Help - need your advice plz - new to web hosting

Hi frens..

I'm on the process of building a web site for my org. I have a serious problem for choosing on what kind hosting i should use..

My req are:
    - There will be 500-700 registered users, each with a email account
    - So i suppose 250-300 GB of dick space would be req.
    - The site is built on ASP.NET

Now i'm confused whether to go for a VPS, Shared or dedicated server.
    I have been reading through many of the posts, but still wanted to get your opinions here..
    Can u people also suggest me some reliable org or service providers?

Quote Originally Posted by karthik0415 View Post
    Hi frens..

I'm on the process of building a web site for my org. I have a serious problem for choosing on what kind hosting i should use..

My req are:
    - There will be 500-700 registered users, each with a email account
    - So i suppose 250-300 GB of dick space would be req.
    - The site is built on ASP.NET

Now i'm confused whether to go for a VPS, Shared or dedicated server.
    I have been reading through many of the posts, but still wanted to get your opinions here..
    Can u people also suggest me some reliable org or service providers?

I think a site such as this will certainly need a dedicated server , however if you got a VPS on a powerful enough box you could go that route however , it is my belief that a dedicated box would be your best bet.
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Email/MSN [email protected]
    Ceridius Networks - Reseller of Hivelocity Hosting
    Network Speed Test

It sounds like you'll want to get a managed server or hire some admin/staff to help you, because a dedicated server is a whole other world in what you need to know to ensure it remains stable, secure and compatable with your scripts, etc.

Well I guess that would depend on weather or not he knows how to manage the server himself.
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Email/MSN [email protected]
    Ceridius Networks - Reseller of Hivelocity Hosting
    Network Speed Test

Well, of course. However, it's not unreasonable to assume by the OP's post that they don't.

thanks for the response...

I can ask a expert to take care of the server... But what i realy want to know is, how much will it cost me to have a dedicated server?? And where to start??

Right, I was simply suggesting that, since you mentioned in the title that you were new to hosting (a lot of people mistakenly try and get by with figuring things out themselves on a dedicated server and is almost always results in that server being the source of attacks), so I'm glad to hear you will seek help.

Honestly, it depends on what sort of support you need, your budget, if you need it managed or not (since you'll be getting an admin to help), your resource peaks, and so on. You might want to check out Theplanet.com and Softlayer.com, in that order (in my view), and if you can afford it, seek a server at Rackspace.com above the other two.

Your admin you hire on for server help might be able to help you with what server would work best. Of course, there are other variables, but a lot of servers out there could work for you just fine (you don't seem to require that much overall). Did you have more details to offer about it, or are you still deciding on if you wanted to even get a dedicated server?