Domain Not 'quite' Responding

I purchased a VPS and a domain on Thursday.

Domain was from 1and1, sent the domain to use my VPS as name servers which worked, as shown in my Whois.

There is a domain holder file on the VPS which should be accessible. However I cannot get there unless I use a proxy. I did a check of the domain on HostTracker and got 2 Succeded and 36 failed checks.

What would be causing this? Is it simply because I recently changed the DNS settings and it takes a while for it to fully work?

Yes, probably pending propagation. Try using nslookup or host to test against another nameserver.

nslookup domain.tld 4.2.2.1 #windows
    host domain.tld 72.249.164.11 #linux

Note, you can also try some other DNS servers.
    ██ HermeTek Network Solutions
    ██ Network design, security, and implementation
    ██ BSD & Linux consulting, training, and hosting
    ██ https://www.hermetek.com | 1.866.235.1288

If it works through a proxy then it's pretty much you or anyone else that cached the entry who can't see it.

Sorry didn't really understand either of those replies.

Also I have a sub domain with Plesk set up for a blog on it with and got Wordpress successfully installed and can access that fine, but not the main domain.

Basically it's all working. If you can use a proxy for it, you're just waiting on DNS caches to expire and for the new DNS entries to propagate.
    ██ HermeTek Network Solutions
    ██ Network design, security, and implementation
    ██ BSD & Linux consulting, training, and hosting
    ██ https://www.hermetek.com | 1.866.235.1288

Quote Originally Posted by hermetek View Post
    Basically it's all working. If you can use a proxy for it, you're just waiting on DNS caches to expire and for the new DNS entries to propagate.
    Alright thank you, that's basically what I originally thought, just needs more time to update but wasn't sure and wanted to check.

Is there any amount of time that usually takes?

Typically 24-72 hours depending on your ISP. My ISP at home, RCN, takes a long time to update their DNS caches. I currently use OpenDNS instead. Basically what you do is change your DNS Resolvers from your ISP's to theirs, so your DNS updates instantly - because they dont cache the records like my ISP does. Their site is http://opendns.com - check them out.

Alright thanks everyone

Not a problem, glad everything worked out!