trusting their clients
    Except that they have no way of knowing that new sign-ups are trustworthy. Opt-in logs are easily faked. This way they protect their IP space... they have internal proof that every subscriber did opt-in -- because that subscriber opted in through their system. They can then present that proof to the ISP or blacklist immediately, on demand.

In the end it serves to the service's integrity, and assures the high deliverability rates that they advertise. If they didn't do this, they wouldn't be worth recommending, because they'd be fraught with spam and blacklist problems. This is exactly what assures they run a high-quality service.

Bailey