Thread: VPS queries.

VPS queries.

Is it feasible to manage Windows and Linux servers and their VPS in Virtuozzo environment?

What do you mean exactly?
    Andrew Cranson, Director of Operations
    Layershift Fully Managed Cloud Hosting :: WizzVPS Cheap Unmanaged VPS
    Jelastic :: Next generation PaaS :: Cloud Hosting
    True 24x7 Technical Support - peace of mind around the clock! UK, USA, Singapore server locations.

Hi,

Do you mean can you manage both Windows and Linux VPS on the same server?

He could mean two things :-

1) Whether he can install Virtuozzo and install both Windows and Linux VPS on the same machine ;

or

2) Whether Virtuozzo has both Windows and Linux versions. If so, can the Windows Version of Virtuozzo runs Windows VPSes and Linux versions running Linux-based VPSes ?

Then again, I may be wrong.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

Perhaps what he's getting at is can PIM manage both Linux and Windows containers? If so, yes it can natively support both Vz4 and VzWin4 from a single installation.
    Andrew Cranson, Director of Operations
    Layershift Fully Managed Cloud Hosting :: WizzVPS Cheap Unmanaged VPS
    Jelastic :: Next generation PaaS :: Cloud Hosting
    True 24x7 Technical Support - peace of mind around the clock! UK, USA, Singapore server locations.

if your trying to run windows and linux at the same time on the same box you might want to look at vmware , virtuozzo wont do this but I think they have parallels too that may do it.
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Email/MSN sales@ceridius.com
    Ceridius Networks - Reseller of Hivelocity Hosting
    Network Speed Test

Quote Originally Posted by HiVelocity View Post
    if your trying to run windows and linux at the same time on the same box you might want to look at vmware , virtuozzo wont do this but I think they have parallels too that may do it.
    In no way you want to use VMWare. Too slow!

But you might want to give Xen a try. Note that if you want to run Windows on Xen, you need to have a processor that has VT (Vanderpool Technology) in order to run full hardware emulation needed for Windows. Most recent processor will have support for it. All multi-core Xeon have it, all quad core, and some of the core 2 duo. I don't know for AMD processors, as we don't use them. You can see this charts for intel processor if you want to check for VT support:

http://www.intel.com/products/proces...t/core2duo.htm

More over, you will need to run the special drivers for windows, that are NOT open source, but available only win Xen Enterprise (500 USD per server). If you don't, then both HDD I/O and network will be slow.

I saw that suse tried to build some open source drivers, but last time I tried, it just ****ed up my windows box, and I had to mount the LVM partition in my Debian dom0 to set the boot.ini, so it could start in safe mode, and then remove that stupid driver.

Appart from that driver problem, it's running really well, with both Linux & Windows on the same server. We don't resell windows VPS, we only use one for the accounting of one of the 3 company we have (the UK one), so I don't know how good it is for doing hosting with a lot of load (we only run desktop applications like open or microsoft office, stuffs like that...). Maybe somebody can talk about it here.

I hope that helps.

Thomas
    GPLHost:>_ open source hosting worldwide (I'm founder, CEO & official Debian Developer)
    Servers & our leading control panel and our Xen VPS hosting, which are already included in Debian and Ubuntu
    Available in: Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Sydney, Seattle, Atlanta, Paris, London, Barcelona, Zurich, Israel

Quote Originally Posted by gplhost View Post
    Apart from that driver problem, it's running really well, with both Linux & Windows on the same server. We don't resell windows VPS, we only use one for the accounting of one of the 3 company we have (the UK one), so I don't know how good it is for doing hosting with a lot of load (we only run desktop applications like open or microsoft office, stuffs like that...). Maybe somebody can talk about it here.
    We have customers running XenServer on dedicated servers with multiple virtualised Windows Servers under commercial load with no issues whatsoever. For people who want to run a mixed Windows and Linux environment XenServer would be a good choice, the GUI for managing virtual machines is quite slick.
    Andrew Ogilvie | Xtraordinary Hosting | AS30827 | Member of LINX
    Dedicated Servers in Central London | Xen VPS Linux & Windows | Complex Hosting | London BGP4 Bandwidth