Video conversion as a service, big time?

Nirvanix offers "Image manipulation such as image resizing, thumbnail generation, and rotating, video frame extraction, video conversion to Flash video". Is there any competitor? I guess building one on top of S3/EC2/SQS from Amazon would be a no brainer.

CPU intense applications require dedicated servers/service which is costly. I don't know of anyone in the "smaller segment" so I can't comment on that.
    -Mr Bister

Smaller segment? How would cloud/utility computing count as smaller segment? I am about to buy a rack of servers but even so I really would like to see someone else deal with the video conversion.

Most of those features can be done through ffmpeg (frame extraction, video conversion to Flash video) or ImageMagick (manipulation such as image resizing, thumbnail generation, and rotating).

So look for a host offering both, and you'll have a competitor.

I am not clear here. My problem is that likely one single server will not be enough at some time. Same can be said for any number servers. But I do not want them to sit around just to answer in the rare case of video upload bursts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito View Post
    Most of those features can be done through ffmpeg (frame extraction, video conversion to Flash video) or ImageMagick (manipulation such as image resizing, thumbnail generation, and rotating).

So look for a host offering both, and you'll have a competitor.

what if you have 50 people trying to upload at the same time. you'll need EC2. The only problem with Amazon is that they charge per request, almost doubling the price in the long run.