Question 2 VPS move to 1 new VPS = DNS puzzle

Hi,

A chicken or egg type of problem with potential to escalate into an egg on the face problem.

I have two VPS accounts with PowerVPS, which we need to move to one new VPS account. Problem is I'm not sure how to handle the DNS move or settings to minimise downtime.

Currently the DNS is spread over the two VPS accounts. How do we keep the same DNS names and move to one new VPS without dramas?

PS. Before you say "ask PowerVPS", they don't support DNS config on two VPS accounts.

Simple solution

1. Move your website from one server to another and make sure all your domains are migrated correctly to the target server
    2. Bring down the Ip's in the second server (from which the accounts were migrated) and bring it up in the new server. PowerVPS support can do this in 5 min.

You will need to pay for the additional IP's i beleive . If you do not want to retain additional IP's for long you can just change the name servers for all the domains to that of the target server and delete the excess IP's once dns propagation is completed
    Sam
    Supportlobby.com - Expertise in Windows/Linux server support, IaaS and PaaS Management
    Spiralbean.com - Custom Software Development
    Email: exec @ activelobby.net | Skype: unni_active

Quote Originally Posted by activelobby4u View Post
    Simple solution

1. Move your website from one server to another and make sure all your domains are migrated correctly to the target server
    2. Bring down the Ip's in the second server (from which the accounts were migrated) and bring it up in the new server. PowerVPS support can do this in 5 min.

You will need to pay for the additional IP's i beleive . If you do not want to retain additional IP's for long you can just change the name servers for all the domains to that of the target server and delete the excess IP's once dns propagation is completed
    Hi activelobby4u,

The new server will come with a whole bunch of new IPs, but I still have the problem of the time it will take to move and check 60 or so hosting accounts from two VPservers to the third.

The key question I suppose is at what stage should we setup the two DNS names on the new (3rd) server, and what happens to emails etc during the move process.

If we did not have to move the Name Server location it would not be so puzzling.

Thanks

Since you are going with a new third server , you can bring the old IP's from the old servers in the new VPS ( ofcourse if the third VPS is with powerVPS).

So the steps involved would be

1. Migrate the domains
    2. Change the A records in the old servers to point to the new server
    3. Change the name servers for the domains to that of the new server
    4. resync the files (databases and mails)

Its important that you inform your customers that a migration is due and they should not update their domains during the migration perdiod
    Sam
    Supportlobby.com - Expertise in Windows/Linux server support, IaaS and PaaS Management

Thanks Sandy,

For number 3, do you mean setup the name servers in the 3rd server and delete them from the 1st and 2nd old servers?

The NS names will not change as there is no way we can ask each client to change their DNS info for each of their domains.

Thanks
    PS. We're looking to move from PowerVPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    Thanks Sandy,

For number 3, do you mean setup the name servers in the 3rd server and delete them from the 1st and 2nd old servers?
    Yup i meant that . But in this case you can just change the IP's of the name servers to the new one. This involves a delay, but it should be alright
    Sam

Thanks for your help.