Netfirms Problems

I hope someone is able to help me if they are familiar with Netfirms. I created an account about 4 or 5 months ago with them and decided to create a web page and paid the 1 year price. I worked on that site and really did nothing else with it. I decided to do a web page for my church something small and simple and so I created another domain but when I publish it, the old address I had when I type the old on in it goes to my new page I odnt know what to do. I want to have both under one account I seen on their site you can do that but their directions are complicated for a noob like myself...lol. Thanks!

I think you need to follow the second part of the instructions on this page (the ones for "If you already own your domain name") : http://support.netfirms.com/article.php?id=038

Perhaps you can contact Netfirms and have them do the necessary steps for you?

Netfirms

If you have a secondary domain with Netfirms, you need to setup a folder for the second domain and set the pointer to it. It's quite simple. Once you have done it, it will be like riding a bike. The other thing is, the Netfirms has excellent support 24/7 email and phone. [email protected] and in Toronto, 416-661-2100. You will get a live person anytime. I have spoken to them many times over the many years I have been hosting with them. Give them a call or message me and I will be glad to help out.
    bub...

They suck. Their customer service is non-existent. I'd recommend you'd transfer your domains ASAP.

Opinions vary. I would be a boring world if we all thought the same!

Hasn't NetFirms been around for a while, and aren't they very huge?

How come their service is so "bad" does anyone have hands on experience about this?

I've used them for about 8 years and have over 100 websites with them. There have been outages, but they are brief and I can phone them 24/7 and always get a live person on the phone. Their shared stats are excellent and their clustered stats are out of this world. Not sure what to say. bad experiences? Yes of course. Nobody has 100% uptime. However, I get email response in less than 4 hours and phone response immediately. Their webmail is a little oldish, well, it's horrible actually, but there is a new release coming. It is developed and in testing now. That's my biggest issue with them right now that is visible to clients. I have design clients with ******, NetNation and many others that have not yet switched to Netfirms, and I could tell you horror stories about some of those experiences. Search ****** in Google news to read about one from just this past week. Today I saw Netfirms first major downtime in ages. About half the sites were down. I was on hold for 5 minutes. I hung up and emailed. Within 45 minutes, all was working and within 90 minutes, I had a response to my email with a full explanation.

bub...
    Last edited by bubbbab; 02-23-2008 at 08:22 PM.

Hmmm I see the *****'s in there in place of a name I used. What'd I do wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by bubbbab View Post
    I've used them for about 8 years and have over 100 websites with them. There have been outages, but they are brief and I can phone them 24/7 and always get a live person on the phone. Their shared stats are excellent and their clustered stats are out of this world. Not sure what to say. bad experiences? Yes of course. Nobody has 100% uptime. However, I get email response in less than 4 hours and phone response immediately. Their webmail is a little oldish, well, it's horrible actually, but there is a new release coming. It is developed and in testing now. That's my biggest issue with them right now that is visible to clients. I have design clients with ******, NetNation and many others that have not yet switched to Netfirms, and I could tell you horror stories about some of those experiences. Search ****** in Google news to read about one from just this past week. Today I saw Netfirms first major downtime in ages. About half the sites were down. I was on hold for 5 minutes. I hung up and emailed. Within 45 minutes, all was working and within 90 minutes, I had a response to my email with a full explanation.

bub...
    I guess you did not notice your sites down for over 3 hours before you phoned since their phones and servers were down for at least that long. It is a little misleading to make it seem like the outage today was 45 minutes.

Your use of the word "misleading" is unfounded. The statement was a discription of my experience. I could hardly describe yours. Perhaps in future, you could simply describe your own experience instead of bringing the words of others into question. It would come across as a little more mature.

I was not questioning your experience, however reading your post makes it seem like the outage was only 45 minutes. I apologize for using the term misleading, as I did not intend to say that you meant to mislead anyone, however it would have been helpful if you had been indicated what time you called them.

Netfirms database problems

Their database server is still down so all wordpress websites are not functioning

Fair enough Aralai, I concur that diarizing would have helped others. Anyway, looks like everything is back up and running. All sites and blogs are cool now. I guess my main point in this thread was, that for me, they have been a pretty good provider given some of the stories and experiences I have had with others. In case it's not posted any where else, here's how they explained it....

"We experienced a service interruption affecting the Netfirms corporate websites and some of our customer hosted websites and e-mail services.

