Thread: Plesk Questions

Plesk Questions

Hello,

After a long search(we were first sure that we'd choose cpanel) we have come across an idea to get Plesk to our next control panel.

The thing is that at the moment I've got no idea how much resources Plesk takes, our target is to place about 300 clients on a plesk server with these specs:'
    AMD Athlon 64 X2
    5600+ Dual Core
    4 GB ram

(I know it all varies upon the type of customers

Second of all, I would like to know what ppl who have used Plesk themselves have liked in it. What are the pros and cons?

And also if there are ppl with WHMCS+Plesk, please give me a bit information how automated the system can be done? For example after ordering a webhosting package from whmcs and paying via paypal, is it possible to get the plesk automaticly create an account for that user and send the user information?

*EDIT: and also can I use same Plesk license on several servers or do I have to buy an own license for all the servers?

Cpanel doens't support Debian so it pretty much is out of the question.

Each server needs its own license. You can use Plesk Expand for nice multi-server support, too.

Plesk has an API which allows systems to create accounts and all that jazz.

I'm a huge fan of Plesk. Here are a few things compared to cPanel off the top of my head:

Pros:
    - Organized, unified interface. cPanel has a separate interface for the file manager, WHM, cPanel, and no real unity between them except for the Home/Logout buttons in the header.
    - Reliable. I've yet to find any serious bugs, whereas I've had cPanel delete all of my cron jobs, and other little things over the years.
    - Flexible licensing. If you're buying it outright, there's a little more leway for smaller users.

Cons:
    - Due to the heavy use of JS, Plesk can feel slow compared to cPanel or DirectAdmin. It's noticeably slower in Opera then FireFox.

Hi Dan L,

Thanks for the answer, it gave me great information.

Just to make sure though. You mentioned that all servers need an own license, is this really correct? Let's say that we host ourselves shared hosting accounts on 3 different servers and we would like to get all the servers running with plesk, we have to buy 3 plesk licenses? Would the plesk then run as invidual software on each server, we need basicly only one control software that can control all the servers via same interface.

You will need 3 licenses. I have used Plesk and have the opposite views on it, compared to Cpanel or Directadmin, Plesk seemed to use more resources, also Cpanel and Directadmin are very easy to use, installation is also a click, whereas Plesk tends to be more difficult to use and administer

If given the choice again, I would have taken Directadmin, sorta regretted taking Plesk, it is good but our company experiences are that we prefer Directadmin due to its ease of use.

Quote Originally Posted by Xylitol View Post
    The thing is that at the moment I've got no idea how much resources Plesk takes, our target is to place about 300 clients on a plesk server with these specs:'
    AMD Athlon 64 X2
    5600+ Dual Core
    4 GB ram

(I know it all varies upon the type of customers
    You could fit more than 300 clients on a server with those specifications (assuming you are on a 100mbit port and those 300 clients are not 300 resellers).

Plesk does not occupy much server resources on its own, it's the web services (Apache, MySQL, SMTP, POP3, etc.) that all servers run that will eat up your server resources.
    SHAW NETWORKS Simple. Professional. Reliable. Web Hosting Done Right.
    Low Cost & Award-Winning: cPanel Reseller Plans 24/7/365 Live Technical Support
    Website: www.shawnetworks.com Fast Response E-mail: sales @ shawnetworks.com
    Sick of downtime? Fed up with excuses? Drop your host! Switch to Shaw Networks.

Thanks boonchuan and Shaw Networks,

I think I will have to look to Directadmin again, as far as I know Plesk has not only all the features that Directadmin has but also more. SSH-connection should be rather easily configurable trough Plesk interface(we've planned to activate this only when asked and even then we need some reasons why we should activate the SSH-connection).

For some reason I'm at the moment too excited about Plesk so I've been neglecting Directadmin on the whole, I have to start being neutral again

BTW. Does any one know what the feature "10 server master" means in the Plesk Plus package?

*Edit. In general using DA would come a lot cheaper, but the last thing I want to do is to save money now and regret later. I have to start do some calculations and demotesting again :>
    Last edited by Xylitol; 02-17-2008 at 06:07 AM.

OH, and it seems that DA doesn't run php as cgi/fcgi by default? This is a serious flaw if this is true.

10 server master: http://www.parallels.com/en/products...ns/#master-lin

Between Plesk and DirectAdmin - open up a demo of each one as an administrator and compare them. Just using them side-by-side justifies the cost of Plesk for me.

I am not sure if I am doing something right or wrong. I just got myself my first Windows/Plesk server few days back, as of now its too complicated for me, I am almost lost in there. Then without touching any thing FTP went bad.

Creating physical hosting, clients, web users, ftp users and what not. Then I can't understand the way it creates zones, I can't find how a reseller get his private name servers, may be Plesk need more of my time.
    Vinsar.Net - Quality Web Hosting at Economical Price on USA & European Servers
    Offering domains, shared, reseller & VPS hosting.
    Reliable Domain Reseller Account Resell Domains with Confidence

Is it possible to install manually softwars to Plesk system? For example Spamassassin?

If not, There's no idea of buing the only unlimited domains license because you don't do crap with a software that has no antispam or any other good features.

Hallu =)

Yes it is possible to use Spamassasin with Plesk, there is a special plug-in to Plesk, so that you will be able easily to add the SpamAssassin management interface to your Plesk control panel

---

Do you know that it is possible to control NginX web server via Plesk + special patch?

Quote Originally Posted by Xylitol View Post
    Is it possible to install manually softwars to Plesk system? For example Spamassassin?

If not, There's no idea of buing the only unlimited domains license because you don't do crap with a software that has no antispam or any other good features.
    What email software do you plan to run with your setup, I know that Plesk has their own filters integrated with certain mail servers like MailEnable
    MXSCAN :: AntiSpam & AntiVirus Solution for MailEnable (now with MESSAGE SNIFFER Support!)
    Built-in SpamAssassin, ClamAV, DNSBL, URLBL, DCC Check, ShortCircuit, Regex/Keyword Filters, Disclamers, Archiving, Indexing and more.
    Visit www.mxuptime.com for info.

sorry,error post

The final resolution for this post.

We tested the plesk trial and we decided pretty soon that we will go for the extra mile to learn to use and install centos and get cpanel.

At the moment we are happy and satisfied cpanel-users.