Registering a new domain name on Feb 29th?

I did a search here and nothing came up. But I was wondering...

If you register a new domain name on Feb 29th (Leap Year) does that mean you only have to renew it every 4 years?

IK, it's probably just a stupid question and there is a work around for it, but I just have to know.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Good one Jeff! Did check it but could not find anything...
    IndoUS Hosting Quality IT Services since 2004
    Shared Hosting Reseller Hosting Dedicated Servers Domain Names
    Custom Web Development Mobile Application Development SEO
    Custom E-Commerce Solutions, Sports Portals, Health Care - Health Tourism Portals

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Smith View Post
    If you register a new domain name on Feb 29th (Leap Year) does that mean you only have to renew it every 4 years?
    Ha! Wouldn't that be great?

No, sadly, you have to renew every year. The only outreach we've gotten from any of the registries is for .org, who say that domains registered on the 29th of February will expire on the 28th unless the registration is a multiple of four years, in which case it would expire on the 29th.

In other words, domains registered on 29-Feb will be treated like 28-Feb unless the registration period ends in a leap year.

I suspect that all the registries will handle it the same way, but, again, only PIR have explicitly stated how they are managing leap years.

I could not find any information on this? Where did you get this information from?

Quote Originally Posted by Domainitor View Post
    Ha! Wouldn't that be great?

No, sadly, you have to renew every year. The only outreach we've gotten from any of the registries is for .org, who say that domains registered on the 29th of February will expire on the 28th unless the registration is a multiple of four years, in which case it would expire on the 29th.

In other words, domains registered on 29-Feb will be treated like 28-Feb unless the registration period ends in a leap year.

I suspect that all the registries will handle it the same way, but, again, only PIR have explicitly stated how they are managing leap years.
    Cool thanks for the info man. I'm glad I didn't get my hopes up lol.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Quote Originally Posted by playboy2012 View Post
    I could not find any information on this? Where did you get this information from?
    It was sent as an e-mail from the .org registry operator (PIR) to ICANN-accredited registrars, of which I am one.