hosting hosting hosting

hey i was hoping someone could tell me some GOOD hosting companies that support PHP, SQL, ASP, Guestbooks, Hit Counters, Statistics, etc. at under about 10.00 a month. I recently hosted a site and i thought they were good and when i went to install phpbb3, welp, they don't support it. whew what a dissapointment that was! well what i am looking for is simply a bad *** hosting service at a good price. thanks

etseal,

There are many good hosting providers, and most will support phpbb3, why your old host doesn't beats me, but any cPanel host with fantastico will help you install PHPbb3 in just a minute time.

try the offer section here at WHT and you may find a good reliable hosting company.

If your budget is right, is a bit harder to tell as you do not let us know how much diskspace and bandwidth you think to use.

If you let us know the last part i am sure you will get some more recommendations.

p/s fantastico added phpbb3 today in their latest release.
    Last edited by 040Hosting; 02-21-2008 at 12:01 PM. Reason: note on fantastico
    » cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    »
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

I think the problem may be in your side. Why did you ask them to did they support phpbb3. Every one take care about their need when they seek for a new host. What are their prouct, which are the packages they will support, do they support fantastico, ssh shell access etc.
    Are you in shared hosting?. If you belonging in shared package you cant use the maximum facilities of fantastico and also shell access.
    Can you say who is your current service provider?. What is you disk space?. Bandwidth?.
    Almost all reputed hosting companies have been providing PHP, SQL, ASP, Guestbooks, Hit Counters,etc.

don't mean to be "" but what is SHARED hosting?

oh my current provider is websitespot .com

Quote Originally Posted by etseal View Post
    hey i was hoping someone could tell me some GOOD hosting companies that support PHP, SQL, ASP, Guestbooks, Hit Counters, Statistics, etc. at under about 10.00 a month. I recently hosted a site and i thought they were good and when i went to install phpbb3, welp, they don't support it. whew what a dissapointment that was! well what i am looking for is simply a bad *** hosting service at a good price. thanks
    i prefer SYN Hosting, the Basic package is $9.95/month, you will get what you pay for .
    The GOD forbid us to have any problems, but there is no such thing as true 100% uptime, reliable, and trustable hosting provider.

Quote Originally Posted by etseal View Post
    oh my current provider is websitespot .com
    If I were to make a guess, I'd say they're a Godaddy reseller.

phpbb3 is not on their list of one click install applications, but you can still install it manually. Just go to the developer's site and download the software, it's free.

There is one quirkiness in phpbb3 that requires most people to modify their PHP values. So you will probably need a host that allows modifcation of php through php.ini or .htaccess.

At the same time, you're looking for ASP too? That would require a Windows hosting company.
    :•: iMountain.com Solar Powered Hosting - Same location for 20 years
    :•: Clustered, HSphere, Webhosting, VPS, Dedicated and Luxury clusters
    :•: Specializing in Database clustering and optimization for vBulletin, Joomla and Wordpress sites.

Quote Originally Posted by imountain View Post
    There is one quirkiness in phpbb3 that requires most people to modify their PHP values. So you will probably need a host that allows modifcation of php through php.ini or .htaccess.

At the same time, you're looking for ASP too? That would require a Windows hosting company.

explain this better.

i have installed phpbb3 on several servers, and ive NEVER had to modify he php values. a little more information about this would be helpful.

thanks
    James
    *edit: after reading your post again, i also noticed.. i never had to edit my htaccess file to allow for phpbb3. i have edited the htaccess file before to block bad ip's or whole countries (long story on that one), but as far as changing things in htaccess for phpbb 3, nope, never have.*
    This account is no longer used.

ASP indeed, did miss that one. Ignore my post as cPanel in combination with Fantastico is running on a Linux platform not windows.

To the OP ; Where exactly do you need the ASP for ?

Didnt see anythign in PHPBB3 which needed an adjustment in php.ini or .htaccess as of yet, but i can imagine there are addon modules which may need this, standard out of the box it did work on several installations.

Quote Originally Posted by pbhosting View Post
    explain this better.

i have installed phpbb3 on several servers, and ive NEVER had to modify he php values. a little more information about this would be helpful.

thanks
    James
    *edit: after reading your post again, i also noticed.. i never had to edit my htaccess file to allow for phpbb3. i have edited the htaccess file before to block bad ip's or whole countries (long story on that one), but as far as changing things in htaccess for phpbb 3, nope, never have.*
    Hi James,

phpbb3 requires mbstring to be set to pass or else it won't let you install. This value can only be edited in php.ini or .htaccess.
    :•: Specializing in Database clustering and optimization for vBulletin, Joomla and Wordpress sites.

Quote Originally Posted by imountain View Post
    Hi James,

phpbb3 requires mbstring to be set to pass or else it won't let you install. This value can only be edited in php.ini or .htaccess.

then i must have missed it, or its set default as pass. either way, ive never had to modify anything. i know several of the guys at phpbb, ill go chat with them and see what they say about this. i think its probably an issue with your server.

James

Quote Originally Posted by pbhosting View Post
    then i must have missed it, or its set default as pass. either way, ive never had to modify anything. i know several of the guys at phpbb, ill go chat with them and see what they say about this. i think its probably an issue with your server.

James
    Hi James

It's not a local issue with just our servers, it's a fairly common issue.
    http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewt...9655&p=4334835

I'd love to get some input from the phpbb guys, please let us know, thanks.

message sent to one of the developers for clarifications for everyone on the thread, including the OP

Quote Originally Posted by stanch View Post
    i prefer SYN Hosting, the Basic package is $9.95/month, you will get what you pay for .
    What domain do you have hosted with them?
    If you don’t like the road you’re walking on, start paving a new one.

Your current host is a Godaddy reseller as mentioned earlier. The support number gives them away.

I'd say any good webhost that supports cPanel and Fantastico would be able to meet your needs. Don't go for the cheapest (you get what you pay for) and check out the hosting offers for more information on hosts.
    Toydrum Hosting - Superior Technology. Personal Service.
    - Linux Hosting - Supports cPanel, Ruby on Rails, and Fantastico
    - Exchange E-mail - BES available!
    Also specializing in Web Design and Development

To those having issues with phpbb installing, what exactly is it not letting you do? one of the developers is asking for more information, i know that someone posted:

"phpbb3 requires mbstring to be set to pass or else it won't let you install. This value can only be edited in php.ini or .htaccess."

but can you expand on that comment? what exactly is it that is changed, for what hosts?