profithost.net, worst host ever.

First, i would like to say i already read here some complains about this "company" but since both problems were solved i took my chances.
    Well, i'm here to confirm this host provides the worst client support i have ever seen, besides until i get the server or a refund they are scammers to me.

the 11 Jan 08 i send 50% (just i precaution to don't loss all the money) of the server rent to [email protected], the server delivery should took 2 days but they never did, there is always an excuse or a lie like "the info was sent" or "will be sent shortly", same with refunds.

So like i said, never buy / rent anything from this host or [email protected] even if they now refund me or i get the server, this "company" (if it isn't just a guy) cannot be trusted at all.

You sent 50%? What the hell? I wouldn't give a customer some hosting because they sent me 50% of what the price is, I would tell them to take their business aswell.

i agreed with the hosting sending 50% before and 50% after the server is delivered. After all you don't loss anything, the customer has more to loss.

Quote Originally Posted by xSau View Post
    i agreed with the hosting sending 50% before and 50% after the server is delivered. After all you don't loss anything, the customer has more to loss.

This is a horrible idea, though I understand why you are saying it. Please understand, equipment costs money, employees cost money, datacenters cost money.

By delivering 50% of the money, you are putting the host in a situation where they have to make YOU completely happy in order for you to pay the remainder. There are situations where clients can be upset about something. After all the initial few days of having a new server can be a bit of a nightmare.

Above all else, what if it turns out that you simply do not have the rest of the money? Is the host just supposed to eat the difference? Is the host just supposed to disable the server, almost surely getting a chargeback in the process?

I personally would be offended if this was proposed to me by a prospective client. It shows a complete lack of trust in the host. If you feel strongly that this is something you need to do, then you probably shouldnt go with that host.

/2cents
    Ryan - Limestone Networks - Client Relations Manager
    Cloud, Dedicated & Enterprise Hosting - Premium Network - DDoS Protection Available
    Dedicated Servers @LimestoneInc - limestonenetworks.com - 877.586.0555

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan - Limestone View Post
    This is a horrible idea, though I understand why you are saying it. Please understand, equipment costs money, employees cost money, datacenters cost money.

By delivering 50% of the money, you are putting the host in a situation where they have to make YOU completely happy in order for you to pay the remainder. There are situations where clients can be upset about something. After all the initial few days of having a new server can be a bit of a nightmare.

Above all else, what if it turns out that you simply do not have the rest of the money? Is the host just supposed to eat the difference? Is the host just supposed to disable the server, almost surely getting a chargeback in the process?

I personally would be offended if this was proposed to me by a prospective client. It shows a complete lack of trust in the host. If you feel strongly that this is something you need to do, then you probably shouldnt go with that host.

/2cents
    I totally agree, and I've had this happen to me before. But there are times where the 50% rule should be implemented. Such as designers, 50% before and after. I would hate to spend hours on work and have the customer back off and not have any money. With 50% at least you know they are commited. But with servers its a completely different setting
    RageTracks.com -- Discover the latest Electronic Dance Music

ok, let's consider this example.

We have an unknown client, and an unknown hosting.
    And they don't trust each other, whichs apply 100% on any hosting case, where the hosting doesn't trust on new customers.

So then they agree on paying 50% now and 50% after the server is delivered. If the client "leaves" and never pay you the second half, then you don't have any connection cost and you can rent the hardware you already had before this client. So basically you don't loss anything.
    Now what would happen if customer pays 100% and the host scam him?

Who has more to loss?

it's not like a designer case, because a designer has to do all the work to get the second half and a host is charging for connection, hardware and support that is not going to provide if the client leaves at day 1.

So if you are not very famous / big / known hosting company, i don't think it's too crazy to have a 50 50 payment method.
    Last edited by xSau; 02-15-2008 at 07:59 PM.

If they do not trust a host with an initial month of server payment, why would they trust them with their data/business?

If the client leaves, the host still has costs associated with that sale, whether or not the server is provisioned to another client or not. Plus, if someone paid 50% of a servers cost, they would not simply abandon that money, that would very quickly end in having no money left to waste on paying for 1/2 of a server.

I can assure you that, even though there are companies out there who scam, there are tons of fraudulent orders, which cost companies a lot of money. There is just as much risk for the host as there is for the client. The client does have some financial risk, this is true, however you can be sure that just about any server out there costs much more than the 1st month's payment.

I would imagine smaller hosting companies that have such 50/50 payments do not last very long, or do not have that payment style for very long. It just does not seem like it would be very sustainable.

/2cents
    Ryan - Limestone Networks - Client Relations Manager
    Cloud, Dedicated & Enterprise Hosting - Premium Network - DDoS Protection Available
    Dedicated Servers @LimestoneInc - limestonenetworks.com - 877.586.0555

Well said Ryan, I agree 100%.

If you don't trust your host well enough to give them the full payment then I don't think you've done enough research. If you aren't satisfied you could always ask for a refund and if they refuse it then do a chargeback using your credit card or Paypal account. If I were in the same situation and selling a server with only 50% of the payment I would feel offended and insecure.
    Rageki Web Hosting Solutions - Canada & United States Web Hosting
    DirectAdmin & cPanel Control Panels
    99% Uptime!
    30 Day Money Back Guaranteed!

I'm sorry but this right here is a case of the customer getting scammed by the host so there is no point looking at it from an objective point of view, but rather subjective.

True there are fraudulent customers just as much as there are hosting scams but there, however, is no reason to state the obvious here just because this customer decided to give a hosting company a chance that He didn't trust entirely, and did He get what he deserve.

There could be a case where reputable hosting companies might not accept clients from certain demographics, or maybe on individual cases unless they pay, for instance, two months server costs as opposed to one. So there is always a gray side to on both ends.

Because this company decided to go for the 50/50 proposal, it is obvious they trusted the client, or were a scam because the server was never delivered.

I would suggest the user to go for a better hosting company next time without trying things out for fun. There is no point giving something a chance, and if you do, you should understand there is a risk involved. Do your research before you go ahead with something.

Just my two cents.

Sounds like maybe the host only gave a 50% effort in getting your server. A true case of getting what you paid for lol.
    Technical Advisor for new A&E Series The Killing Season
    There are no random acts of violence
    Starts November 5th!

Quote Originally Posted by gamer1888 View Post
    Because this company decided to go for the 50/50 proposal, it is obvious they trusted the client, or were a scam because the server was never delivered.
    they didnt actualy say they offered this 50/50 deal did they? i thought the poster had chose to make this rule themselves and only paid for half of it
    BX

Yes they did agree on that, anyway i was refunded last week.

To any moderator: you can lock this.

thx