Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking My Core 2 Duo Server!

I have finally got all the parts that I want for my Core 2 Duo Server. Please tell me if there are any issues with the parts. There will not be any RAID so don't recommend it because I have found another alternative to it.

CPU: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...=CP2-DUO-E4500
    Memory:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...9&sku=ULT40050
    HardDrive:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&sku=TSD-250KS
    CPU Fan and Heatsink:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835114075
    Server Case:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811152087
    Motherboard:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813182126

So what do you guys think? The total pricing is 506.66 including shipping and tax. If some of you are wondering why don't I get it all at Newegg is because TigerDirect doesn't charge me tax so I prefer to get some items on Newegg and the ones I can't find on TigerDirect I get from Newegg .
    Rageki Web Hosting Solutions - Canada & United States Web Hosting
    DirectAdmin & cPanel Control Panels
    99% Uptime!
    30 Day Money Back Guaranteed!

We have quite a few of these as dedicated server with the same specs (MB and processor) and they do quite well. Hard to go wrong with SuperMicro

That's prettymuch exactly what we use, however we had fitment issues with third party heatsinks on that motherboard... You might check Provantage for their SNK-P0016, and right angle power cables will probably be necessary to mount the drives.
    ██ HermeTek Network Solutions
    ██ Network design, security, and implementation
    ██ BSD & Linux consulting, training, and hosting
    ██ https://www.hermetek.com | 1.866.235.1288

4. as I replied to your other thread, you will need these accessories:
    SATA data cable with right-angle connector
    SATA power cable with right-angle connector
    supermicro SNK-P0016 copper passive heatsink
    supermicro PT-95 air shroud

do not use Dynatron 1U CPU blower fan on supermicro socket 775 board because the under-motherboard "X"-shape mounting bracket, come with the cooling unit, will interfere with some surface-mount components on the motherboard bottom. instead, use supermicro's passive heatsink + air-shroud solution.

The board will come with 4 SATA cables that work just fine... The only cables you need to have right angle are the power connectors. We run them without the air shroud (the blower adjusted towards the heatsink) and our Xeon 3060's idle at 45c.

You appealed to my curiousity since the motherboard requires a newer lm-sensors than ships with any OS I run. I took that temperature when the server was sitting in my bedroom, not in a datacenter.

I just installed lm-sensors on a spare server in one of my racks:

atlas:~/lm_sensors-2.10.5# cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep 2180
    model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2180 @ 2.00GHz
    model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2180 @ 2.00GHz

And found this:
    temp1: +30C (high = +60C, hyst = +55C)
    temp2: +13.5C (high = +55.0C, hyst = +45.0C) --60ish F? Wonder if these need adjustment.

Just after compiling:
    atlas:~/lm_sensors-2.10.5# uptime
    22:20:30 up 18 min, 1 user, load average: 0.10, 0.54, 0.77

The processor is also a 65w processor... Looks to be a little closer to spec
    Last edited by hermetek; 02-20-2008 at 12:29 AM.

i'm just curious why you didn't go for 4GB of RAM. the link that post for RAM seem to be desktop RAM and if you are going to use desktop RAM why not max it out? desktop RAM are pretty cheap even 2GB module.

Maybe he is on a tight budget, jt2377.
    --

It looks good, the 200WATT PSU seems so low though, do you have any plans on getting a better one? The CPU itself uses 65W...

Other then that, looks good.

It's a 260w and I've never had problems...

Quote Originally Posted by jt2377 View Post
    i'm just curious why you didn't go for 4GB of RAM. the link that post for RAM seem to be desktop RAM and if you are going to use desktop RAM why not max it out? desktop RAM are pretty cheap even 2GB module.
    I actually might if I can get a good deal at my local Fry's one of these weekends. It's a 260Watt PSU. Where did you see a 200W PSU? I've been looking for the passive heat sink and the air shroud but it just seems to be sold out at most places.
    99% Uptime!

