* MySQL DB size limits iHubnet, MediaLayer, Downtownhost, Steadfast

My old hosting company was currently bought from another after a series of events. The old owner was very nice, but I don't feel comfortable with the new company. I have no word on whats the monthly bills etc.. if there are any changes and stuff so I am looking for a new host.

I have a IPB forum with 17,500 users registerd , about 50 active at a time, peaks at 100 sometimes, and my db is around 50mb, more obviously in the near future.

Steadfast ( Great reviews I just need to know if they have a mysql db limit. )

DownTown Host ( Great reviews, spoken to Jedito before, again no idea on mysql db size limit. )

MediaLayer ( I love there speed I visited a forum hosted at the company and it was blazing fast, my only dislike is the lack of cpanel and only directadmin, again unsure mysql db size. )

IHubNet ( another with great reviews, unsure of mysql db size. )

Anyone know/recommend?

I will have 4 domains, 2 active the other 2 redirecting or parked w/e. 2 ipb forums one with only like 30 users registered small discussion, other large.
    Last edited by Lordbug; 02-21-2008 at 12:11 PM.

Stay away from IX webhosting, for sure.

SYN Hosting, Triple, Hostgator, Steadfast, Google
    The GOD forbid us to have any problems, but there is no such thing as true 100% uptime, reliable, and trustable hosting provider.

I dont think any in your list has db size limit. And the same with other host. What you might want to check is the concurrent connections. Is that what you want to know?

No DB size limit here.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Quote Originally Posted by gate2vn View Post
    I dont think any in your list has db size limit. And the same with other host. What you might want to check is the concurrent connections. Is that what you want to know?
    do you talk with me? if yes, so you're misunderstood. the list above is as alternative of webhost that does not have the DB size limit so that can be chosen by Lordbug .
    Last edited by stanch; 02-21-2008 at 12:50 PM.
    The GOD forbid us to have any problems, but there is no such thing as true 100% uptime, reliable, and trustable hosting provider.

stanch, sorry for misunderstanding, but that I wrote for Lordbug

Keeping in mind that larger databases can become an issues in a shared environment if the site uses too many resources. I have to move away from a shared reseller last year becasue I had a client that reached 500mb in one database and most shared hosts only allow 25 concurrent sessions. At least the ones I had looked at. Although I agree that concurrent sessions is what you should be worried about rather than database size.

thats true rrhodes, but if that client is running that big of a database, why not move them to their own vps?
    This account is no longer used.

Folks, if your company is part of the initial enquiry by OP and you're directly responding with the exact information being sought, this is acceptable. Otherwise, this thread is not an open invitation to discuss whether you place limits on databases yourself. Just a friendly reminder for future posts. Thanks!

Edit: if the explanation above does not make it clear why Karl Zimmer's post is allowed and yours was removed, contact the help desk and we will explain in more detail. Do not use this thread to sort out your grievances.

You may also refer to 040Hosting's post that follows this one for more information, and let that be the end of the matter in this thread. Back on topic!
    Last edited by the_pm; 02-21-2008 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by various others
    I don't know why my (relevant) post was removed, but KarlZimmer's blatant ad above was not... makes absolutely no sense.
    Thats easy to answer:
    You may only discuss details about your company and/or product offerings when the thread starter or poster has made direct reference to your company and stated something untrue or misleading, or something which clearly needs clarifying. The response must be in direct reference to the point discussed only and contain no added promotional information and/or fluff. It is advisable when in the above scenario to contact us first.

Steadfast was mentioned in the post of the OP. I do not know what exactly you wrote, but if you made a reference to your hosting without the OP asking to, you are not allowed to post it.
    Last edited by the_pm; 02-21-2008 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pbhosting View Post
    thats true rrhodes, but if that client is running that big of a database, why not move them to their own vps?

it was cheaper to move everyone to a VPS rather than having a shared reseller and a VPS account.

Lordbug, could you clarify which Steadfast you have in mind (Steadfast Networks, Steadfast Hosting, etc.) by either fully naming or posting a link to the company in question? There are more than one Steadfast [______] companies represented on WHT, and it would help if we pinpoint the one to which you are referring in your first post. Thank you!
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

Use medialayer. DA is better than cPanel in my opinion anyways.

