Why are .info domains so darn cheap??

What's the deal with .info domains being sold for only $0.99? Have they been penalized by Google, Yahoo! et al due to the popularity of using them as Made-For-Adsense and junk/duplicate content sites? This has been my understanding so I've stayed away from them for a long time.

I want to register one - the phrase is actually available as a .info and the price is right - but I won't waste my time if it isn't going to perform as well on the major search engines.

If anyone has any direct experience with their .info domains, I'd like to hear about it. Thanks!
    Yes, I keep yet another SEO blog. But I'm an SEO nut, so what do you expect?

It'll perform fine in search engines. It's a marketing thing to get more .info's out there. The $0.99 is only for new registrations. You'll have to pay full price to renew.
    Signature Under Construction.

Well there seems to no demand for the .info domains compared to .com and .net .

Thanks for the feedback, Stu. As I just found out elsewhere, the low costs for .info's is nothing new.. the company that put out .info's, Afilias, originally offered incentives to registrars, including low costs. That explains the "deals" occurring now. But it's helpful knowing renewals are at normal costs..
    Yes, I keep yet another SEO blog. But I'm an SEO nut, so what do you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Biju View Post
    Well there seems to no demand for the .info domains compared to .com and .net .
    Are you saying 'People do not want Info.' !

The registry sells the .info domains at a low price, so registrars can offer it cheap

IMO - .com domains still rule!
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

They just want people fall in cheap trap and get stick to it because second year fees is bit more then .com is priced.

Quote Originally Posted by Woooo View Post
    They just want people fall in cheap trap and get stick to it because second year fees is bit more then .com is priced.
    yap!

thats the business i guess.
    WebHosting.com.bd - Web Hosting Bangladesh
    Limited Sites Per Server | cPanel | RVSiteBuilder PRO | Rapid Support | Pay-As-You-Go Reseller
    DomainDokan.com - Domain Registration Bangladesh
    Real-time Registration | Online Control Panel | Rapid Support | Turn-key Reseller

I have many infos for brand protect, or .. Informative status sites =P
    Each registrar is a tool. Not all Tools are for the same thing

theres an active .info buyer & seller market, some people specialize in info's. They are great for travel, information and blogs.
    hosting is ongoing