11. Quote Originally Posted by jt2377 View Post
    the Intel 946GZ northbridge (memory controller) on PDSBM board doesn't support ECC function at all. thus, it' useless to install ECC RAM which will default to non-ECC mode even if you use them.

also, Intel 946GZ chipset permits ~3G RAM to be addressed by OS, linux or windows, even if you have 4-Gig RAM installed physically.

pick up this board, it's cheap on ebay!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=330211928369

the Intel 946GZ northbridge (memory controller) on PDSBM board doesn't support ECC function at all. thus, it' useless to install ECC RAM which will default to non-ECC mode even if you use them.

also, Intel 946GZ chipset permits ~3G RAM to be addressed by OS, linux or windows, even if you have 4-Gig RAM installed physically.
    We run these boards with 4gb ram and PAE(4gb addressing, not 64).

I found the passive heatsink but I can't seem to find the air shroud. Would it be ok for me not to get the air shroud? How would it affect my cooling? If it would affect it big time then I will just order it directly from Supermicro.
    99% Uptime!

Ah I see. I will get the heatsink first and try to use the cheaper method. If it turns out to be not so effective(and I wouldn't be surprised) I will order the air shroud directly from Supermicro. Thanks everyone .
    99% Uptime!

I have found a new motherboard which is cheaper and much better than my old one.
    Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131193

I read the reviews and saw that the Core 2 Duo E6600 ran fine but I am planning on getting this cpu.

CPU: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...=CP2-DUO-E4500

It is the E4500 model and I'm not sure if it's compatible. Can anyone care to give some opinion?

Edit: I have just checked the Asus website and it seems that the Core 2 Duo is completely compatible. The only downside is that one of the network ports will be blocked off by my case but I will still have 1 that is useable. Is 1 network port good enough? If not should I just make my own hole in the case by cutting off a minor part of the grill?

If everything works should I still get the passive heatsink from supermicro or should I get the P199 Dynatron CPU Cooler?
    Last edited by Rageki-John; 02-21-2008 at 10:03 PM.
    99% Uptime!

That mobo should be fine. The Intel 3000 chipset has good Linux support.

Processor will be fine. Both socket 775. I'd be concerned about compatibility going to C2Q but not between C2D's.

Second network port would be good if you are racking more than a few machines and you are looking to have a local network setup between your machines, or if you are looking for (and are provided) a redundant network setup.

Of course, if you leave the network port covered you will end up needing it, and if you open it you will probably never use it (Murphy's Law?)

18. I will definitely recommend against installing Asus P5M2-E board in SM SC512 chassis. it has a layout similar to "desktop" board with DIMM slots blocking airflow from chassis blower. worst thing is that the 24-pin power connector will be right in front of blower fan!

you can't use passive heatsink on this kind of layout because you won't get any airflow over heatsink. instead, you must solely count on active CPU blower fan to provide CPU cooling.

this Asus baord will be great for tower server, but not really designed for 1U chassis. if you really want to go cheap, a $50 desktop board, such foxconn 946GZ7MA board, is proven to do great in SC512 chassis.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I will definitely recommend against installing Asus P5M2-E board in SM SC512 chassis. it has a layout similar to "desktop" board with DIMM slots blocking airflow from chassis blower. worst thing is that the 24-pin power connector will be right in front of blower fan!

you can't use passive heatsink on this kind of layout because you won't get any airflow over heatsink. instead, you must solely count on active CPU blower fan to provide CPU cooling.

this Asus baord will be great for tower server, but not really designed for 1U chassis. if you really want to go cheap, a $50 desktop board, such foxconn 946GZ7MA board, is proven to do great in SC512 chassis.
    If that's the case then I will go back to my original motherboard . I guess the time for searching is over and it's the time for buying . Thanks a lot everyone and I hope all my parts work .
    99% Uptime!

Chong, do you have a lead on those Foxconn boards? They have disappeared off of NewEgg

Hey, Chong if you aren't able to find it I think I have found another one that can act as it's replacement and it's also made from Foxconn.

Motherboard:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813186112

The only downside to it is that if I wanted to upgrade to a Core 2 Quad I would have to get a different motherboard. Adam showed me a picture of that motherboard in a 1U Server Case possibly the same case I ordered and the motherboard looks exactly the same except mine can't support a Core 2 Quad. Please let me now if you can find the one you mentioned and if you can't whether this one would work fine or not.

