Why a regular shared host account when you can get a vps at same price?

Why do people want a regular shared hosting account for around 10-$15 when they can get a vps for the same price? I was checking out vpslinkdotcom and was just wondering.

Because VPS hosting at $10-15 usually performs far worse than shared hosting at the same price.

Quote Originally Posted by Orien View Post
    Because VPS hosting at $10-15 usually performs far worse than shared hosting at the same price.
    Right. And at that price they are unmanaged so you add to your worries
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

VPS requires one to have knowledge about managing the VPS while a shared hosting account at that price would inevitable be managed.

Besides if you understand how resources works, you will appreciate the shared hosting more. A VPS offers a slice of RAM and CPU so you are technically get what is offered to you which may be tiny and nothing more. While in a shared hosting account, there is no such slice since your site is part of the entire server and if the server is lightly utilized, your site can scale to take advantage of the entire resource of the server.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

Usually cheap VPS servers have a very minimal amount of RAM which effects the performance of the system greatly.

Why do people want a regular shared hosting account for around 10-$15 when they can get a vps for the same price? I was checking out vpslinkdotcom and was just wondering.
    As rule such VPS (I mean at the same price) have the same CPU and RAM limitations on shared accounts. Diiference: control panels.
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
    >>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.

VPS plans are generally aimed at technically sophisticated customers. As such they typically have more resources (in terms of memory and CPU share) than shared hosting plans.

A shared hosting server box might have 100's of customers on it, a VPS box more likely 12-30 VPS plans.

The difference of course is that each VPS needs individually managed which in general the customer takes responsibility for.
    Andrew Ogilvie | Xtraordinary Hosting | AS30827 | Member of LINX
    Dedicated Servers in Central London | Xen VPS Linux & Windows | Complex Hosting | London BGP4 Bandwidth

Thats quite an interesting question actually.

I have the smallest plan from CheapVPS running LxAdmin HIB for my small family site and for email. Even with 128MB Ram the performance is great for what I need. The most important benefit for me is that I know the server is secure(I set it up), and I am able to fix issues instantly when problems occur.

It really depends on the kind of sites you are going to be running. If you use something like LxAdmin or a low memory usage setup with Lighttpd or Lightspeed webserver etc, then it's ideal for small sites on a small VPS. However performance will become an issue for more active and heavy scripts such as bulletin boards.

Advantages of Shared: High performance when non-oversold, no worry about technical issues or security.

Disadvantages of Shared: CPU/Memory shared with everyone else. Security can be an issue if a script on a particular user's account is compromised and they are able to gain root access

Advantages of VPS: Dedicated resources for you only, better performance than a busy server. More secure than a shared hosting environment.

Disadvantages of VPS: Performance will be less than a good quality shared host, unless you pay for additional Ram and CPU allocation if its limited - more often than not its Equal Share on VPS. You will be responsible for maintaining your server, unless you get a managed one of course.

Chris

Typically you're allowed much more diskspace on shared hosting plans (oversold however) than the lower end VPS.

My site, which is a personal image gallery + personal files, has data totalling ~10GB.

Not sure people can offer a > 10GB VPS for < $10USD.

However I have been interested in finding VPS/dedicated providers who supply lower end performance systems but with big amounts of disk space. I'm sure the average personal site can run on an Intel P3 with only 128MB of RAM, but requires >5 or 10GB of disk space. My experience is this type of service is sometimes hard to come by.

Thanks for the replies.