Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Oh you were right. I just checked the C2E and it's extremely pricy. Well if the time comes for me to get that processor I'm sure I will be able to afford it when the time comes . I guess I will go with the Conroe. Also I have been wondering if I got 2 separate harddrives would I be able to run DirectAdmin on 1 harddrive and cPanel on the other harddrive? If I did this would my 2gb of memory be able to withstand it or would I have to upgrade to 4gb? I've saved enough from getting cheaper prices on certain parts that I'm willing to spend a bit more now for a more quality server .
    Rageki Web Hosting Solutions - Canada & United States Web Hosting
    DirectAdmin & cPanel Control Panels
    99% Uptime!
    30 Day Money Back Guaranteed!

to do so you will have to do server virtualization with xen of openvz, you will have then two separate virtual servers with each runnning one control panel.
    Otherwise it is not possible to run DA and cpanel on the same server

1go / virtual server is enought for a few websites, it all depend what kind of sites you will be hosting.

[and I know you said you had sorted out the issue but.. I would add raid1 to the server.]

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-AEC View Post
    Chong, do you have a lead on those Foxconn boards? They have disappeared off of NewEgg
    you still can find them on some web-based retailers. however, it ain't going to be as cheap as $38 at which newegg used to sell them for.

Quote Originally Posted by Rageki-John
    Hey, Chong if you aren't able to find it I think I have found another one that can act as it's replacement and it's also made from Foxconn. Motherboard:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813186112
    this board is not a good idea either.
    1. stacked audio ports are too high to clear 1U rear panel. thus, you will need to be "brave" enough to saw it off
    2. on-board realtek GB nic is NOT supported by even the latest CentOS 5.1 kernel
    C.W. LEE, Apaq Digital Systems
    http://www.apaqdigital.com
    sales@apaqdigital.com

I'd recommend using a RE of RE2 edition of that WD Driver, thos Caviars are not made for heavy usage, the RE/RE2 will only be a couple bucks more and well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by (Stephen) View Post
    I'd recommend using a RE of RE2 edition of that WD Driver, thos Caviars are not made for heavy usage, the RE/RE2 will only be a couple bucks more and well worth it.
    or the new RE2-GP (Green Power Edition) which uses just 6-watt (500G model) to do read/write and 3.3watt idling. however, it starts with 500G minimal.
    sales@apaqdigital.com

I found the 946GZ7MA for about $52. I'm not sure but would I still have to saw off minor parts of the sound post with this board too?
    99% Uptime!

Quote Originally Posted by Rageki-John View Post
    I found the 946GZ7MA for about $52. I'm not sure but would I still have to saw off minor parts of the sound post with this board too?
    you don't have to do that on 946GZ7MA board. for this type of desktop board, you will need the Dynatron socket 775 active blower CPU fan. to install any non-supermicro motherboard in supermicro 1U chassis, CBL-0084 (front panel split cable) is also needed, and it can be obtained from supermicro directly.
    sales@apaqdigital.com

Is there any reason to go with Intel and not AMD? The Intel cpu seem to be alway higher than AMD and AMD dual core is pretty decent for the price. so...i'm wondering why most of you pick Intel over AMD.

The Intel CPU's less power and run cooler. AMD's run great too but costwise for power Intel's are more efficient. Also for me the AMD Motherboard would end up costing too much .
    99% Uptime!

AMD ADO5200 (X2-5200 AM2 2.7Ghz dual-core 65-watt version) on Asus M2N-MX SE plus board runs very decently on performance, power consumption and price. the Asus board fits nicely in SC512L chassis, runs CentOS 5.1 well, and you can upgrade CPU to quad-core Phenom too!

ADO5200 + M2N-MX Se plus board costs about the same with C2D E4500 + foxconn 946GZ7MA board.
    sales@apaqdigital.com

Quote Originally Posted by cwl@apaqdigital View Post
    AMD ADO5200 (X2-5200 AM2 2.7Ghz dual-core 65-watt version) on Asus M2N-MX SE plus board runs very decently on performance, power consumption and price. the Asus board fits nicely in SC512L chassis, runs CentOS 5.1 well, and you can upgrade CPU to quad-core Phenom too!

ADO5200 + M2N-MX Se plus board costs about the same with C2D E4500 + foxconn 946GZ7MA board.
    Hey I just looked up that board you were talking about for the AMD . Would it support an AMD Opteron? If not and I got the Phenom instead would that be as good as a Core 2 Duo or better? Would this motherboard fit the IO Panel of my case if I took the IO Panel out?
    99% Uptime!