So far the price with that motherboard is a total of $398.25 including shipping and tax . It's looking good to go. I guess if I really wanted to upgrade this I could always get a Core 2 Extreme instead.

Edit: If I were to get this CPU would it make a difference? Is there a big gap between a Conroe and an Allendale?

CPU(Allendale): http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...224&CatId=2397
    CPU(Conroe): http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...573&CatId=2397

The reason I'm interested in the Conroe is due to the 4mb Cache. It is slower though in terms of ghz as the Allendale is a 2.2ghz with a 2MB Cache and the Conroe is a 1.86ghz with a 4MB Cache. Which one would you guys go for? I also have to add the cpu fan so if I get the Conroe it'll total to be around $480 and if I get the Allendale it'll total to be around $420-$430.
    Last edited by Rageki-John; 02-22-2008 at 01:44 AM.
    99% Uptime!

I guess if I really wanted to upgrade this I could always get a Core 2 Extreme instead.
    You do realize the C2E processors start at $900+ for the processor itself, right?

--

I would get the Conroe over the Allendale, as extra cache always comes in handy, and it is a dual core 1.86GHz and is still a great processor, and is clocked well.

Oh you were right. I just checked the C2E and it's extremely pricy. Well if the time comes for me to get that processor I'm sure I will be able to afford it when the time comes . I guess I will go with the Conroe. Also I have been wondering if I got 2 separate harddrives would I be able to run DirectAdmin on 1 harddrive and cPanel on the other harddrive? If I did this would my 2gb of memory be able to withstand it or would I have to upgrade to 4gb? I've saved enough from getting cheaper prices on certain parts that I'm willing to spend a bit more now for a more quality server .
    99% Uptime!

to do so you will have to do server virtualization with xen of openvz, you will have then two separate virtual servers with each runnning one control panel.
    Otherwise it is not possible to run DA and cpanel on the same server

1go / virtual server is enought for a few websites, it all depend what kind of sites you will be hosting.

[and I know you said you had sorted out the issue but.. I would add raid1 to the server.]

25. Quote Originally Posted by Adam-AEC View Post
    Chong, do you have a lead on those Foxconn boards? They have disappeared off of NewEgg
    you still can find them on some web-based retailers. however, it ain't going to be as cheap as $38 at which newegg used to sell them for.

Quote Originally Posted by Rageki-John
    Hey, Chong if you aren't able to find it I think I have found another one that can act as it's replacement and it's also made from Foxconn. Motherboard:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813186112
    this board is not a good idea either.
    1. stacked audio ports are too high to clear 1U rear panel. thus, you will need to be "brave" enough to saw it off
    2. on-board realtek GB nic is NOT supported by even the latest CentOS 5.1 kernel

I'd recommend using a RE of RE2 edition of that WD Driver, thos Caviars are not made for heavy usage, the RE/RE2 will only be a couple bucks more and well worth it.

I found the 946GZ7MA for about $52. I'm not sure but would I still have to saw off minor parts of the sound post with this board too?
    99% Uptime!

28. Quote Originally Posted by Rageki-John View Post
    I found the 946GZ7MA for about $52. I'm not sure but would I still have to saw off minor parts of the sound post with this board too?
    you don't have to do that on 946GZ7MA board. for this type of desktop board, you will need the Dynatron socket 775 active blower CPU fan. to install any non-supermicro motherboard in supermicro 1U chassis, CBL-0084 (front panel split cable) is also needed, and it can be obtained from supermicro directly.

Is there any reason to go with Intel and not AMD? The Intel cpu seem to be alway higher than AMD and AMD dual core is pretty decent for the price. so...i'm wondering why most of you pick Intel over AMD.

The Intel CPU's less power and run cooler. AMD's run great too but costwise for power Intel's are more efficient. Also for me the AMD Motherboard would end up costing too much .
    99% Uptime!

