Question New Dedicated Server w/ Lots of IPs - Need Host Suggestions

Hello Everyone,

We need to add a new dedicated server to our network and want to try out a new host in an effort to diversify our machines. We will start with 1 dedicated server and expand with additional ones after we have evaluated the service.

If anyone has any suggestions, ideas, or input at all, I’d really appreciate it!

The *MINIMUM* specs are:
    2 CoreDuo CPU's at ~2GHz
    2Gb RAM
    2 SATA 250Gb drives
    [We can, of course, go with more power!]

IMPORTANT:
    We are an email service provider with very strict anti-spam policies. We do not send unsolicited email and have an Abuse Dept. to monitor all outbound traffic. We have relationships with all the major ISPs, including whitelisting and feedback loops. Our current web hosts have not had any problems with us over the past several years, but I wanted to mention this in an effort for ‘full disclosure’.

Since we have very strict email policies, we do put each of our clients on their own dedicated IP address.

The host we are looking for must be able to supply us with a large quantity (anywhere from 62 to start up to 254) of IP addresses for this machine (and the other machines we will add later).

We are one of Canada’s Top 300 IT Companies (source: Backbone Magazine) and are very reputable.

Thank you in advance for your time and attention.

I’m a bit hazy on the actual forum rules, but I don’t think people can actually post offers here. Please feel free to post any suggestions.

Thanks...Cheers!

-- Dave Harper
    Last edited by CArmstrong; 02-20-2008 at 12:28 AM.

FDCServers, Sharktech (uses FDCServers core router), GeekRack (they offer 256 IPs for fairly cheap), or direct from BurstNet. Those are some I know.

Awknet also sells IPs cheap when you buy more.

Can you provide valid ARIN justification for the IPs you need? If so you should not have any problem getting IPs allocated from any provider in the US.
    Ryan - Limestone Networks - Client Relations Manager
    Cloud, Dedicated & Enterprise Hosting - Premium Network - DDoS Protection Available
    Dedicated Servers @LimestoneInc - limestonenetworks.com - 877.586.0555

Dave, what's your overall budget for the listed requirements?
    ServerTag Technologies - Everything you need for hosting activity
    A Canadian company providing top notch site hosting, servers and colocation services

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the fast replies.

To address Ryanís question:
    Our justification for these IPs is for dedicated mailings. This is similar to needing a dedicated IP address for an SSL certificate, since we can only have one client per IP address. Some hosts in the past have said this is no problem at all as long as we are not hoarding IPs or letting them go to waste (which we simply donít do!), while other hosts are a lot more stringent about allocating IPs.

To address Danís question:
    We donít really have an exact budget in mind. Our server specs are pretty basic, so Iíd imagine that would come in close to what weíre paying at our existing hosts. Then the cost for all the IPs we need usually depends on how many weíre getting. For instance, most of our current hosts charge us a certain amount for a block of 14, 20, 62, 126, etc.

One thing I didnít mention in my original post is that we require good support. We are relatively low maintenance, but obviously if the server goes offline due to a hardware failure, network issue, etc., we need that to be corrected urgently, since it doesnít take our customers long to figure out things arenít working. ;-)

Cheers,

Dave

Atjeu might be good for you. They have speedy reply times to tickets (~2 minutes).
    simplywww: directadmin and cpanel hosting that will rock your socks
    Need some work done in a datacenter in the NYC area? NYC Remote Hands can do it.

Follow my "deals" Twitter for hardware specials.. @dougysdeals

Honestly your requirements are not out of the ordinary at all. I would check the dedicated offers forum http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36

Once you see a provider that sparks your interest, do a search on them here on WHT and find out as much as you can about how their customers feel about them. Just about every provider out there has some reviews on them.

Best of luck!
    Ryan - Limestone Networks - Client Relations Manager
    Cloud, Dedicated & Enterprise Hosting - Premium Network - DDoS Protection Available
    Dedicated Servers @LimestoneInc - limestonenetworks.com - 877.586.0555

Dave,

How much bandwidth would you be looking for? Where is most of the emails sent to (Canada, US, Europe, etc.)? Is there a specific location you'd prefer?

This will help us narrow down your search. There's a lot of reputable hosts out there.
    Right Servers Inc. - Fully Managed Cloud Servers in Canada. Join our White Labelled WHMCS Cloud VPS Reseller Program to become your own host!
    SSD Accelerated Cloud | cPanel/WHM | Softaculous | Idera Backups | Bitcoin & Litecoin Accepted

Most of our company's emails are sent in North America. The server would have to be located in Canada or the USA, but either is fine.

With regards to bandwidth, I think our currents hosts give us around 1000 Ė 1400GB of bandwidth and thatís never been an issue. There really isnít all that much bandwidth used on each server.

Let me know if you think any other details would help.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

Dave

I could name a bunch but I think it'd be easier if you did a search and email the company sales department for answers then go from there. Once you've decided on a host, then start doing more research on them (before or after)

^^ Just like Ryan mentioned.
    A Canadian company providing top notch site hosting, servers and colocation services

Hi Dan,

Yes, I could do that.

I was just sort of hoping to go the other way where someone in this community would have a recommendation on a web host that has a good availability of IP addresses and is willing to host several servers for an ESP (even though itíd just be one to try things out at the beginning).

I have already begun contacting the sales departments at different host, but, obviously, there are so many to potentially reach out to.

If anyone has any other host recommendations that can speed up my hunt/search, Iíd greatly appreciate it!

Cheers!

Dave

Go with RapidSwitch. We usually get approved within 3 minutes

Try steadfast, iweb, clearancerack, or ubhosting.

Who have you tried so far?
    Right Servers Inc. - Fully Managed Cloud Servers in Canada. Join our White Labelled WHMCS Cloud VPS Reseller Program to become your own host!
    SSD Accelerated Cloud | cPanel/WHM | Softaculous | Idera Backups | Bitcoin & Litecoin Accepted

Quote Originally Posted by daveharper View Post
    Hi Dan,

Yes, I could do that.

I was just sort of hoping to go the other way where someone in this community would have a recommendation on a web host that has a good availability of IP addresses and is willing to host several servers for an ESP (even though it’d just be one to try things out at the beginning).

I have already begun contacting the sales departments at different host, but, obviously, there are so many to potentially reach out to.

If anyone has any other host recommendations that can speed up my hunt/search, I’d greatly appreciate it!

Cheers!

Dave
    You're correct, so you are going to need to narrow your options. Location and budget comes to mind.
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

Since your service is email-related, most likely your service is very distributed. Do you need a single server or would it be more practical to spread the load over multiple slower servers with the ease of horizontal scaling as necessary?

Eric
    Genesis Hosting Solutions, LLC
    http://www.genesishosting.com/
    Instant VMware vSphere Cloud Environments
    Unlimited virtual machines within your purchased resources!

On a 2 CoreDuo CPU's you'd be fine as long as the server had plenty of memory in them. We've seen this done with some of our clients and the machine hold up nicely.

As long as you can justify your need for the IP's then I can't see any issues.

Good Luck
    ------
    ColoHotel.net - Canada, The World!

Most Decent Dedicated Service Providers will match you, check in the offer forum and check for some reviews of the individual companies. Then contact their sales department and ask the question about weather they can provide the needed IPS and ask them some other related questions.

Good Luck