Quote Originally Posted by Rageki-John View Post
    Hey I just looked up that board you were talking about for the AMD . Would it support an AMD Opteron? If not and I got the Phenom instead would that be as good as a Core 2 Duo or better? Would this motherboard fit the IO Panel of my case if I took the IO Panel out?
    the M2N-MX board should support 1200 series Opteron AM2 CPU, but we've never tried it before, can't say for sure...

if you need quad-core, perhaps Xeon X3210 (the "best bang for the buck" Intel quad-core CPU!) on the foxconn board will be a better choice.

as long as you put any non-supermicro board in supermicro mini 1U or regular 1U chassis, you always need to remove IO plate which is for the fitments of supermicro server board exclusively.
    sales@apaqdigital.com

Smile

the M2N-MX board should support 1200 series Opteron AM2 CPU, but we've never tried it before, can't say for sure...
    I tried it earlier this week and indeed it did work.
    I have never tested it with the M2N-MX SE (new version) though.

However, I prefer to pick up a server board for use with a server processor.
    Last edited by YUPAPA; 02-23-2008 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YUPAPA View Post
    I tried it earlier this week and indeed it did work.
    I have never tested it with the M2N-MX SE (new version) though.

However, I prefer to pick up a server board for use with a server processor.
    well, server board is nice but usually is cost prohibited for low-budget server. again, my years of experience in server building, we've definitely seen more failed SM/Tyan server boards than failed desktop boards from Asus/Foxconn/Gigabyte/Intel. I can surely contest that server boards ain't more reliable than name-brand desktop boards.

end users need to think hard that whether the premium of server boards (easily 4-5 times of desktop board) is really worth the money if you don't ever need the server features such as remote management, ECC supports, higher RAM capacity, PCI-X slots, dual CPU sockets...etc. YOU BUY SERVER BOARD FOR SERVER FEATURES, NOT FOR HIGHER RELIABILITY!
    sales@apaqdigital.com

Smile

well, server board is nice but usually is cost prohibited for low-budget server. again, my years of experience in server building, we've definitely seen more failed SM/Tyan server boards than failed desktop boards from Asus/Foxconn/Gigabyte/Intel. I can surely contest that server boards ain't more reliable than name-brand desktop boards.

end users need to think hard that whether the premium of server boards (easily 4-5 times of desktop board) is really worth the money if you don't ever need the server features such as remote management, ECC supports, higher RAM capacity, PCI-X slots, dual CPU sockets...etc. YOU BUY SERVER BOARD FOR SERVER FEATURES, NOT FOR HIGHER RELIABILITY!
    Yes I agree desktop board are cheap and can run as reliable as a server board. I also have servers using desktop boards and I have never seen one that fails yet.

The only thing I am concern is that desktop boards are not intend to be used with a server processor, so I am very worry to stick a opteron to a AM2 desktop board or a xeon 3xxx to a 755 desktop board. If you are just using a AM2 athlon or sempron or core duo with a desktop board and run it as a server, I have no problem with that.

Quote Originally Posted by YUPAPA View Post
    Yes I agree desktop board are cheap and can run as reliable as a server board. I also have servers using desktop boards and I have never seen one that fails yet.

The only thing I am concern is that desktop boards are not intend to be used with a server processor, so I am very worry to stick a opteron to a AM2 desktop board or a xeon 3xxx to a 755 desktop board. If you are just using a AM2 athlon or sempron or core duo with a desktop board and run it as a server, I have no problem with that.
    there are no secrets that lots of UP (uni-processor) CPUs from both Intel and AMD are the same processors under different names (xeon vs C2D/C2Q, opteron vs X2).

core2 Conroe dual-core:
    Xeon 3050 = E6420
    Xeon 3060 = E6600
    Xeon 3070 = E6700

core2 Kentsfield quad-core:
    Xeon X3230 = Q6700
    Xeon X3220 = Q6600
    Xeon X3210 = Q6500

AMD dual-core AM2:
    Opteron 1212 = X2-4000 (the old 90nm "windsor" core, 2x 1M L2 version)
    Otperon 1214 = X2-4400 ( : )
    Opteron 1216 = X2-4800 ( : )
    Opteron 1218 = X2-5200 ( : )

as long as BIOS identifies CPU properly (clock speed, FSB, size of L2 cache), and OS sees correct # of cores, I don't think you will have any issue to use desktop board to house those so-called "server" CPUs, namely Xeon/Opteron UP processors.

we did just install large# of Xeon X3210 quad-core on Foxconn 946GZ7MA (must use latest BIOS) without issues whatsoever.
    sales@apaqdigital.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12