Thread: IRC

IRC

I just wanted to communicate something I've notided about IRC. I have been browsing the VPS Offers forum for a few weeks for a cheap $10 VPS which I have not been able to find. I've noticed about 80% of hosts have a blanket ban on IRC use. While I can understand their point of view on IRC causing DDoS attacks sometimes, it doesn't seem fair blacklist IRC. IRC is a legitimate service which I personally volunteer to host for a small online community.

IRC is indeed a legitimate service (usually), though, IRC attracts more DDoS attacks. I don't see why it does, though, thats life.

I would think you need to spend a bit more if your looking for a IRC VPS solution.

EDIT: If you are just looking for something to run a IRCd on, try a unix shell, they are very cheap, and they work just like a VPS except you do not have root, and you cannot run much on them, www.sh3lls.net offers cheap unix shells.

Hi

The VPS providers I have come across haven't banned it for personal use, but if you are selling the service then they don't want it.

But what they also said is that if they have a DDOS attack and it was tracked back to a particular VPS then they would ban service.

You also have to keep in mind that many of these providers couldn't offer you IRC hosting if they wanted to as it's banned by their providers (datacenter, upstream, etc...).
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

Nemokrad, yes it is
    legitimate service
    But it a lot of people are trying to use that in ilegal way. That is one of the main reasons why a lot of providers do not allow IRC.
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
    >>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.

Quote Originally Posted by ~ServerPoint~ View Post
    Nemokrad, yes it is
    But it a lot of people are trying to use that in ilegal way. That is one of the main reasons why a lot of providers do not allow IRC.
    And a lot of people use web services in illegal ways as well, but it is obviously not right to ban the web. Nor is it right to ban IRC. In your AUP/TOS, you ban the illegal activities, not the whole service.

It annoys me a great deal too that the majority of hosts have an IRC ban, it does attract, in some cases, unwanted attention, but IMO a lot of people are over reacting.

I know a couple of good hosts that allow it: www.slicehost.com - no restsriction at all as far as I know, and www.linode.com - their upstream blocks some of the main IRC ports but you can run IRC services on custom ports.

We hadn't blocked the IRC ports in our Dallas location for a 8 month period. Once we blocked IRC the amount of DoS attacks we received dropped *significantly*.

IRC from your own ISP connection. It's what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWiseOne View Post
    We hadn't blocked the IRC ports in our Dallas location for a 8 month period. Once we blocked IRC the amount of DoS attacks we received dropped *significantly*.

We actually have never allowed IRC on our network, but the one time we had a major DDOS on our network, sure enough, someone was illegally running IRC on their VPS.

A DDOS doesn't just affect the client, it brought down our whole network for more than an hour. It is much more harmful to business than you may realize, Nemokrad.

That usually breaks your ISPs ToS, your internet privileges could be suspended.

Quote Originally Posted by devonblzx View Post
    A DDOS doesn't just affect the client, it brought down our whole network for more than an hour. It is much more harmful to business than you may realize, Nemokrad.
    IRC isn't harmful, nor did it bring down your network. Did IRC cause your DDoS? No, your client did.

Do you ban email because of spamming? You only ban IRC because it is easy. ANY service can be misused.

It wasn't misused, they were just running an IRC daemon. That isn't the problem, the problem is that IRC attracts DDOS's, our client didn't have to do anything to cause it.

It would be much different if our client were sending DDOS's which is what you are relating it to. To provide a proper comparison, to combat spam on incoming emails, you use spam blocking software, to combat large DDOS's you need a hardware solution which is much more expensive. So rather than charging clients who don't need the intensive DDOS protection we choose to not allow IRC at all and we have not had any DDOS issues since.

There are hosts out there that have DDOS mitigation and allow IRC, but of course they are going to be more costly.

IRC did cause the DDOS, the client did not, I think you need to get your facts straight about DDOS's and IRC. A DDOS is an attack, it is not done by any of the VPS hoster's clients, it is done by other users who are trying to attack the VPS client. They don't necessarily have to be doing anything but running an IRC daemon to bring on the attack. IRC is the biggest attraction of DDOS attacks, this is something you have to understand and incorporate into your budget.

What are you talking about? IRC does not cause the DDoS. A DDoS botnet owner does not say hmm look IRC, might as well attack it. To say that IRC itself attracts the attack and not the users doesn't even make sense. Try thinking it through again.

We, VPS hosters, don't just block IRC for no good reason. IRC does in fact cause the DDoS attack by attracting the DDOS attacker.

It is a well-known fact that DDOS attacks originate from IRC related activities, and to argue otherwise isn't going to get you anywhere.

Sure there are legitimate IRC users, but there also alot of abusive users who ruin it for the rest, arguing your point isn't going to change anything because many hosts have all ready been affected by the abusive IRC users, and it usually isn't caused by anything the client has done except for the client running an IRCd.

Hosts are not going to risk their reputation and uptime for a user running IRC. If the host has DDOS mitigation, it is different, but that also brings up the cost of hosting which will make it harder for your budget. Raise your budget and look into hosts at places such as Gigeservers which uses proxysheild if you want to find a good IRC solution.

I suggest you look into threads about Virpus's latest attacks if you want to see the harmful affects of DDOSing on a network. So I ask you, why would anyone want to risk their network for $10/month?