Monitoring tools like HPSIM, OpenManage and Zabbix

Hi.

At the NOC I work at we use HP SIM. It's hosted on a central management server (CMS) and monitors the few hundred HP servers that we have in our DC. We also use MOM 2005 and TEC.

Question is, how would HP SIM work for my own single server setup, just to monitor for hardware issues, disk failures and such? Do I need to hook into a CMS server or can it be run standalone?

I guess same question applies to Dell OpenManage. Curious how these work if I just have the one server to keep an eye on?

Also I had a company install Zabbix agent on my server. They were monitoring my server from their "host" server. This company decided to disappear so now I have Zabbix agent installed, but no host server to login to to collect the data. Any idea if this can be run on a single server setup, or should I look for another "host" to monitor my server via Zabbix?

Thanks.

You can run server monitoring standalone by just installing the agent and manager on the same machine, but it's a bad idea because if the machine goes down than it can't notify you because it's down.

Find some other box to install the manager on, or get your employer to give you access to their manager interface.

--Erek
    System administration, application development, and project management.
    http://erek.blumenthals.com/blog/

I might just run with Zabbix then, I was just curious if anyone who offers colocation already has HPSIM or OpenManage setup. Guess not?

Take a look at Nagios. It can manage any SNMP device, and you could run SNMP agents on your server(s). That's how we do it.

-Chris