Thread: mobile phone

mobile phone

Does anybody use a mobile phone to monitor their servers?

What monitoring software do you use?
    What phone do you use?
    Any other advice?

I am very new to mobile phone. I only have a land line.

Thanks.

We and all my friends are using their own custom solutions. Everything depends on you needs.

BTW, Seems that you're the last man in the world without a mobile phone

Quote Originally Posted by beow View Post
    We and all my friends are using their own custom solutions. Everything depends on you needs.

BTW, Seems that you're the last man in the world without a mobile phone
    I never caught on to mobile phones until now. But now it seems like a good idea to know when something goes wrong.

One that I found is Nagios:

http://www.nagios.org/products/notification/aql/

But I hear Blackberry is popular because it is 'always on'. Has anyone heard of server monitoring with such a device?

Thanks.

Blackberry has had a couple of major outages lately:

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=3052158

Anyway, whenever one of our servers has trouble - Nagios sends an alert to my admin, myself, our server monitoring guy and 2 of our techs via email to cell phone.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

I use SiteUptime to do the monitoring, and when something goes down, it just sends the alert to an offsite e-mail address which forwards it to my Blackberry. This can be done with just about any type of phone as well.
    ColoInSeattle - From 1U to cage space colocation in Seattle
    ServerStadium - Affordable Dedicated Servers
    Come visit our 18k sq ft. facility in Seattle!
    Managed Private Cloud | Colocation | Disaster Recovery | Dedicated Servers

HTC Touch with Windows Mobile 6.

I can access any of my control panels and I loaded putty on it. Great little tool when you are on the run.

Is the Touch OK? I have the BB 8830 but I'm looking at upgrading to the Touch.
    ColoInSeattle - From 1U to cage space colocation in Seattle
    ServerStadium - Affordable Dedicated Servers
    Come visit our 18k sq ft. facility in Seattle!
    Managed Private Cloud | Colocation | Disaster Recovery | Dedicated Servers

I have the cheapest Blackberry money can buy. No, it did not go out when the outages hit (does that classify it as a "dumb phone?"). All server notices are sent to my email which ends up at my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by VN-Ken View Post
    Is the Touch OK? I have the BB 8830 but I'm looking at upgrading to the Touch.
    I'd rather have the 8830 then the Touch or actually anything Windows mobile bound (I have a BB and a HTC TyTN and the BB is always on me and I'm dreading having the HTC). The reason is, at least in my area, the service sucks and mail takes forever to download, if it does at all as it'll make it's mind up that it doesn't want to talk to the server right now.

Even with the major outages for RIM, which is like 2 in a year, it's still solid in my mind. I also use exchange with BES to get near instant mail. Coupled that with Webmessgner Message alerts, I get alerted when someone more then just mail comes in.
    Last edited by steven99; 02-16-2008 at 12:24 AM.
    -Steven | u2-web, LLC - Clustered Shared Hosting
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" -Aristotle

I'm using my LG enV to remotely monitor and manage my servers. With a bit o' cell phone hacking I've managed to turn my LG enV into a wireless EVDO modem that provides high speed internet access for my laptop via bluetooth wherever there is cell server.

Works brilliantly
    SHAW NETWORKS Simple. Professional. Reliable. Web Hosting Done Right.
    Low Cost & Award-Winning: cPanel Reseller Plans 24/7/365 Live Technical Support
    Website: www.shawnetworks.com Fast Response E-mail: sales @ shawnetworks.com
    Sick of downtime? Fed up with excuses? Drop your host! Switch to Shaw Networks.

I have had no issues with my Touch. I did by a larger onscreen keyboard for $9.99 but it is flawless.

I also use it as a wireless modem for laptop as well.

emoze push mail on my Nokia E61i works great.
    WebHosting.com.bd - Web Hosting Bangladesh
    Limited Sites Per Server | cPanel | RVSiteBuilder PRO | Rapid Support | Pay-As-You-Go Reseller
    DomainDokan.com - Domain Registration Bangladesh
    Real-time Registration | Online Control Panel | Rapid Support | Turn-key Reseller