View Poll Results: Would You Attend LONG TERM?

Voters
137. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

81 59.12%
  • No (If not please explain)

56 40.88%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WebHostingTalk OFFICIAL IRC Network

Ok, Here goes nothing, Since noticing a post previously about starting a channel/network for WebHostingTalk I am going to do a survey first to see who is up for it.

If we get enough of a response then I will put the request up to RackShack to open irc.webhostingtalk.com

I feel it may go down well in the short term, but that in the long term it would die a death (as most other ventures have)

So, please only vote YES if you feel you would be willing to use the service for the long term.

Any other comments, should also be posted here, they will all be discussed by all moderators and by RackShack if the idea proves to be worth while.

-XT
    www.24y.co.uk - Fast Professional UK Web Hosting

I don't use IRC in any way. If I did however... I would be interested in it long term.
    "Stop flame-wars - Report a post"
    The original Kitty Lizard

Logically, since we have 3 NO answers, we should also have 3 replies here, hmmm

Thanks for your comments reptilian-fe

And Thanks for everyone who has voted thus far, its appreciated

Or just use www.webhostingirc.com. It's already set up and got some people chatting (in #whirc)...

I idled there for 3 weeks and nobody said a single word

IRC is a bit of a timesuck. If I had more spare time I'd probably drop in, but even this place kills more time then I should be using.

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

it would probably kill the idea of this forum
    id rather post here than chat on irc

besides, i doubt wht would want a network of irc servers
    maybe just a irc server

I don't think it would be a good idea. It will start to take away from the forums. Instead of people posting they will type it in the chat, that cause alot of people to miss it. Sorry but I am against it.

well i do love ircing, but beside you can't watch thousand different clients all the time )
    and as i'm on IRCnet, i would just have a detached client idling there so i'd just have a look in there from time to time.
    In just two days, tomorrow will be yesterday.

I like to think of it as an add-on for WHT forums. I've only been a member for less than a month and already I've had offers to take things "off-line" to talk to someone. IRC would be a great place to talk real-time to help someone or just have realtime conversation. I don't think it would detract from the WHT forums.
    When you say "I wrote a program that crashed Windows", people just stare at
    you blankly and say "Hey, I got those with the system, *for free*".
    -- Linus Torvalds

It would be cool... people can pick on each other in realtime..

Originally posted by BiGWill
    well i do love ircing, but beside you can't watch thousand different clients all the time )
    and as i'm on IRCnet, i would just have a detached client idling there so i'd just have a look in there from time to time.
    in mirc type /server -m irc.ircservername.com

I was an IRC addict for many years. Operated a few channels of my own and hung out in quite a few others. Loved it when I had time for it. Now we do run our own private IRC network, for work, which is a great way to remain in constant communication and we have a lot of 'info bots' running in there that alert us in the channel of any server problems, forum posts, new orders etc...it's great! However, I find that I do not attend other IRC networks/channel anymore due to the time they consume and the disruptions they cause.

Not responding to a message sent to you can cause some hostility and feelings of being ignored... when in reality it's just that the receiver is really busy. A lot of good communication is also lost. Unlike in the forums where it's there for later retrieval and response when the time is right...with IRC everything is in realtime and if you missed it... you missed it.

For those with time it may be great but it could also cause more grievances than necessary... even something as silly as lag can cause arguments due to people not realizing a late comment was meant for an earlier statement. I also like the ability to close the WHT browser window and re-open it when I am ready to read. With IRC it would be yet another window having to be left open on my desk top that is already cluttered with too many windows. Last but not least, since I do work in IRC all day anyway with a lot of 'private conversation' I would just be beside myself if the right text went into the wrong IRC window
    FutureQuest.net
    Quality Services & Professional Support Since 1998
    Click Here To Visit the Community

Well, I have not been in to irc for a while, but I am for it.

As for the response that it would kill a forum like this, I dissagree. I run a forum that is very busy. we recently added a php chat (yeah, I know it is not the same thing!). Traffic did not drop off, but some off topic banter was a bit more prolific. That was the intent. Folks felt more comfortable, and participation is good. Folks that want additional input still post to the forums. It was a welcome addition, and has encouraged the lurkers to participate.

Anyhow, I am all for it.
    Don't you walk thru my words
    You got to show some respect
    Don't you walk thru my words
    'Cause you ain't heard me out yet

I would not go probably at all, as I do not care for live, one-on-one chat.

I enjoy the forum format and agree with James, Greg and Secludo.

We tried making a channel for the girls on my parenting board - lasted about a week before everyone disappeared. I had been using phpMyChat and it was really slow, so we set up a channel on DALnet and a lot of people downloaded mIRC and came at first, but I go in there every now and then and no one is ever on.

Really, I think that even if people came at first, it probably wouldn't last very long.

people don't care enough to keep it going
    lol
    besides
    many people get on here from work and all kinds of other things

YES
    Kevin L. - WiseOnline Solutions
    Under New Management
    AIM: WiseSupportKev

Originally posted by xtstrike
    I idled there for 3 weeks and nobody said a single word
    That funny xtstrike because I am sometimes there to meet my pals and there were definitely more than a single word during my stay there... Let me see ... perharps over 3 weeks, there were thousands of words exchanged. Actually, we know you came by but never spoke anything even when somebody tried to talk to you ... Perharps you idled too much. And 3 weeks? I did not recall seeing you all the time for 3 weeks.

