hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : Web Hosting Lounge : Why "We"?

Forum Jump

Why "We"?

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Lounge Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2008, 12:07 PM
Web Hosting Evangelist

Why "We"?

As I browse the web I often find myself on small business web sites. Sites I know are operated by single individuals that operate under an alias name. I for the most part, am one of these. Yes, from time to time I do hire additional contract help but for the most part it is just me. When you call, it's me that answers the phone. When you email, it's me that responds. When you submit a support ticket, that support agent is me. So my question is, why is it "we" when it should be "me".

As you browse through my site at *my*domain*name*here*, you'll see those "we"(s), and "we're"(s), and "we'll"(s). Is it to portray a larger, more corporate appearance? Does it sound better? Am I just being optimistic that my company will grow into a "we"?

I debated while adding content to the site, I really did think about. In the end, I honestly just thought it sounded better. Maybe if my company name was "Mike's Computer Repair" I would have just used "I" and "me" everywhere but it just didn't sound right for "*my*company*name*here*". Sometimes I think maybe I should revert. Having been in some type of customer service business my entire adult life, I've learned one thing; People want to deal with a person, the same person they dealt with last time. Of course that depends on the experience they had with that person. When you take your car to the dealer for repair, don't you always ask for the same service writer? He knows you, he knows your car, and you've grown comfortable with him and feel he can be trusted.

For now I'll leave things as they are but when you contact *my*company*name*here*, you'll get "me".

(The preceeding is based on a true story, only the names have been changed to protect the innocent ; )

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2008, 12:57 PM
Retired Moderator

The majority of people (and certainly businesses) prefer the idea that the people looking after a service for them are a nice big stable company, not some bloke sitting in his bedroom. Saying "me" or "I" on your site is a bit of a give away on this and will put off a good chunk of people.

A big thing in business is to make yourself look bigger and better than you actually are.

Old 02-17-2008, 01:06 PM
Currently in Beta

I think its a general word from marketing, non specific to hosting. As Steve says, the mantra is always bigger is better (excuse the pun).

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2008, 01:40 PM
Web Hosting Master

Me, Myself, and I = We

We have close to 30 employees, dont think I could get away with using "me or I".

Old 02-17-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webdude View Post
Me, Myself, and I = We

We have close to 30 employees, dont think I could get away with using "me or I".
Same here anything above 2 should be considered we IMO. If they employee people for live chat and to run servers then they are technically a "we".

Also the fact that people are more secure in the knowledge that there are more then one person working helps a lot.

Old 02-17-2008, 03:56 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

I agree 2 or above should be 'We', I have a few working with me on a new hosting company and we say 'We'

Old 02-17-2008, 05:02 PM
Web Hosting Master

im just the opposite. we are a we, but i say me. thats because in my world, everything is about me!!

Old 02-18-2008, 07:02 PM
Web Hosting Master

It depends on your niche. I think that a lot of individual customers want to do business with someone large enough to be professional yet small enough to offer personal service.

It also depends on the business. The barbershop I go to is named after the owner, and no one expects it to be a sprawling corporation. It's just two people cutting hair. On the other hand, the mechanic I take my car to is a little bigger: 5 people plus the owner. It's appropriate that the place has a name that isn't the owner's.

Now, back to your question: if the barber says we, I know he means himself and the other cutter. If the mechanic does, I know it means that one of the mechanics is working on the car, but I don't need to care which one.

If you're a web host, and if you're working for individual customers, I think you can go either way. Your customers might want to know that you, personally, are handling all their support. If you're good, you will earn their personal loyalty. Conversely, if you're trying to grow, you might want to introduce the "we" idea from the beginning, so they won't get disillusioned and say, "well, in the old days, Squorpeeon offered personal service, and now he's got some other people working for him that aren't as good."

Old 02-19-2008, 06:45 PM
I am Taranis God of the Wheel

Heh
It's just correct english, social = me, business = we, just think whats behind any business:
Me the manager, me the owner, me the salesman, me the 'gofa' me the accountant, my bank manager, my tax man, my insurance man, etc.

Now if your not dealing with businesses thats another story, but business to business is 'WE', in the 3rd person.

Thats what we say & I agree with us.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:13 AM

We conveys a much more professional atmosphere, and I conveys a personal touch. People want a more professional web host, resultig in the use of we.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:42 PM
Community Guide

We would convey the entity of the company, as I would convey a single entity running a company as a sole proprietor.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:20 PM
Invented the Internet

I just cringe when I read "We at (company name) believe that..."

Because I guarantee that not everyone at the company cares as much as the person writing that sentence.

--Tina

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
International Skype Traffic Grew 44 Percent in 2012: TeleGeography Report Web Hosting News 2013-02-13 14:27:20
WHIR Event Scottsdale - The Return to the Desert Blog 2012-09-17 12:40:57