Looking for recommendations for a good VPS provider

Hello,

I'm currently developing a stock photo website and I'm looking into VPS providers. I don't know how big it's going to be or how successful it will be, but I think in the beginning it will be safer to go for VPS then to go straight for a dedicated server. Plus the fact VPS is cheaper. My budget to begin with is around $50 per month.

With the nature of my site I am expecting to be having a lot of photos uploaded and hopefully downloaded when people buy them! So I will be needing a decent amount of diskspace and bandwidth, and uptime & a reliable service etc are vital.

Can anyone recommend a good provider for something like this?

Also, I've only ever used shared hosting before, is VPS a lot more complicated?

Thanks for any feedback,
    Mark

Managed, or unmanaged? ServerAxis is a great and reliable VPS, but they only offer basic management. Lots of disk space for the money however.

Downtime is rare with them, but you do get an email explaining if the server goes down at all. Usually for maintenance or an upgrade.

I have been with them since May of 2006 and highly recommend them.
    WarPigW2-Old site for game I used to play, and other things along the way
    TutorialMasters - Tutorials Designed for You

Thanks for your reply. You'll have to excuse my ignorance only I'm not sure of the differences between managed and unmanaged. I assume though, for my purposes it'd probably be better for me to go with a managed package because if anything were to go wrong I'd be clueless!

I'll have a look at the one you suggested, sounds good.

I use futurehosting.biz. Been there for a year and never had any major problems. Tickets are answered within an hour. They offer both managed and unmanaged VPS.

I think www.fluidvps.com is the best on this case

I can highly recommend WiredTree. They are fully managed, and will happily talk you through just about anything, or take care of it for you. Their intro VPS might be a little short on RAM for what you need though, depending on how many users you have.

I recommend http://servint.net

Thanks for all your recommendations. I'll have a look at them. I've actually been reading quite a bit about Wired Tree as a lot of people seem to rave about them. They're a bit more expensive, but if the service is all it's cracked up to be then it's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Amy View Post
    Thanks for all your recommendations. I'll have a look at them. I've actually been reading quite a bit about Wired Tree as a lot of people seem to rave about them. They're a bit more expensive, but if the service is all it's cracked up to be then it's worth it.
    That was my thoughts in the beginning also, they were slightly more than my requirements in terms of space, bandwidth and price however i was sick of issues with previous hosts and downtime and wanted something reliable. So i figured i'd monetize my site better to cover the gap.

Smart move, WiredTree have been simply awesome. I've got fast reliable hardware, room to grow and i know support is minutes away if something goes wrong.

Recently i crashed my VPS (incorrectly) trying to install eAccellerator, by the time i composed a ticket their monitoring had picked up the fault and they were fixing my invalid config and bringing it online by the time i hit submit.

They have a promotion running at the moment too, 10% off each months bill for the life of the account plus extra RAM see here

That will save you some money.

Liquidweb is my choice, one of the best customer support...

I've sent Wired Tree a message with all the details about my site, circumstances and requirements etc. to see what they can do for me. Their special offers at the moment look good too so it's looking like I'll be going in that direction.

1Boss1, your comments really make me think that is the way to go too

Just signed up for a VPS at Futurehosting.biz earlier this week.

Two words - Simply Awesome!.

The reason I went with them was their responses were honest, VERY quick (within 15 minutes), and personable; which all three of those are very important in my opinion.

I signed up for a Managed cPanel Elite VPS plan but decided to upgrade to a Cpanel Hybrid VPS (Silver) with Pro-Active monitoring since I want to avoid having to migrate later. They are in the process of setting up my Hybrid account now, so I'll post more later. Most VPS operators are very vague with details when asked, but they have answered all of my questions quickly.

Just my 2 cents, but worth checking out.

Tim

I've been with futurehosting.biz (Platinum managed) for several months, am extremely happy with everything. Support staff answer and resolve things very quickly, their prices are competitive, and my websites run fast.

I recomend www.powervps.com thier support is top notch.
    QUALITY ONE DESIGNS LLC.
    Providing Businesses with a better solution
    www.qualityonedesigns.com

So many! I'll check out futurehosting...haven't looked at them, but they sound good.

A fast website is critical for me. People will be uploading, downloading and viewing photos online so I want it to run as fast and smoothly as possible.

Remember, they have three different datacenters. Traceroute & ping each to find out which is the fastest to your (and your clients) area.

Good luck Mark_Amy!

Yeah, that's the thing with my site. I'm based in China, my photographers are in China, but my target market is Europe and the US, so the host I use has got to be based either in Europe or the US...preferably the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Amy View Post
    I've sent Wired Tree a message with all the details about my site, circumstances and requirements etc. to see what they can do for me. Their special offers at the moment look good too so it's looking like I'll be going in that direction.

1Boss1, your comments really make me think that is the way to go too
    Yes you will be very happy with the quality, their promotional offer is a good one considering it's 10% off the whole life of the account plus extra RAM.

If you want the URL of one of my sites to check the speed etc just send me a PM. I don't have a picture upload/download site but i can send a vBulletin forum which you can upload/download attachments etc and gauge things.

I'm on the 512 VPS.

I believe WiredTree would be a good fit for you. I had a VPS with them and everything worked smoothly.

I recommend it http://www.jaguarpc.com , I had a VPS with them and they have excellent support team.