Just to confirm; MediaLayer's DB size is limited to your total disk space of your account.

Medialayer has great speeds and support, looking at their reviews. No host will have everything you need, keep in mind. Speed is usually first priority in the eyes of your members. But in the eyes of you, the webmaster, it can not matter to you as much.
    RageTracks.com -- Discover the latest Electronic Dance Music

Quote Originally Posted by Lordbug View Post
    ( I love there speed I visited a forum hosted at the company and it was blazing fast, my only dislike is the lack of cpanel and only directadmin, again unsure mysql db size. )
    IMO, DirectAdmin is better than cPanel.
    hosted by HawkHost
    I Recommend: LimeStone Networks!
    The OverSeller Defender!

I see that nobody from downtownhost still have replied to this thread but i think that downtownhost do not put any limits on size of DB. WHy?
    Because i'm very happy downtownhost customer and i have one very large database 350MB+, other one 165MB+ and one small 80kb!
    Usually if they are some DB size limits then you will probably see it by chosen packet. Othewise DB size should be limited to your total disk space.

Quote Originally Posted by Orien View Post
    Just to confirm; MediaLayer's DB size is limited to your total disk space of your account.
    Downtownhost has the same limit: available disk space in account

I'll vote Steadfast, though I'm biased by the excellent level of service I've received by them in the past

I dont`t want to start new topic because I have the same problem.I`m starting new site (joomla cms)which will have 1500 page(avg page 80kb) with minimum 2000 pics(avg picture 30kb).I think that daily visit will be about 2000-3000 visitors.

I read great reviews on forum for Steadfast,MediaLayer,Downtownhost,imountain.

I see that some of them have MySQL DB limit and I dont know what db size is adequate for my site.

Please help me? Sorry on my bad english!

Quote Originally Posted by nikolapx View Post
    I dont`t want to start new topic because I have the same problem.I`m starting new site (joomla cms)which will have 1500 page(avg page 80kb) with minimum 2000 pics(avg picture 30kb).I think that daily visit will be about 2000-3000 visitors.

I read great reviews on forum for Steadfast,MediaLayer,Downtownhost,imountain.

I see that some of them have MySQL DB limit and I dont know what db size is adequate for my site.

Please help me? Sorry on my bad english!
    I believe that we've established that all of those listed companies have DB sizes limited to the maximum disk space of the account, which is standard practice.

thank you orien on quickly answer,but I saw on IMountain site that they have db quota.Can anybody tell me what size of db is adequate for my site and how much bandwith will be enough for me.

I`m starting new site (joomla cms)which will have 1500 page(avg page 80kb) with minimum 2000 pics(avg picture 30kb).I think that daily visit will be about 2000-3000 visitors.
    Can anybody tell me what size of db is adequate for my site and how much bandwith will be enough for me.
    1500 pages at 80kB each would be a total of about 120MB in the database. In reality I think your pages would most likely be much smaller than this - remember it's only the unique HTML content of each page that's stored and 80kB would be a lot of content.

2000 images at 30kB average is 60MB - these would be stored as files, not in the database.

For the transfer you also need to estimate the average number of pages and images each visitor will download. Say 5 pages and 20 images, based on your earlier figures, would be 5 x 80kB + 20 x 30kB = 1MB. So 3000 such visitors would use 3GB per day or 90GB per month.

But if you're just starting this site then that's probably a lot more visitors than you'll actually get - how fast do you think the traffic will build up? No more than 1 or 2GB per month transfer is typical for many sites, especially new ones.

HTH
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Its hard to say because your site isn't established yet. Start minimal and work your way up.

thank you guys you are 100% right,I will start with minimal plan and easy buy bigger plan when my site start to grow.I have 3 more question for you

1 what do you think what is better shared or Cluster hosting
    2 how many visitor can be online in same time if I buy basic plan
    3 How much kb have average page

thank you guys

Quote Originally Posted by the_pm View Post
    Lordbug, could you clarify which Steadfast you have in mind (Steadfast Networks, Steadfast Hosting, etc.) by either fully naming or posting a link to the company in question? There are more than one Steadfast [______] companies represented on WHT, and it would help if we pinpoint the one to which you are referring in your first post. Thank you!
    http://steadfast.net/ <--