During scheduled power maintenance at our Data Centre on Saturday Feb. 23 at approximately 10:30 AM ET, the building's backup generator system unexpectedly failed, impacting network connectivity. This affected several Internet and Hosting Providers, including Netfirms.

We would like to inform you that your web data is intact and that your e-mail messages are currently queued for delivery over the next several hours.

At this time, our Technology Team is also investigating the cause of the unusual failure with the Data Centre facility in order to prevent further incidences of this nature.
    We sincerely apologize for this service interruption and appreciate your patience while our engineers work diligently to restore services."

We have never experienced NF but one of my friend is using them for almost a year for his HUGE project and he is quite happy with support and all...

Though I must say he has faced some major issues but he is a big client of theirs so they are helping and all...

No idea about how they treat other "normal" few MB clients!
    IndoUS Hosting Quality IT Services since 2004
    Shared Hosting • Reseller Hosting • Dedicated Servers • Domain Names
    Custom Web Development • Mobile Application Development • SEO
    Custom E-Commerce Solutions, Sports Portals, Health Care - Health Tourism Portals

Still Down

Their database server is still down, wordpress still does not work

It must be only some of them. I have many wordpress blogs up and running through them.
    bub...

Still down

Im going to call them now cause 4 of mine are not working

Mixed experiences with Netfirms here. While they have a decent control panel of their own design, scripts (e.g. phpbb or other php-mysql scripts) tended to fail (page just show up blank) ever so often.

We switched to hostgator and find it reasonably better (downtime now and then, but not more than once a month)

Still Down

I just called and got a voicemail saying to leave name and number and domain name and a rep will call me back, never heard that message before, usually I have always spoke to someone, I do like netfirms and this is the 3rd time I have seen in 4 years that they have been down....Very strange

After I read this, I also got the recording. First time in 8 years. Interesting. Could be line jammed by volume.

After I read this, I also got the recording. First time in 8 years. Interesting. Could be line jammed by volume.

They are probably getting flooded with calls if they're still having issues.
    :: iMountain.com Solar Powered Hosting - Same location for 20 years
    :: Clustered, HSphere, Webhosting, VPS, Dedicated and Luxury clusters
    :: Specializing in Database clustering and optimization for vBulletin, Joomla and Wordpress sites.

I have used them for many years and for the most part the experience has been good. In the past year I have noticed more outages and trouble getting a hold of support. My main issue recently has been MySQL errors.

Small site Netfirms experience: Not Good

Very timely thread... since the credit card refund has posted, i'm ready to present my recent experiences with Nefirms: mostly bad yet not entirely.

My background: amateur small-time site creator since mid-1996. Big on content and W3C compliance, small on aesthetics. I have no affiliation with any web hosting company except as a customer (and helping my home ISP + web host train their Bayesian email filter).

Early December 2007: Set up hosting on Netfirms for a new site (family memorial). Started as an 8 page, 26 MB static HTML site, with 139 MB traffic over most of the first month. Chose Netfirms after brief research (not here: had not found this site at that time) and upon the recommendation of a trusted acquaintance who was having good service from them.

Signing on was no problem. Uploading the site was not a problem. The self-help web pages were sufficient for the few small setup glitches. We never did set up nor use Netfirms' email services. Site loading seemed fairly swift; better than our home ISP where my primary site is hosted.

Everything was great until i was setting up their one-click install of WordPress: kicked out after about 25 min. for CPU over-use. I was new to WP and had spent the prior few days reading and learning about it, and read no warnings about anything like this. Let me emphasize: this is *their* installation of WP 2.0.1 (far from the current version), 100% stock as they provide it. I was just going through the Admin panels making settings.

At first, i had no idea what was going on, other than being locked out and “click here if this is your domain”, which sends an email to support. Got back a pre-typed template response within an hour or so, blaming me, and telling me how to reduce my CPU usage… all things which did not apply as i had not added nor done any of the offending things! Replied, politely, explaining that i was only attempting to set up their stock one-click WP. Response?: None. Not in days. Not in weeks. (And not in any of my spam traps, as they were whitelisted and i looked in the traps.)

Days later, once i was ready to deal with this level of idiocy (my opinion) again, i repeated my query, politely, via the web ticket system. Got back, within a few hours, an email response of the nature of “oh yeah, others had that sort of issue too… it was us and we fixed it”. Good!: a seemingly honest answer and a resolution! But no… i was still getting kicked out of the WP admin. in about 25 min. of use… no improvement at my end.

