View Poll Results: Are you offering your customers an early payment discount?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 11.11%
  • No

12 66.67%
  • Plan to in the future

0 0%
  • Undecided

4 22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Early Payment Discounts

I have considered offering my larger customers early payment discounts of 1-2 percent. Is anyone else doing this and how satisfied or unhappy with the results have you been?

Billing for larger customers is usually net 30 and smaller is net 3 .
    Last edited by cywkevin; 02-21-2008 at 02:39 PM.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Offering early payment discounts should be aimed at reducing the accounts that end up being uncollectible. So what we do is offer early payment discounts only to clients that have demonstrated problems with paying on time in the past. So far it has worked well for us and the number of unpaid hosting bills has dropped over the past several months.
    SHAW NETWORKS Simple. Professional. Reliable. Web Hosting Done Right.
    Low Cost & Award-Winning: cPanel Reseller Plans 24/7/365 Live Technical Support
    Website: www.shawnetworks.com Fast Response E-mail: sales @ shawnetworks.com
    Sick of downtime? Fed up with excuses? Drop your host! Switch to Shaw Networks.

We don't offer discounts for paying early/on-time. We've found that having late fees written into our T&C is more of an incentive to get people to pay on time.

In our market yearly payments are the standards and therefore we don't have any incentive to offer early payment discounts...
    HostGamma.com | HostGamma Europe | HostGamma Asia
    USA, Canada, Brazil, UK, Netherlands, HK, Taiwan, Korea, Japan, Singapore and more

I think that's a good idea. 1-2% is too little though. Make it 5.

Our customers pay in advance, on a yearly basis. Our terms are Net 30 with no discount for early payment. In reality, we only get paid within 30 days about half the time, as all our customers are large institutions with acres of bureaucracy. However, they always do pay, even if it takes a while.

I think an early payment discount will end up costing you money in the long run. 1 to 2% doesn't seem like much but when added up over several clients it can make a difference. On top of that I don't believe the discount will cause more clients to pay on time. If you have a client paying $20 dollars per month and they are provided with a 2% discount it saves them 4 cents. Thats not much of an incentive to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ozborn View Post
    I think an early payment discount will end up costing you money in the long run. 1 to 2% doesn't seem like much but when added up over several clients it can make a difference. On top of that I don't believe the discount will cause more clients to pay on time. If you have a client paying $20 dollars per month and they are provided with a 2% discount it saves them 4 cents. Thats not much of an incentive to me.
    Actually, it's 40 cents
    Cpanel/WHM PHP Perl Ruby Full Time Support
    LCWSoft - Canada web hosting (based in Newfoundland) since 2007
    Servers based in the US and Canada (Uptime Report)

Sorry math was never my major.

Still though, 40 cents isin't much of an incentive for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ozborn View Post
    I think an early payment discount will end up costing you money in the long run. 1 to 2% doesn't seem like much but when added up over several clients it can make a difference.
    Part of this difference can be made up by having use of that money earlier than planned. It could be put in short-term deposits and earning interest in the bank. Or it could be used in the operation of the business. If the company's ROIC is fairly high (i.e. above bank interest), then this might work out quite well. There are some industries (FMCG retail, for example, due to inventory turns), where cashflow management is the key to profitability.

A typical large customer puts down $500 so a 2% discount is around $10
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?