Internet Connection Prices, Types and Limits

Hi,
    i am abroad more than several years and will to come back to NewYork.

i want to learn
    the prices of home internet connections (ie X$/mo)
    limits of connection (ie 10Mbps - 4Mbps)
    and
    types of connection (ie Cable, ADSL, GSHDSL)

What i want is to host my sites at home by hiring several static ips.

Regards.
    http://www.iTellit.org ~ unorganized forum site of my son.

I'm not sure this is the right forum for home internet connections, but it would definitely depend on the provider. Most all home internet is either ADSL or Cable.

If your site needs good uptime, I wouldn't suggest hosting on a home connection, many providers also have limitations in their terms. Your most likely to be suspended if your caught hosting on a home connection. Your better off buying hosting somewhere.

hi devonblzx,
    it does not need a good uptime, i will try to make a small room with an air condition, 2-3 database servers and several web servers.

i do not prefer hosting companies, because for 6-7 servers i need to pay more than 1500Usd monthly, there is no need to have a pro service for my servers. A desirable server is nearly 900$ with 4gb ram, intel quad 2.0, 300gb space but they cost more than 300+$ per mo to hire. And i prefer servers next to my bedroom for more than 6 years

This is why i am asking for home solution and if you want you can share your home internet connection info.

Currently i pay 59Euros for a 8Mbit/sec upload and 32Mbit/sec download. 2$ for 3 static ips. 8mbps is ok for my internet connection.

I expect a better upload at a better price at US, is it right?

I doubt it. That seems like a good price from what I see. Me personally, I pay $40/month (~20EUR) for 5mbit download/512kbps upload. I've never heard of any internet provider, atleast near me, that offers 8mbit upload, the most I have seen is closer to 2mbit and that's business DSL costing closer to $100/month.

I think you can find colocation for cheaper than $1500/month.

512Kbps upload is terrible, i think, here the smallest upload is 2Mpbs and download is 4mbps which is only 14Euros(~20Usd).
    I am confused now, because i expect better ratios from US.
    Here most people use home hosting because they start to learn Linux at college generally.

Windows is widely used at older ages over 30s but/perhaps an unseen official impact on young people prevents them to use Microsoft(İ am not against MS of course).
    They have a jargon that means "Pay for OS? Get out of here silly!"
    I think politically they do not wanna support any kind of American Companies any more.

Last 2-3 years even ordinary shop owners started to use local webmasters who use home/office hosting.

Before 2 years ago most people were using American Companies for hosting. At metro i could hear people whispering "aahh look at GoDaddy -or any other US company, just GD is known for cheapest DN prices- they increased hosting 500mb waoo" .
    Now most of them stop buying abroad hosting.
    And they say now they are not going to buy from a site that does not support their native language and etc...

Yeap business DSLs are good, simetric but i prefer a 5Mbit/sec upload to 10Mbit/sec dload to an expensive 8u to 8d DSL if DSL is double price.
    Last edited by Libertes; 02-14-2008 at 11:05 PM.

You can get larger connections to your home, however they are not cheap. You can get a cheap business connection from someone like Cogent, but the local loop fees are going to be more expensive than the bandwidth.

Most any home connection in the states is going to have stipulations. They will have common ports such as 25 and 80 blocked, and suspend your account for hosting.

You have to order business services if you wish to host, but your going to find that it's more expensive than 59eur for 8mbit upload. I highly doubt your getting true 32/8mbit for 59 euros. What the deal is is most likely they have cheap peering with a lot of european companies to be able to give you that speed, but when your accessing a host outside the peering you won't be able to reach those speeds. I could be wrong, but that seems like a common practice in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Libertes View Post
    No.

Expect to pay 4 or 5 times your current price, for a lower quality service than you have now.

It wiull be cheaper to colo your servers at a decent facility than try and run them in your bedroom.
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Quote Originally Posted by Libertes View Post
    Not at all. Most of the US is behind Europe in internet speeds. Many DSL and cable providers cap the upload at 512Kbps or lower.

The good news is that you're moving to New York, and the NYC metro area has pretty good internet options, such as Optimum Online or FiOS:

http://www.optimum.com/online/
    http://www.verizon.com/fios/

Keep in mind the most residential ISPs have terms in the TOS which prevent you from running a server at home.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***