* Gameserver Optimization?

I hope some of you folks could give me some pointers here. I have a server that is used for a gaming clan's purposes. Nothing major as far as games go, but what I got I want running at peak efficiency.

The most important is the Counter-Strike source. I really need the kernel frequency to be tweaked for this. The number one question is can I merely modify the existing config file and recompile that or do I need to start all over? If I could do that is it something like make old or something to that matter?

I am running a couple other servers as well, but there is never a time where all the servers have anyone in them. I keep everything running. After installing some weird stuffs here and there I got the memory usage to go down. I think. Regarding a scenario of having more than one instance of a game, is there any way to share memory between them?

My Swap. Is there a way to force idling games to move to it instead of using physical memory?

The kernel is what I really need to take care of. I'm still somewhat of a n00b and have just switched from centos to debian to top it off. So any tips would make my day. Thanks for reading me.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by SkrUbaLL View Post
    The most important is the Counter-Strike source. I really need the kernel frequency to be tweaked for this. The number one question is can I merely modify the existing config file and recompile that or do I need to start all over? If I could do that is it something like make old or something to that matter?
    Try the steampowered.com forums they contain a guide in the Linux SRCDS for recompling (or sometimes a reconfigure) the kernel. I thought most Linux kernels were running at 500hz+ anyway now, my Fedora Core 6 box was 1000hz from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by SkrUbaLL View Post
    I am running a couple other servers as well, but there is never a time where all the servers have anyone in them. I keep everything running. After installing some weird stuffs here and there I got the memory usage to go down. I think. Regarding a scenario of having more than one instance of a game, is there any way to share memory between them?

My Swap. Is there a way to force idling games to move to it instead of using physical memory?
    As far as im aware this cant be done, but a Linux expert may now how to.
    Firestorm Hosting - Game Server Hosting
    http://www.firestormhosting.co.uk

Thanks!I'll take a look there and see what I can find. As far as the kernel frequency I see it go as high as 250 but that is it as far as I can tell. Is it possible that there could be some sort of scaling or something? Like it doesn't kick in until it is needed. Kinda like windows and winamp running?