StartLogic ( STAY AWAY!!! )

I'm sure many of you know of StartLogic and what kind of company they are... well I had to learn the hard way. I have been a costumer of there's for about 2 weeks now and lets just say those 2 weeks have been a nightmare... my site was shut down 3 times during that time and I had to stay on the phone for like 3-4 hours each time to get in touch with there damn costumer service. Talk about OVERSELL... Here is the mail header " Cosuming High Bandwidth " they so say offer you 1500GB and 15000GB bandwith? Yeah right... more like 10GB and no more then 100GB bandwith... Each time I tell them that I'm no where near the bandwith they offer and say that I have some illegal stuff on the server... what I have on the server is breakbeats which is mixes by dj's who do those mixes in like there hours and that music is no where near copyright and its shared all over the net for free... Anyways the other thing they said that I'm not allowed to post that data on my site for other " visitors " then how the hell I'm I suppose to use the so called 15000GB of bandwith they give you? Upload stuff and download them yourself?

STAY AWAY...

Good Luck, Starlogic seem to be great.. Don't what happend here!

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us.

We have noticed that you are consuming high bandwidth. This is overloading our network traffic. So we have suspended the website. Please resolve the issue as soon as possible so that we can remove the suspension.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to contact us. We are available 24x7.
    http://img175.imageshack.us/my.php?i...3761858ye0.jpg

Hi
    I have heard about Hostgator and also their service. I think they are massive overseller.
    If they will give you 1500GB and 15000GB bandwith, you can't use their offer, that means you will not have the 1500GB and 15000GB bandwith for your use.

They will not allow this fecility . Many people sign up with them , looking for high bandwidth and space,like you. Same way all of them trying to acess this fecility , finally the server going to down So they will publish a statement "Cosuming High Bandwidth " .This is same as the cases of all overseller.

I'm currently trying to "escape" from StartLogic too. I got through to support relatively unscathed, only for the tech guy to say to me "I don't know what else to tell you", in regards to a minor password issue.

Needless to say I'm extra cautious about choosing my new host provider.
    This is Edna Legume, signing off.
    Help! I'm web stupid.

I read on Joomla's forum that StartLogic charges $12.95 to autoinstall Joomla for their clients. Seriously??

The issue is likely the CPU load, not the bandwidth. It is kind of stupid of them to talk about b/w when they offer such enormous amounts! The type of files you mention will probably cause high CPU load, which no host will accept on a cheap shared account.
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Well even if I was to upload 100GB of wallpapers I'm sure the same thing will happened....

Quote Originally Posted by n00bstorm View Post
    Well even if I was to upload 100GB of wallpapers I'm sure the same thing will happened....
    If you are seriously wanting to use that much space then you should probably consider a Dedicated server or a large VPS.

If you really want shared hosting, check out HostGator or DreamHost. They do have CPU limits, but they should let you use the space you need as long as it is legit (legal) content.

I have a VPS and also a 2nd FTP server and I was running out of space that's why I decided to give them a try to only find out how wrong I was... Thanks for the info.

Account suspended once again... berly get 300GB a month of traffic... and they complain of me using too much bandwidth of the ( " 15,000GB " )... what a JOKE!
    Last edited by n00bstorm; 02-21-2008 at 04:57 PM.

Was on the phone for 3 hours, to only be told that a ticket will be submited about my problem and they will get back to be in 24 hours... during that time my site would be DOWN once again...

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Salter View Post
    If you are seriously wanting to use that much space then you should probably consider a Dedicated server or a large VPS.

If you really want shared hosting, check out HostGator or DreamHost. They do have CPU limits, but they should let you use the space you need as long as it is legit (legal) content.
    HostGator does have a inode limit which will limit the total of files you are allowed to publish. With loose wallpaper files this limit will be reached fairly quickly. (did some research and found that users which used 2gb of diskspace either came close to 50.000 inodes or to go beyond it quite far). note that is is very much depending on what you publish, a lot of small files will add faster as 1 large file.

Dreamhost does have some other rules on the content, i didnt see any reference to inodes in their TOS though, but they are talking more about content which should be for hosting not for backup or archiving.

In either case, always contact the HOST and ask them about your needs and if you can or can not use the full capacity, with detailed information about what you are going to do.

The best way to go is a good VPS or Dedicated server if you need that much of resources. But not everyone can afford that.