Backup my Servers to my PC?

I am looking for a way to backup my servers (Linux w/ cpanel) to my pc. I have some large storage drives and I'd like to save the data locally. Does anyone know of some pc based software that will do this?

Thanks,
    Brandon

How fast is your connection at home, and how many GB are you looking to backup?

Depending on your answer, this is probably a very impractical idea and you're better off with a remote backup service such as BQBackup or a reseller, RsyncPalace.
    Patrick William | RACK911 Labs | Software Security Auditing
    400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com

www.HostingSecList.com - Security notices for the hosting community.

Only about 12 GB

My connection is about 3MB

I'd like to do an initial full backup and then incrementals after that.

Your best option is to write a custom rsync script and push it over ssh to a computer on your home network (you can possibly even use cygwin if you only have Windows available to push to.) You would need to use something like no-ip or dyndns to push (reliably via cron, anyway) whereas if you don't mind root login (passwordless-auth) being enabled on your server, you could just pull.
    ██ HermeTek Network Solutions
    ██ Network design, security, and implementation
    ██ BSD & Linux consulting, training, and hosting
    ██ https://www.hermetek.com | 1.866.235.1288

I don't think making the backups is a big deal but if you ever have to restore 12gb of data I doubt you will be able to do it over your home PC's connection.

Quote Originally Posted by hermetek View Post
    Your best option is to write a custom rsync script and push it over ssh to a computer on your home network (you can possibly even use cygwin if you only have Windows available to push to.) You would need to use something like no-ip or dyndns to push (reliably via cron, anyway) whereas if you don't mind root login (passwordless-auth) being enabled on your server, you could just pull.
    Check out unison, it uses the rsync protocol and whilst it's made for two way replication you can set it to one way. It can run natively under windows, so no cygwin needed, and there is a GUI for it (although last time I looked at the GUI it wasn't terribly impressive).

Works very well though.

I have a cron job on my server that creates bz2 archives of the folders I need backuped up, and another scheduled batch file on my Windows PC that uses Putty's pscp command to copy the archives down over SSH.

Not as efficient as rsync, but it works for small amounts of data.

Have a look at rsnapshot, and also unison as previously mentioned.

Also, only back up to a unix machine. If you back up to a windows computer it won't preserve any of the file ownerships or permissions, which would make it a royal pain if you ever have to restore.
    System administration, application development, and project management.
    http://erek.blumenthals.com/blog/

rsync is the best solution to what you need, once you backup the whole database, you can do incremental backups that will be very fast. rsync has the ability to check diferences and only download the changed files.