Anyway ....
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)

Originally posted by FHDave

That funny xtstrike because I am sometimes there to meet my pals and there were definitely more than a single word during my stay there... Let me see ... perharps over 3 weeks, there were thousands of words exchanged. Actually, we know you came by but never spoke anything even when somebody tried to talk to you ... Perharps you idled too much. And 3 weeks? I did not recall seeing you all the time for 3 weeks.

Anyway ....
    Dido, I thought he was a bot.

Originally posted by Haze

Dido, I thought he was a bot.

he idled in my support channel for atleast a week.

No (If not please explain)
    Don't IRC.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

no, I would not use it if for no other reason sleep!
    http://www.ChicagoJobResource.com
    Chicago Job Resource
    YOUR career connection for Chicago jobs, careers and employment

Originally posted by secludo
    We tried making a channel for the girls on my parenting board - lasted about a week before everyone disappeared. I had been using phpMyChat and it was really slow, so we set up a channel on DALnet and a lot of people downloaded mIRC and came at first, but I go in there every now and then and no one is ever on.

Really, I think that even if people came at first, it probably wouldn't last very long.
    Hosthideout was originally phpMyChat, was overloaded, killing the server, I switched it to a java based chat and if I killed the site, someone might notice a few weeks from now. Maybe. Sounds like we've been down the same road, though I never switched it to IRC, I think you need a plethora of users to make chat work. Yahoo type plethora, AOL type plethora, but that's just one chicken's opinion.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

Chicken

no archieve

I definately would. I'm on IRC a lot anyway, chatting with some of the WHT people wouldn't hurt. I know there is webhostingirc, but having an official WHT network would probably make a difference.
    I think a lot of the WHT members don't know about whirc..

bobcares is offline [email protected]
    Hi!
    I'd say no. Forums are a great place to be in. Chat is something where we just talk and forget about it. Forums on the other hand is a place where we can read old posts and get the emotions back. It is fun....

Also, not be truly realtime you get more sensible responses than just "" or "Hey there" ....

Have a great day

regards
    amar
    A student once asked his teacher, "Master, what is enlightenment?"
    The master replied, "When hungry, eat. When tired, sleep. When you need care, come to bobcares...."

What about if there was some kind of a bot archiving what was said, and putting it into some kind of searchable database.. then it would not be forgotten? I think the chat is an excellent idea for meeting up and getting to know fellow hosters, but we could make it a rule to send people to the forums for support, etc.

that's why forums work so well and chat's die a nasty death. In a world where people are working 80+ hours a week, real time is a pain in the can. If you can have all your conversations sitting there for when you have a spare few minutes, then life is good.

Seems we delegate our time so much these days that even conversing has a time and a place.

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Just buy Jirc, i think WHT owner can affored it and you will get people going to it. Dropping by.
    - Andy
    Free browser based game:
    http://www.critticage.com
    Play in your spare time!

I agree, we dont need a network, just a room.... put jirc on the sites so people who "dont IRC" can still join us as if they were using AOL chat etc..

The room we have made unofficially has around 7 users in it most the time and is on efnet #webhosts.

Basically.. if you run a hosting chat site or whatever.. why not install an IRC java applet and come join everyone else ?
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

Webhostingirc already have a java irc client available so thats already taken care of.

IRC would take away action from this forum. So that's makes bad business sense, IMO.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

I didn't vote, but I say no IRC. I wouldn't use it, and doubt many would.

Im on Quakenet alot and Im a server co-admin on another network .... I don't htink I would bother conencting to a third network.
    Jim

What's the point?

The current format
    • works well
    • doesn't require constant attention to keep abreast of what is going on.
    • allows persons from all over the world to discuss issues together
    • can be searched.
    • lets people get work done and not loose the flow of a discussion
    I don't want to ask about something and get a response saying "well it was discussed in IRC already." An IRC addition to this forum would be a waste of time IMHO.
    One of Them - [email protected]
    Toll Free US and Canada: 1-866-323-THEY x223
    International/Local: 1-416-323-THEY x223
    Fax: 1-416-323-9978

I'm for it. In light of recent downtime with my provider, it would have been nice to go into a channel on irc and be able to ask others if they are experienceing any problems.

It would also be a great way to help people out... the only problem would be getting people to go there and stay there.

Perhaps it would make more sense to start up a channel on dalnet or efnet (preferably DALnet), where people already ARE, if they are on irc.

If this was the case, I would definatly idle there

Edit....

ALSO hopefully staff and CEOs from hosting companies will be able to chat there as well and interact with customers.

I can see problems with this already though... trying to enforce the same rules structure.. keeping people from advertising.. yadda yadda. but it would be way more simpler if a channel was created on an existing network.

YES YES AND YES!!

Only if it has a serious discussion room and a LOUNGE room!

What's the point of WHT chat without the lounge?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast