SMTP Server > ISP's Block

Hey,

As some of you might already know, many ISP's have been blocking outbound traffic via port 25 to try to lower the amount of spam sent from thier clients.

I am looking for a free smtp server for windows. (This is just for me to use, personal) I would rather run it on my windows server than my linux. I have tried over 7 free ones already including "Free SMTP Server" and after time they have all failed/not worked well/gave errors/and whatnot. Could anyone recommend me a simple smtp server I could run on my windows dedi that also has the function/option to change the incoming/outgoing port from 25 to another #?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Cya,
    Tommis

You can try to install and activate stunnel on your server and use other ports for incoming and outgoing mail.

Our ISP also blocks port 25 for outgoing mail, but when we use port 465 for outgoing mail, it works just fine
    www.InstantDedicated.com - Online in no time
    Dedicated Servers in [EU] Netherlands with DAILY support, also on weekends
    DDOS Protected network - 100% Money Back if it doesn't work for you
    Streaming / IPTV allowed | Up to 10 Gbit ports | 100% Network Uptime

MailEnable is a full blown mailserver (IMAP/POP/SMTP) which seems to be quite popular, I've only used it once but it was easy to set up and seemed pretty stable. Is that one of the ones that you have tried?

Alternatively, have you tried the one built in to Windows?

Hey,

Looked into stunnel, just a bit too complicated at the moment for this personal issue. (Still will look into it more when I get back). Regarding MAILENABLE, seems excellent from the reading I have done quickly about it. Still though, its a bit too much for what I am looking for. I will still be trying it out when I get back. Regarding teh one built into windows, never had that installed.

Thank you for your advice.

Cya,
    Tommis

Running a SMTP server from home is not a great idea, because (due to spam) many providers not only block port 25, but also block STMP servers on residential IPs from connecting to their mail servers (using Spamhaus.org's PBL for example). In fact my mail server is setup that way too. So even if you got your SMTP server working, you might find your mail being blocked simply because you're connecting from a dynamic IP.
    Last edited by GHDpro; 02-22-2008 at 10:15 AM.

Hey,

I dont want to host this smtp server from home I want to host it from my windows dedicated server located in Netherlands (Globalswitch). But on a different port so that I can connect to it through my isp.

Cya,
    Tommis

Quote Originally Posted by Tommis View Post
    Hey,

I dont want to host this smtp server from home I want to host it from my windows dedicated server located in Netherlands (Globalswitch). But on a different port so that I can connect to it through my isp.

Cya,
    Tommis
    MailEnable will be able to do that. You can add an alternative SMTP port for it to listen to.
    MXSCAN :: AntiSpam & AntiVirus Solution for MailEnable (now with MESSAGE SNIFFER Support!)
    Built-in SpamAssassin, ClamAV, DNSBL, URLBL, DCC Check, ShortCircuit, Regex/Keyword Filters, Disclamers, Archiving, Indexing and more.
    Visit www.mxuptime.com for info.

Our isp blocked port 25 so we setup exim to use port 50 and now its fine.
    Master Reseller Accounts
    Shared Hosting
    VPS hosting
    ToastHosts.com support{at}toasthosts.com

Just a quick note that MailEnable also offers a free product that is fairly robust. It is an older version version of the software (1.983) and we have had very few lockups / crashes. It is somewhat limited however depending on what you want to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesseredl View Post
    Just a quick note that MailEnable also offers a free product that is fairly robust. It is an older version version of the software (1.983) and we have had very few lockups / crashes. It is somewhat limited however depending on what you want to do with it.
    We also use MailEnable Standard version on one our spam Gateways and it works extremely well. It is has been very stable and more secure because it only has the core SMTP services running and nothing else. The version might be older, but there are patches released which you can apply that takes it up.
    MXSCAN :: AntiSpam & AntiVirus Solution for MailEnable (now with MESSAGE SNIFFER Support!)
    Built-in SpamAssassin, ClamAV, DNSBL, URLBL, DCC Check, ShortCircuit, Regex/Keyword Filters, Disclamers, Archiving, Indexing and more.
    Visit www.mxuptime.com for info.