Responded again to the Click Here on the “access denied for the next 2 hours” page. I included the Netfirms case numbers for the correspondence with them to date. Received the same template email i got the first time… the template jockey who received my polite email with the history either chose to ignore the history of the problem or was instructed to hurl the same irrelevant template at me to stonewall.

Now, many of you are experienced with WordPress and/or run web hosting companies. On my own, with no help from Netfirms, i found evidence that when there are a lot of Themes loaded in WP, WP seems to use a lot of CPU time. This is a theory… not even sure this was the problem. Some might say that i as the person setting up WP should know this and Don’t Do That. Fine… i accept responsibility for my actions. I studied WP before invoking it, saw nothing about this. I studied all relevant Netfirms documents i could find: nothing on this. I wrote polite, concise, detailed messages to Netfirms support to attempt to figure out the problem, and got nothing useful/meaningful/truthful (my opinion).

Netfirms alleges that it provides technical support, and others here report success with it; i had none: Zero. Zero useful/meaningful anyway, and what appeared was slow. Very much like dealing with an infant: the infant is crying and you know you need to take action. You try and figure out what is wrong, yet all the child can do is keep up with the crying until you guess correctly and resolve the issue. One thing for one's baby… Not Acceptable for a company being paid where part of the arrangement is technical support and "Waa Waa Your Problem" is the only response.

This all played out over the month of December, while my True Love’s family awaited the ability to post in the Guestbook (powered by WP) for this site for her recently deceased mother. Never happened with Netfirms…*had to wait for the next hosting company.

Near the end of the 30 day trial period, with no resolution in sight despite repeated efforts to work things out on my part, i spent well over a week shopping for a replacement host, learning a whole lot of invaluable information here on webhostingtalk.com (and bits more elsewhere). I need to point out that, unlike tech. support, Netfirms' billing department *is* ethical and responsive, and while it took a little while (don’t seek a refund too close to the 30 day deadline, as i did, if you want best refund results), Billing did what they said they would do, and we were refunded in full (our domain was already registered with GoDaddy, so no issues there).

As a point of comparison for technical support, i present the following. We went with NFSN (Nearly Free Speech.net) as the replacement web hosting company for this site: wholly different business model and price structure. Support is email-only (they may have some phone support for extra $… not sure on that), and you’re expected to know what you’re doing or go figure it out if you don’t.

With this warning, i set up a sandbox WordPress on my own Macintosh, and whacked away on that until i had the theme i wanted and everything all set up. Installed and set up the current WP on my NFSN space… no clunky older WP as with Netfirms. Had a small problem, which i could not resolve. Posted to the support board on NFSN (the preferred method for problem resolutions where privacy is not required). BAM!: within 5 minutes NFSN did what Netfirms could not do in over 2 weeks: answered my question. It was a terse “Your .htaccess file is missing or messed up”, yet it was fully sufficient as an answer in its context, and NFSN does not even promise this level of support, so it is more than promised! And straight from the people running the servers, not some low-wage template jockey needing to buy a clue.

(There appear to be several to many ethical hosting companies with equally good or better technical support, many of whom have personnel who post here. I have not used them so i cannot comment on them. Just wanted to mention that while i love NFSN, there are other good choices, and i present NFSN mostly as an example where i have direct, first-hand experience of something vastly superior to my Netfirms un-support.)

Given their lack of accountability, i cannot imagine hosting a critical site, such as a business site, with Netfirms… making their company name especially ironic. Cheers and Congratulations to those of you getting good service from Netfirms… i sure didn’t, won’t be back, and cannot recommend Netfirms to anyone.

))Sonic((

Hmmm interesting the diversity of opinions. Having over a hundred sites with them spread out over 3 Enterprise and 30+ Business Packages, it certainly is not the way I have been treated. That goes for now and 8 years ago when I was a $2.95/month customer. Nonetheless, it's good information to tuck away in the info vault for future. A very articulate and detailed post Sonic.
    bub...

Good post

yes that was a good post, however I fixed the problem myself, i took out alot of the PHP code and replaced it with HTML so when i have so many visitors it would not have to query the database all the time plus i enables super cache that way when people suddenly appeared on the site a cached page would show and this greatly incresed the performance and too the stress off the database with less queries.