31. AMD ADO5200 (X2-5200 AM2 2.7Ghz dual-core 65-watt version) on Asus M2N-MX SE plus board runs very decently on performance, power consumption and price. the Asus board fits nicely in SC512L chassis, runs CentOS 5.1 well, and you can upgrade CPU to quad-core Phenom too!

ADO5200 + M2N-MX Se plus board costs about the same with C2D E4500 + foxconn 946GZ7MA board.

AMD ADO5200 (X2-5200 AM2 2.7Ghz dual-core 65-watt version) on Asus M2N-MX SE plus board runs very decently on performance, power consumption and price. the Asus board fits nicely in SC512L chassis, runs CentOS 5.1 well, and you can upgrade CPU to quad-core Phenom too!

ADO5200 + M2N-MX Se plus board costs about the same with C2D E4500 + foxconn 946GZ7MA board.
    Hey I just looked up that board you were talking about for the AMD . Would it support an AMD Opteron? If not and I got the Phenom instead would that be as good as a Core 2 Duo or better? Would this motherboard fit the IO Panel of my case if I took the IO Panel out?
    99% Uptime!

33. Quote Originally Posted by Rageki-John View Post
    Hey I just looked up that board you were talking about for the AMD . Would it support an AMD Opteron? If not and I got the Phenom instead would that be as good as a Core 2 Duo or better? Would this motherboard fit the IO Panel of my case if I took the IO Panel out?
    the M2N-MX board should support 1200 series Opteron AM2 CPU, but we've never tried it before, can't say for sure...

if you need quad-core, perhaps Xeon X3210 (the "best bang for the buck" Intel quad-core CPU!) on the foxconn board will be a better choice.

as long as you put any non-supermicro board in supermicro mini 1U or regular 1U chassis, you always need to remove IO plate which is for the fitments of supermicro server board exclusively.

Smile

the M2N-MX board should support 1200 series Opteron AM2 CPU, but we've never tried it before, can't say for sure...
    I tried it earlier this week and indeed it did work.
    I have never tested it with the M2N-MX SE (new version) though.

However, I prefer to pick up a server board for use with a server processor.
    Last edited by YUPAPA; 02-23-2008 at 01:17 PM.

35. Quote Originally Posted by YUPAPA View Post
    I tried it earlier this week and indeed it did work.
    I have never tested it with the M2N-MX SE (new version) though.

However, I prefer to pick up a server board for use with a server processor.
    well, server board is nice but usually is cost prohibited for low-budget server. again, my years of experience in server building, we've definitely seen more failed SM/Tyan server boards than failed desktop boards from Asus/Foxconn/Gigabyte/Intel. I can surely contest that server boards ain't more reliable than name-brand desktop boards.

end users need to think hard that whether the premium of server boards (easily 4-5 times of desktop board) is really worth the money if you don't ever need the server features such as remote management, ECC supports, higher RAM capacity, PCI-X slots, dual CPU sockets...etc. YOU BUY SERVER BOARD FOR SERVER FEATURES, NOT FOR HIGHER RELIABILITY!

Smile

well, server board is nice but usually is cost prohibited for low-budget server. again, my years of experience in server building, we've definitely seen more failed SM/Tyan server boards than failed desktop boards from Asus/Foxconn/Gigabyte/Intel. I can surely contest that server boards ain't more reliable than name-brand desktop boards.

end users need to think hard that whether the premium of server boards (easily 4-5 times of desktop board) is really worth the money if you don't ever need the server features such as remote management, ECC supports, higher RAM capacity, PCI-X slots, dual CPU sockets...etc. YOU BUY SERVER BOARD FOR SERVER FEATURES, NOT FOR HIGHER RELIABILITY!
    Yes I agree desktop board are cheap and can run as reliable as a server board. I also have servers using desktop boards and I have never seen one that fails yet.

The only thing I am concern is that desktop boards are not intend to be used with a server processor, so I am very worry to stick a opteron to a AM2 desktop board or a xeon 3xxx to a 755 desktop board. If you are just using a AM2 athlon or sempron or core duo with a desktop board and run it as a server, I have no problem with that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast