Web Server Local Router Recommendation?

Hello, we are looking to setup new web servers in a colocation center. One server will be the main hosting server, then we will have a database server and a file server.

The main server will have an IP and be connected to the internet. - Then through another ethernet port, the main server will connect to a router, that will connect to the other two servers. They will have local addresses and be called to in the php code.

The question is - if there is going to be a lot of data going back and fourth between the two local servers and the web server, what type of router is needed?

For example what is the difference between the two routers below? - We just want a router that can handle lots of traffic and bandwidth and not get bogged down ever, while being the most cost affective.

cdw.com/shop/products/specs.aspx?EDC=705727&cm_sp=Product-_-Specs-_-Main+Tab

cdw.com/shop/products/specs.aspx?EDC=1107037&cm_sp=Product-_-Specs-_-Main+Tab

Hi

Why do you need a router (unless im missing something) ?

You say you have 3 servers ?

1 is the web Server connected to the internet, then the other two are not connected, but are connected to the webserver.

The solution I would use is a Switch and the webserver has two network cards, 1 for the internet and 1 other for the private LAN.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by RelicHOST View Post
    Hi

Why do you need a router (unless im missing something) ?

You say you have 3 servers ?

1 is the web Server connected to the internet, then the other two are not connected, but are connected to the webserver.

The solution I would use is a Switch and the webserver has two network cards, 1 for the internet and 1 other for the private LAN.

Hope that helps.

You're definitely right. - What recommendations might you have for a gigabit switch for lots of data transfer without congestion problems.

a good and reliable switch is HP ProCurve Switch 2824, the thing is that you dont need 24 ports. Anyway, its not a good idea to go with a consume switch, best is to invest in a good switch even if its more expensive

Yeah I have been reading that consumer switches are not as reliable in a server setup. I really only need a 4 port gigabit switch, that is high end and reliable with no slowdown or congestion. I will check out the 2824.

Looking at these too. Any thoughts?

cdw.com/shop/products/specs.aspx?EDC=1034444&cm_sp=Product-_-Specs-_-Main+Tab

cdw.com/shop/products/specs.aspx?EDC=858969&cm_sp=Product-_-S