A request for VPS... maybe you can help.

I currently have a resellers account with a great provider and have never had any issues with them. However recently my server has slowed which is somewhat annoying and I feel its time for me to move on and try bigger and better things. I am a small time web designer that hosts only sites I am currently working on and a personal site for each of two brothers, as well as a recently started hobby related Vbulletin (currently it only has 10 members and has only been online less than 1 week.) Currently all sites combined produce less than 2gb of traffic per month and am only wishing to move to have more ram available for my vbulletin as Jelsoft recommends no less than 512mb.

Anyway enough rambling here is what I request:

512mb ram burstable to 1024mb
    5-10gb of disk space
    50 - 75gb or bandwidth
    2 IP addresses for name servers
    cpanel/whm
    managed

Obviously I want them to be reputable and am willing to pay 25 - 40 US dollars a month.

Please reply here with recommendations.
    Last edited by bear; 02-19-2008 at 09:36 PM. Reason: by request

Personally I have a VPS with JaguarPC right now and it has been rock solid for the few months that I have been with them. Customer support is great, and went as far as helping my get one of my own applications (teamspeak) up and running that I was having trouble with.

They have a fairly large following here on the boards, and other than a power failure at the datacenter about a month ago, which they got me back online in just a few hours, they haven't skipped a beat.

My only personal downside I have right now is the fact that their datacenter is located in Atlanta and I am in Houston. I saw on JaguarPC's website that they are a texas based company, and made the assumption their DC was in Texas as well. I didn't find out they were in Atlanta until after I signed up. Comcast Cable can't seem to take me to my server without first traveling to Chicago, Atlanta, Los Angelas and back to Atlanta, so my traceroute looks like crap. That is not a bad thing for Jag, but it is a bad thing for me.

Jaguar PC did offer to switch me to their Houston DC on request, but the traceroute in and out of there looks no better and it's only 20 miles up the road!

I guess my long winded reply would be best summed up by saying, check your traceroute and ping to any server you plan to do business with, and make sure it's not your ISP causing you slow connections! My poor command prompt gets wore slap out these days when looking for a new dedicated box myself!
    Robert Vining
    Roberts Web Design

bad thing about Jaguar as it looks good is the price is outside my range. In order to get 512mb from them I have to pay 19.95 per month plus $30 per month to upgrade to amount of ram I need. That would be nearly $50 per month.

Any more recommendations?

I have seen that VPSLand offers a plan with in my price range. Does anyone have anything good to day about them?

I also see that knownhost offers a plan for $20 + 17.50 for ram + 7 for cpanel/whm. Grand total 44.50

ok it belongs what you exactly mean with fully managed.
    knownhost has a very good reputation.

good point I'll edit the first post... and knowledgehost is pretty much at the top of the list right now.

Well that sucks, I can't edit it now... I guess its a timed edit on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by JLink View Post
    Well that sucks, I can't edit it now... I guess its a timed edit on this board.
    Simply use the Report button.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

thanks for the tip SoftWareRevue

JLink,

Have you checked out the offers forum recently?

What I'm seeing in your request is, you're trying to increase the RAM while keeping the price low, by lowering space and bandwidth. cPanel can take up almost 5GB of Space alone. RAM and Space/Bandwidth are like apples and oranges. RAM is far more sparse with cPanel because it's so RAM intensive. You might be able to find something, but I'm not too sure.

I have no knowledge of actually running a server and I am glad your sharing this information with me. But why does a webscript ie cpanel take 5gb of space? I mean thats more space than most Linux Operating systems.

cPanel alone is worth $10 to $15 / month so I doubt you'll find something decent under $75.

Decided to go with Knownhost.com and their VPS- LTX account and added CPanel/WHM for $5 and 256MB Ram for $12.50 for a total of $47.50 per montn. The first two months are 50% off.

Sounds pretty good. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for those that actually helped...

Quote Originally Posted by JLink View Post
    I currently have a resellers account with a great provider and have never had any issues with them. However recently my server has slowed which is somewhat annoying and I feel its time for me to move on and try bigger and better things. I am a small time web designer that hosts only sites I am currently working on and a personal site for each of two brothers, as well as a recently started hobby related Vbulletin (currently it only has 10 members and has only been online less than 1 week.) Currently all sites combined produce less than 2gb of traffic per month and am only wishing to move to have more ram available for my vbulletin as Jelsoft recommends no less than 512mb.

Anyway enough rambling here is what I request:

512mb ram burstable to 1024mb
    5-10gb of disk space
    50 - 75gb or bandwidth
    2 IP addresses for name servers
    cpanel/whm
    fully managed

Obviously I want them to be reputable and am willing to pay 25 - 40 US dollars a month.

Please reply here with recommendations.
    If you haven't had a problem with them, why not just upgrade with them? Might be an easier upgrade path.
    Kaumil P.