Thread: Web-Hosting?

Unhappy Web-Hosting?

Hey, I'm kinda new to all this...

Not really sure what packages,web-host thingy.
    Needs to come with a domain, and Pay yearly.~

Also looking to make abit of $$. By ads or somethink?
    I plan to host forums or a site or somethink.

Sorry if you dont understand. im new to this.

Try the WHT wiki on hosting. It's a good place to start finding some answers.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/wiki/

First I would decide what you actually want to host.

Many hosts take yearly payments, check out the offers section.

The only way you could make money with ads would be to use google adwords, or a similar service.
    MK Hosting - Reliable Affordable UK Hosting Since 2005
    www.mkhosting.co.uk
    Shared Hosting - Reseller hosting - Dedicated Servers - VPS - Colocation - IT Services

First, you need a domain name. Be sure to find a suitable one.
    Then, go to some reliable and cheap registrar (I usually recomend Godaddy.com) and buy it. I suggest to pay for 2 years.
    You need to choose hosting But wait - if you want to earn some $, you should invest. Invest your time: read WHT. Soon you will find hosts to avoid (many many negative reviews; more negative, than positive reviews; very contravesial reviews: 50 'very bad', 50 'super cool') and host to think about (many positive reviews or positive reviews prievail).
    Think about resources and do not be greedy If you gonna host forum - find similiar forums, get information anout how many disk space and bandweith they use. OR you may even ask there. Or google. In other words - find that info. When you know your resources - time to think about money.
    Do not be greedy and remember: you get whay you pay for.. Normally you should expect at least 5-10$ (prices may vary). All "pay 100$, host for life", 1 dollar hosting" and other stuff is highly avoidable.
    At this step, you should have: both domain name, knowledge on resources and budget.
    Make a list of hosts that are reputable here, on WHT (you won't find better resource). Then, go for asking. Email them, go for live chat, ask their representatives here, at WHT. As anything that may be related to your business.
    This is the crucial period: you are testing them, how do they treat their customer. If there is anything wrong - stay away.
    After you google, search WHT, ask lots of questions - you should find your host. I always reccomend 2 hosts I had experience with, but you will find them on almost any of my posts.

Payment for a year - it's my favourite option. All hosts should allow this and in most cases you get some discount.

Ads? Sorry, not a pro in this field. You may try Google Adwords, it should be simple.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by JuggsY View Post
    Hey, I'm kinda new to all this...

Not really sure what packages,web-host thingy.
    Needs to come with a domain, and Pay yearly.~

Also looking to make abit of $$. By ads or somethink?
    I plan to host forums or a site or somethink.

Sorry if you dont understand. im new to this.

For a domain ,you don't worry about that ,here we have lot of registrars. Find any of them .
    Godaddy, Enome are two good registrars

Hosting companies have some plans, shared, reseller, dedicated etc..
    I think you also wish to make some money, but its not easy one

Your success in this field only depends on your host (service provider ) so carefully
    select a good host. Find couple of providers and try to chat with them, share your ideas, clear you doubts . If you are satisfied, you can select them , I don't like to say anyones name here
    There is no companies for cheating customers.

Quote Originally Posted by MKHosting View Post
    First I would decide what you actually want to host.

Many hosts take yearly payments, check out the offers section.

The only way you could make money with ads would be to use google adwords, or a similar service.
    Well, I want to host some decent forums.

Oh, I was thinking about having somethink like this forums
    Advertisement's.

You can place banner ads on your site in return for a monthly fee sort of like this site does. But to get people to pay pay for them you would need to develop a community to get advertisers to want to have ads on your forums.

Another way to make money is reseller packages, where you can reseller hosting to friends or people you know that could come to you for hosting.

Have a good look round here, you should find all the information you need.
    Data Republic - UK Managed Servers - Server Management - Managed Backup/R1Soft
    Follow us on Twitter to get exclusive sales & updates.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

Welcome to the hosting world! You need to figure out a good domain name, which matches what your site is all about, then register that with some registrar like those mentioned above - OK, then find a *good* web hosting company to host your website.

There are thousands to choose from, and I advise you to start with a shared hosting plan for around $5-10 per month. You can upgrade later as needed. Just make sure you get a company which provides good service and doesn't rip you off.
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

PS : No matter how small your site is never go with GoDaddy. I had to mention this because a user actually recommended GoDaddy hosting which is one of the worst hosting providers online now.

Hows that? Personally i think GoDaddy is great

Quote Originally Posted by stashhh View Post
    PS : No matter how small your site is never go with GoDaddy. I had to mention this because a user actually recommended GoDaddy hosting which is one of the worst hosting providers online now.
    Have you ever used GoDaddy? If so, could you provide the domain you hosted with them?

You can't just make a judgment on a host you've never used. And, it is against WHT rules to even talk (one way or the other) about a host that you don't use, but are acquainted with. Just based on your response, I would guess you're merely relying on hearsay, and not actual experience with GoDaddy.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

@stealthyone
    Too much "free" on that page, you're over optimizing it and you might trigger some SE algorithm alerts.

@ontopic
    before considering forum and ad types think of how are you going to attract traffic to your website.

If your site is still under construction, and you want some hosting to test your site, you can even go with a free hosting plan (freewebspace.net/forums/). And when your site has some users, you can switch to a reliable shared plan easily.

Quote Originally Posted by stashhh View Post
    Is it really?!

I thought they are one of the great big webhosting sites around.

I suggest to go for *****HOSTING which is INDIA'S top 3 company.It has lot of good packages with very cheaper price.

Quote Originally Posted by john8 View Post
    If your site is still under construction, and you want some hosting to test your site, you can even go with a free hosting plan (freewebspace.net/forums/). And when your site has some users, you can switch to a reliable shared plan easily.
    Don't forget iNet's own site here: freewht.com.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com