Cheap dedicated game server

I am looking for a dedicated server to host a game server for Garry's Mod, (which can be VERY cpu intensive) I am having trouble, because my budget is limited to about $75 a month. Colocation is an option, but only if it is cheap (I have someone who will provide a server)

So far I have really considered:
    http://biggameserver.com/index-1.shtml and their Core 2 Duo plan,
    http://www.cari.net/core-2-duo-dedicated-server.html and THEIR Core 2 Duo plan.

I have had experience using a biggameserver core 2 duo, with 1Gb extra ram, and extra bandwidth. It came out to $90 a month, but the people running it couldn't afford it for long, so it disappeared. It managed to support 4 servers, 3 of them usually pretty full.

They look like the best deal so far.

Both comparable.

Is there any way for hosts to somehow pull a dreamhost and overload their dedis, and screw you over for something?
    Answered:
    Not really. They can oversell bandwidth, but not the systems themselves.

If anyone knows, what are the minimum specs needed to run three garrysmod servers? Two? How about two and a css server?

What kind of bandwidth usage?

I got 20K/second from somewhere, so I'm basing it on that, wit room to spare.
    Since this will be a garrysmod server, lets make that 25 Kilobytes a second (or kilobits?) * 8 players * 60 seconds * 60 minutes * 24 hours * 30 days = 518 Gigabytes a month. If it is Kilobits, would it be 64 Gigabytes? (518/8)
    How correct is this? After assuming that it will be commonly empty, we can drop this to 200Gb or so, for now. Once I get players, hopefully some will donate, so I can afford a bigger plan.
    I don't think bandwidth will be much of a problem.

The people I ask about hosting garrysmod servers all pay $250 or so a month, and I just can't afford that.

Anyone know of a company and plan that will fit these requirements?

if biggameserver had already tried and failed to run a server on your budget id cross em off your list
    as for second company they are already over your $75 budget and they got some very expensive bandwidth

i really cant think of any company that would do a gaming server of your requirements for only $75 a month. if you have your heart set on having a gaming server id recommend doubling your budget to get a starting server. you can do it cheaper than 250 a month though if its only going to be small to start with
    BX

Biggamesserver failed at $90 a month, for someone else, because they relied on donations.
    If I didn't purchase extra ram and bandwidth, I could afford it from a job, so donations would not be needed. I can go up to $80 a month, so the cari.net core 2 duo is in my budget.

Anyone have experience with these hosts?

What do you mean by "VERY CPU intensive"? Also, most importantly, what location are you looking for. Co-location may not be a bad idea if you have a server already.

I do not currently have a server, but if colocation is cheap enough ($50 a month) I could get a server.

I live in So Cal, but a server in texas wouldn't be a problem. Nothing east coast would work out.

By VERY cpu intensive I mean that is is a physics and code heavy mod of half life 2, and that 3 servers full of 1000 physically active objects slow down everything. So a celeron server wouldn't work out well.

Well Fast & Cheap isn't the best combination. I think you will have to either host less servers, smaller servers or ask (monthly subscribed) donations to increase your budget.

Yeah with 75$ you will get really what you don't want to get
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

i cant immagine colocation being within your budget either. you'd be best off pricing up there server you would buy, divide the price by 12 then add that to your budget. colocation tends to be only worth it if you have a very specific rig needed
    BX

Well, isnt it just possible for you to get a self-managed dedicated server, and then install something like http://www.gamecreate.com/index.php to host Garry's Mod on?

$75 should be enough to get a server good enough to run that game on, assuming it is remotely comparable to CS: Source.

I dont have any actual experience with hosting that particular game, so I may be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan - Limestone View Post
    Well, isnt it just possible for you to get a self-managed dedicated server, and then install something like http://www.gamecreate.com/index.php to host Garry's Mod on?

$75 should be enough to get a server good enough to run that game on, assuming it is remotely comparable to CS: Source.

I dont have any actual experience with hosting that particular game, so I may be wrong.
    It is very similar to CS (Same engine). Just multiply the player count by 4 or so to get a comparable server load.

I have no qualms about running game servers, I am in fact coding my own php+sql+lua management stuff. I will make sure it is as secure as I can get it though.

Self managed servers are no problem for me, I can find a free control panel, such as webmin (if I end up with a linux box), or this thing you are showing me.

