VPS as a business

I am not sure if this is the correct section for this post, because there is a hosting business section, but I thought that most of teh "experts" would be in this VPS section. So Moderator fee free to move the post, if you prefer.

With that said, we have been doing some shared hosting small scale for a while, but we are about to ramp things up. Additionally, we have been looking at creating a division that just focuses on VPS. Our reasons are:

1. that the number of clients per server is fewer
    2. bigger margins per client
    3. more sophiscated clients mean hopefully fewer or more reasonable support issuse.
    4. Generally more profitable

Are we on the right track? Is the VPS hosting business "better" than the share business (all things being equal)?
    We turn your problems in CASH. www.BuyerOfLastResort.com

Quote Originally Posted by profezor View Post
    I am not sure if this is the correct section for this post, because there is a hosting business section, but I thought that most of teh "experts" would be in this VPS section. So Moderator fee free to move the post, if you prefer.

With that said, we have been doing some shared hosting small scale for a while, but we are about to ramp things up. Additionally, we have been looking at creating a division that just focuses on VPS. Our reasons are:

3. more sophiscated clients mean hopefully fewer or more reasonable support issuse.
    I think you are correct to a point but but remember each VPS is like a dedicated server in terms of ongoing support for control panels, security updates and so on. Clients also really depend on which market you target. IF you are selling fully managed for $20/mo then you will not necessarily get the best clients. If you aim for $60+ you will.

HTH

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by profezor View Post
    It really depends on how you make your VPS different from everybody elses.

What would be your unique selling point that people choose you as their provider?
    -- Adam

Quote Originally Posted by a2b2 View Post
    I think you are correct to a point but but remember each VPS is like a dedicated server in terms of ongoing support for control panels, security updates and so on. Clients also really depend on which market you target. IF you are selling fully managed for $20/mo then you will not necessarily get the best clients. If you aim for $60+ you will.

HTH

Rus
    Yes, we have a niche in mind as well as price point and itis higher rather than lower.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam H View Post
    It really depends on how you make your VPS different from everybody elses.

What would be your unique selling point that people choose you as their provider?

Yes, we have a niche and target in mind and with that a value proposition. Whether or not it will work, the market will decide

Do you recommend any good dedicated providers that are very VPS friendly?

I would recomend JaguarPC. I would even contact the sales department there, and see what they have in the bargin bin.

I have servers at HostNine and Hivelocity, but I am always open for a good deal if Jag can provide it.