Question What's wrong with my ping/packets lost?

Hi guys,
    I'm new to the board and hoping to find some wisdom here.
    I'm getting slow server response times I've been struggling with this for quite some while. Any help would be appreciated. Here is what I know so far:

1. My website divinelightingdotcom through justping returns average 60-80% packets lost for all locations but Santa Clara, which usually has 0-20% loss.
    2. My VPS is in Dallas
    3. My ISP is also in Dallas, yet justping their website returns 0 packets lost
    4a. When I ping my site from Atlanta, the avg trip is 44 ms
    4b. However, the first access of my website through a browser usually takes about 5-10 seconds to respond
    4c. I assume that my customers have this same experience (if so, this is killing me on my sponsored search advertising)
    5. subsequent navigation through the website is usually acceptably fast.
    6. wait an hour or so, and the initial page load has 5-10 second response delay again (can be any page on the site)
    7. perhaps related, WinMTR from my location in Atlanta shows an comcast IP in virginia that consistently has 20% loss. I have opened a trouble ticket with Comcast.

Thanks in advance for any advice or ideas,
    Dustin

Well package loss can cause your slowdowns. And can be located anywhere in the network between you and your hosting provider.

I just did try a ping from New Jersey (40ms) and do not have any package lost towards the domain you gave.

And from Eindhoven (The Netherlands) also no package loss (145+ms)

Also the site seems to load pretty okay from here. However my experience is that VPS servers more often have this strange 5-10 seconds response time when the IO is high at the server. (i.e. during backups).
    cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

040hosting,
    Thank you for the information. It is certainly possible that there are others on the same server who are high bandwidth users. I had thought I would escape that problem in moving from shared to VPS.

Another thing I didn't mention is that about 1-5% of the time when using a browser or ftp there is no obvious response from the server. It doesn't timeout, it just keeps "working". What could cause that?

devine_lighting,

Moving from shared to vps is not always the right upgrade path, a VPS is also a shared environment with as extras that you are free in the software you install on your virtual host. But it stays shared, and could possibly having MORE hosts on it as on your shared environment. (in general the hardware used might be bigger, but is certainly not always the case).

I would recommend someone who did outgrow shared-hosting but is in need of a managed solution and does not need special tweaks to look at either semi-dedicated servers (shared-host but only shared with a few others) or to a managed dedicated (you could start small, and prices of a large VPS come close to a low-end dedicated server which has probably a lot more diskspace (might have less cpu resources depending on configuration).

I understand you already made your move, in that case try to do some tweaking (or ask the VPS provider) to do this for you, it might give you some extra months time to find a better solution.

Hope this information helps you.

Good luck with solving your issue!
    cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)