Which server is better?

I currently have an option between 2 servers.

1. AMD Athlon 3800 with 2GB and 2000GB RAM, 100 Mbps port speed, 160GB space, and an SCSI drive controller.

2. I was thinking of ordering a 2.8 Ghz Pentium 4 with 2GB RAM, 100 Mbps port speed and 2000GB bandwidth, and 160GB space. It's my choice of which drive controller I want between SCSI and SATA (plz tell me which is better)

Which one is a better server to have (they both cost the exact same for me, so price is no matter in this case). Should I go with the Athlon or order the Pentium 4?

thanks for the help!

Athlon is faster .

If you want to verify it yourself:
    http://cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php
    http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_20...=912&chart=434
    http://www.freewebspace.net/forums/s....php?t=2175681

http://www.google.com/search?officia...=Google+zoeken
    A lot of the google results show the AMD 3800+ vs the Pentium D (single vs Dual core) so skip those.

SCSI drive is faster and better SATA drives, so I would go with AMD server.
    Tommy Tran - tommy @ vinax.net ::: VINAX, LLC ::: http://vinax.net ::: Since 2004
    Premium Dedicated Servers and Colocation in downtown Chicago (350 E. Cermak Rd)
    Premium Bandwidth, 100% Network & Power Uptime SLA, 24/7 Prompt Tech Support

I would go with the AMD. I remember in the past it was the Athlon vs P4 and the P4 would always lose due to the lower FSB rates.
    Rageki Web Hosting Solutions - Canada & United States Web Hosting
    DirectAdmin & cPanel Control Panels
    99% Uptime!
    30 Day Money Back Guaranteed!

ahhh.. i was mistaken... the AMD has only 1 GB RAM and the Pentium has 2GB ram. all other specs aside from the drive controller are the same.

1. soo AMD Athlon 3800 with 1GB RAM, 2000GB bandwidth 100 Mbps port speed, 160GB space, and an SCSI drive controller.

2. and...2.8 Ghz Pentium 4 with 2GB RAM, 100 Mbps port speed and 2000GB bandwidth, and 160GB space and a choice between SATA and SCSI

If you use more ram than CPU: Pentium 4
    If you use more CPU than RAM: Athlon

I'm a Intel fan, and I do not use AMD unless I have to, I would choose P4, though its a personal choice, and it has the extra GB of ram, which is a bonus, so, if I was a AMD fan, I'd still choose the P4 because of the extra RAM.

Also, choose SCSI controller, it is better then the SATA one.

Oh, does the P4 have HT? If it does, P4 would be a better choice imo, if it does not, choose the AMD chip

HyperThreading is a joke, it provides a marginal benefit to a handful of programs and actually decreases the performance of others.

I would go with the P4 with the extra gig of RAM and a SCSI drive.

By the way, I would checkout what "160GB Space with a SCSI controller" actually means. SCSI drives are made in 36GB, 73GB, and 146GB capacities.

I love intel..I will go with the 2.8 Ghz Pentium 4 with 2GB RAM if I were you. I hardly use AMD.

AMD 3800: HyperTransport (2.0GHZ)
    Integrated DDR/2 Controller
    Much cooler than any P4 processor

Intel P4: Hot, Sweaty and it looks bad/performance even worse.
    Next-Generation Game Servers- www.NextGenServers.com - Play On. Fast, Reliable, Low ping, No Lag, full support servers. Providing Professional, Low Cost, but effective services to gamers like you. Providing the nextgen of gaming services.

I would ignore any recommendations based on personal preferences. You should look for the best tool for the job.

Like Rob said, go with the AMD if you don't need more than 1GB RAM (as it is definitely the faster CPU), but otherwise go with the Intel.
    ASTUTE HOSTING: Advanced, customized, and scalable solutions with AS54527 Premium Canadian Optimized Network (Level3, PEER1, Shaw, Tinet)
    MicroServers.io: Enterprise Dedicated Hardware with IPMI at VPS-like Prices using AS63213 Affordable Bandwidth (Cogent, HE, Tinet)
    Dedicated Hosting, Colo, Bandwidth, and Fiber out of Vancouver, Seattle, LA, Toronto, NYC, and Miami

Intel is better for me. But first of all answer yourself how the server will be used. Are you planing any RAID solutions on it etc. Those things are important.
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
    >>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.

Quote Originally Posted by hhw View Post
    I would ignore any recommendations based on personal preferences. You should look for the best tool for the job.

Like Rob said, go with the AMD if you don't need more than 1GB RAM (as it is definitely the faster CPU), but otherwise go with the Intel.

So, could you post a screenshot or logs of your CPU & Memory usage?
    Last edited by Robert vd Boorn; 02-18-2008 at 06:48 AM.

I would go with 2GB RAM and SCSI
    WebHosting.com.bd - Web Hosting Bangladesh
    Limited Sites Per Server | cPanel | RVSiteBuilder PRO | Rapid Support | Pay-As-You-Go Reseller
    DomainDokan.com - Domain Registration Bangladesh
    Real-time Registration | Online Control Panel | Rapid Support | Turn-key Reseller

I'm not sure why people are making recommendations soley based on brand alone. CPU performance varies from model to model - no single BRAND is better. Furthermore, the OP isn't asking which CPU is better, but which server offers the best overall performance.

CPU wars are definitely a heated debate. If you want to compare the facts, I would say look at the benchmarks on this site: http://www.tomshardware.com/us/
    Fast SSD Dedicated Servers || 24/7 365 Support || Money-Back Guarantee
    Dedicated Servers || Colocation || IP Transit
    Need to get in touch? Drop us an email at info[at]quadix.co

The P4 is definitly slower than the AMD CPU and produces more temperature. But: what do you need? a faster CPU or more RAM? SCSI Harddisks are more reliable than the S-ATA Drives, which are often Desktopdrives and not really serverhardware. You should decide what package you need as a tool to do the job. Not onlay between the CPU.

kind regards,
    Daniel