Since you guys haven't really suggested anything, my current choice is biggameserver, as they seem to have the best deal so far. I am also looking at one someone Pm'ed me.

I am VERY aware that $75 a month will not buy me anything great, but I am currently still in school, and playing a sport, so I am working the most hours physically possible for me. (3 a week) There just isn't more time. Once some regular donators come in I might be able to afford more.

Quote Originally Posted by Battle Bott View Post
    Since you guys haven't really suggested anything, my current choice is biggameserver, as they seem to have the best deal so far. I am also looking at one someone Pm'ed me.
    • If you SPAM our members in any manner, your account will be disabled. Do not contact anyone to suggest your product or service who is not explicitly expecting you to contact them from an advertising forum post. If you glean information from anywhere other than the advertising forums and use that information to contact someone and present an offer, it's SPAM and it will affect your WHT account standing.
    I think you shouldn't go with a rulebreaking host imo.

I'd say Geekrack. The servers are powerful and very cheap and from what I hear they are great. They come standard so aside from OS the installation is up to you but you can definately find a server suitable for gaming from them.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by CaroNet-Rob View Post
    I think you shouldn't go with a rulebreaking host imo.
    Ok then, fine by me.

After everything I've seen nobody is offering a core 2 duo under $80, except for cari and biggame, and the only difference between them is hard drive size and bandwidth, and since I know that I will probably not break 80, I will go with the bandwidth. Any large files can go onto my severely oversold shared hosting account.

Thanks for all of the help!

Does anyone have a guide on how to PROPERLY set up a game server, with correct firewalls, security, apache etc? It will probably be windows 2003.
    Last edited by Battle Bott; 02-20-2008 at 11:10 PM.

I could do it for you if you want (free ofcourse) or help you with setting it up .

MISDIVISION has colocation (1U-4U) for $79/mo, they are sticked in the Colo offers section.

1-4U
    10Mbit of Unmetered Bandwidth on a 100Mbit port
    8 IPs
    $79

This is just $4 over though I'm sure it will be fine.

Click http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=670707 for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by JelloX View Post
    MISDIVISION has colocation (1U-4U) for $79/mo, they are sticked in the Colo offers section.

1-4U
    10Mbit of Unmetered Bandwidth on a 100Mbit port
    8 IPs
    $79

This is just $4 over though I'm sure it will be fine.

Click http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=670707 for more info.
    I'm not sure that paying MORE for colocation is worth it, because I'd have to pay for hardware replacement etc. I don't think I'd reach the 2000Gb max very quickly, so unmetered wouldn't help very much.

Possibly in the future.

And about server setup, I'm thinking about just using universal server, they say it is configured for production use, so I'd probably make less mistakes than configuring it myself.

Things like php triad seem so overblown in comparison.

Rob, I may contact you when I actually purchase this, for now I am making sure that everything will work out money-wise.

Oh, I didn't realize it was only 2TB of transfer allowed, not unmetered. My mistake.

The plan you are showing IS unmetered, but I think that I would not ever reach the limit, and that the (possible) savings in bandwidth would be offset by hardware costs.
    Overall, unless it gets substantially cheaper than leasing a dedicated server, colocation is a bit out of my cost range.

Since you are only looking at one game why not go with a company that rents out game servers. You can find very good ones for $1.49 - $2.49 per slot. I would assume (I could be wrong) that any host dealing with Source servers can also host Gary's Mod.

Have you considered instead of running a dedicated server looking for a game server company to host your server?

Quote Originally Posted by rrhodes View Post
    Since you are only looking at one game why not go with a company that rents out game servers. You can find very good ones for $1.49 - $2.49 per slot. I would assume (I could be wrong) that any host dealing with Source servers can also host Gary's Mod.
    I have thought about it, but it does not offer the level of speed, nor configuration that I want. I need enough power for 2 Garry's Mods, 1 Counter Strike: Source, a WAMP/LAMP server+python modules, and a game monitor for each. I don't know many services other than dedicated servers that offer that level of availability.

I am planning on going with biggameserver, they seem to offer the best deal with the lowest price.

gameservers and leet servers have been used by many people I know, great packages as well pre-custom.
    RackRhino Server Locations: MO, MI, NY, FL, UK
    Shared, Dedicated, Managed & Reseller.