Angry Rant on Instant Messaging Help, etc.

Two madenning things I've come across while shopping around for a host.

1) "Instant Messaging" help that doesn't really do anything but send an email. Nice marketing gimmick for the home page they probably figure few if anyone will really use before they pay.

2) Not getting back to potential customer requests for information in a timely manner. You'd figure with all the thousands of of hosts out there, they'd be falling over themselves to reel in a potential customer.

I'm interested in Clicknet Solutions, but both above apply to them. This is a small improvement over the last company that I was interested in, PlanetGAC, who's server hasn't been reachable in 2 days. (I've written them off, of course). How frustrating.

-Vinny

What kind of instant messaging do you have a problem with? Like AIM?

Nah, I'm talking about chat apps on the host's home page that are supposed to be providing customer support. So, for instance, you could ask for technical support over chat. I've noticed a couple sites that have something like this set up but instead of contacting you with a live person it says "Leave a message", which effectively just sends an email to the company so they can answer it at their leisure. Check out Clicknet Solutions home page to see what I mean. It's the last box on the bottom left of the page.

You are absolutely right, Vdibart; that live technical support chat is just a gimmick, trying to show that a web host really does have 24/7 support, or so on. In fact, I have never seen one of those support chats on...just the leave a message button.
    Matt De Leon
    GreekComm - http://www.greekcomm.com/
    Online Community for Greek Fraternities and Sororities.

Originally posted by vdibart
    Nah, I'm talking about chat apps on the host's home page that are supposed to be providing customer support. So, for instance, you could ask for technical support over chat. I've noticed a couple sites that have something like this set up but instead of contacting you with a live person it says "Leave a message", which effectively just sends an email to the company so they can answer it at their leisure. Check out Clicknet Solutions home page to see what I mean. It's the last box on the bottom left of the page.

Yeah, I hate those things myself. Even when they are working, they aren't exactly a comfortable environment to talk in. I had one on our site for about 3 days. I hated it, our employees hated it, my partner absolutely detested it. Customers don't seem to like it either. Everyone seems to prefer AIM, MSN, etc, over those kind of programs.

Yep, 99.9999% of the time those "Live Chat's" either say "Unavailable" or "Leave a Message"; and are no better than email.

I wish autoresponders didn't exist. I hate it when I get a message that they have received my email, and then receive an answer later. Again, 99.9999% of the time, they got my email. I don't need no autoresponder to tell me that.

Hello,

I understand your frustration with our LiveResponse System. We are currently in the process of trying to find someone to staff. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Thanks,
    Andrew

Andrew,

While I've got your attention - the second point of my original email still holds. I think I sent an email yesterday requesting basic information and I have yet to hear a response. This doesn't give me the warm fuzzies as a potential customer. In general, if I can find another host, pay for the service, and have my site up and running in the time it takes you to respond to a question, you've probably taken too long. Thanks for listening to my rants.

-Vinny