Nameservers questions (about what you would like to use)

Hello,

How many nameservers would you like to use? In how many different networks?

Did/do you think about paying someone else to provide you with nameservers in different networks? Or even pay someone else for all nameservers?

If you did/do think about paying someone else to provide 1 or more nameservers for you: What do you want to pay max. for 100 domainnames and what do you want to pay after that per 100 domainnames?

Mod: If this is the wrong location for this topic please move it.

If I understand correctly, many companies already offer this.

www.dnsmadeeasy.com for one.

Quote Originally Posted by layer0 View Post
    If I understand correctly, many companies already offer this.

www.dnsmadeeasy.com for one.
    I know there are companies offering a service like it, but I just want to know how many nameservers do you think is usefull/perfect/functional to have.

As many name server to give you 100% uptime.

It actually depends on where you have the nameservers. 2 Nameservers geographically dispersed are better than 10 nameservers pointed to the same physical server with different IPs.

I would recommend 4 locations. East Coast US, West Coast US, Europe (Germany or Netherlands) and Asia (Singapore, Hong Kong or Tokyo).

But if you really wanna go all out, get 2 more, one from Australia and the other one from around India or Middle East.

Services like DNSMadeEasy are nice, but I am not sure if they are cost effective for all of your clients, it can get very expensive.

If you just put some thought into it, you can do this by yourself without using any 3rd party services and allow more flexibility for yourself.
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com

Two name server *records* can be any number of physical servers.

They might be behind hardware load balancers, they might be part of an anycast configuration.

Of all the common internet services, dns and smtp are the most resilient in their native specification because of the possibility of specifying more than one address for the service.

One consideration with regard to the number of servers listed for a zone is the 512 byte absolute size limit. Unless the server employs EDNS0. EDNS0 has certain compatibility problems out in the field.

In line with the number of servers, is the length of the name. Any dns answer also echos the original query in the same packet, so that takes up room too.

Yes, there is always tcp fallback. Out of scope in my comments.
    edgedirector.com
    managed dns global failover and load balance (gslb)
    exactstate.com
    uptime report for webhostingtalk.com